Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Questions about paying duty/declaring vs. not
BajaDave
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-27-2005 at 01:04 AM
Questions about paying duty/declaring vs. not

Bringing some stuff in a small cargo hauler trailer down soon. In addition to the usual stuff brought for camping and playing that comes back with us, we're bringing a couple of sofas, a bed, and a few other items for our place this time as well. What are the ramifications of getting the red light vs. declaring, and also how much is the duty, as well as how much if any amount is duty free? If declaring, do they hassle/nitpick about camping gear and toys that are not staying in Mexico? Also, what'll pass for a receipt showing cost?

Thanks for any insight!

[Edited on 12-27-2005 by BajaDave]
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-27-2005 at 01:36 AM

First:

If you are towing a trailer it is almost certain you will get a red light so I would declare. It will give you the opportunity to distinguish between the stuff that stays, what comes back AND prevents a confrontational exchange. It also allows you to return (without penalty) if you can't come to terms. If you DON'T declare and get caught you could wind up paying fines AND/OR have everything (including your vehicle) confiscated.

Second:

What's the stuff worth? They're not stupid. If you make up a fake receipt they will know and you'll be back to square one. You MAY get away with it but you could also wind up having your car torn apart. Worth it? A legal declaration will cost you 18-20% at most.

Third:

If you have an FM3 you are allowed duty free importation of household goods. It's called a manaje de casa. Inquire at the consulate nearest you.

BajaDave
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-27-2005 at 01:58 AM

Thanks Dave-- I'm not inclined to risk it. I knew about the option to return, but didn't realize that it wasn't extended to those who don't declare, and that's the clincher. Sofas and beds are well used, and really aren't worth much. I've had them a LONG time and no longer have receipts, and don't want to hear someone say they have value beyond what they originally costed me (bought used), so was thinking receipts would be the way to nip that in the bud.

Are you allowed any amount of value to be imported duty free, as like coming into the U.S.?

Thanks again. I'd love to hear anecdotal posts of how Nomads have done at Mexican customs to give me an idea of what to expect.
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-27-2005 at 02:13 AM

Yeah, If you get a red light then they OWN you. If you declare you can always use return as a bargaining chip. Once, I brought down 8 used computers for a school donation and they wanted to charge me big time. I said, "send me back" and after 20 minutes of bargaining they let me go for $20.

Anything over $1,000 and you are supposed to use an importer but I've done it with more and gotten by.

I've known of a gringo that got caught with 46 cases of wine and talked his way through and also a National with $400 in plumbing supplies that got his car impounded. You just never know.

elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-27-2005 at 07:45 AM

Observation at San Ysidro crossing.

They have a person who sits in an a chair on an elevated platform facing south upon which they are able to see into the back of a pickup as well as observe the red/green light. They can signal to the hombres at aduana if you get the red light or if you get the green light but you have stuff in the truck that looks like it should be declared. It happened to us recently while bringing down an old dresser. It was not showing above the bed, we got the green but heard a whistle and an official steped out into traffic to wave us over for inspection. An enclosed trailer may garner the same signal/response from 'el observatorio'. We showed them the old dresser and they said 'hasta la vista'.

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-27-2005 at 11:18 AM

The duty free allowance for stuff brought in to Mexico is only $50 dollars per person, and as Dave said, the amount you can import without a broker is $1000. We haven't brought in used items yet , but so far it's gone smoothly with the new things we've paid duty on since we've only claimed items up to $1000 dollars (per person) each time.

I made itemized lists of the things we had (in spanish to show a little effort) in the same format that they use on their facturas so it's as easy as possible for them. They will deduct the $50 off your total before calculating the tax. I bring all the sales receipts, tax ID's for the merchants, countries of orgin etc, but so far no one has looked at anything but the lists I typed up.

Unless you pay to import items brought in to Mexico for home construction or improvement, you can't claim them to reduce your Mexican capital gains tax liability when you sell.

They've had us open the trailer and we pointed out the items on the list. They looked right past the 6 surfboards (for 2 people), patio furniture (I mean, "camping furniture") ice chests, spare tires, etc. We went to the bank window and paid the duty and then back to the card table to get the stamp. Then you walk over and push the button- so far we've gotten the green. It's still a little tense until we get past this stage ( because there's still the 6 compartments of our truck's utility bed, and the entire back seat of our crew cab-with the seat removed for extra capacity, not to mention compartments inside the camper...)

We drive a truck with a camper which covers the "camping" items if we ever need it. If you're pulling your trailer with your Seville, you may not be able to get away with an excessive amount of tourist items as easily.

The only broker experiences I've ever read about were by BobandSusan who like to go through Otaymesa. That sounds like an all-day event that I'd like to avoid and it would be interesting to hear about experiences using a broker at San Ysidro , or better yet Tecate.

[Edited on 12-28-2005 by oladulce]
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 12-27-2005 at 11:35 AM

...I ALWAYS pay 24%...they like me....

This year I'll import French Doors....I'll report when I do this

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-27-2005 at 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
...I ALWAYS pay 24%...they like me....

Hint:

If you don't need a factura and/or it's less than $1000 always use San Ysidro. Otay tacks on brokerage fees.

mcgyver
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-27-2005 at 12:54 PM
Declare

I can tell you about Los Agadones: I had never bothered to drive thru the declare lane where you are supposed to park and get out and walk over and push a button for the red or green light. I had carried across tons of stuff with a "Pase'.
One morning with a fiberglass shower stall in 3 huge boxes I drove up as always, they had me pull over and come in to the office where I was informed I was under arrest and would be sent to Mexicalli for trying to evade duty, I claimed ingnorance, they did not have any one availabe to drive my new Tacoma so we waited and I bargained. They chewed on me for 30 minutes and then took me out and demostrated how to pull up to the chain in the "Declare Lane" and get out and walk over behind a bush and push the button on the post. They statred making an inventory of my load, then I produced Home Deppot register receipts, he said why didi you not do that at first! then I whipped out our FM-3's. Then he listed everything ($850 worth) deducted $350 from that and said I am charging you $34 duty and you must go back out and push the button and if it comes up green you can go but next time you must be in the declare lane, to do otherwise is intent to smuggle and you will be arrested. So now I go in the declare lane and they say " Pase'.
I later went the the website and it explains the laws completly but it says the Red/green is random. Yes and I am Houdini!

Now I know dozens of people who do not declare and have never had a problem, and I know that some like David K. never had a problem at all in Baja in all their years of travel.. Me I have had stuff stolen at the checkpoints, been asked for my drivers lisence at check points, had the Mexican army land a heilcopter near my and tell me to get rid of my ham radios and some other aventures in the back country with them, so now I have an FM-3 , I go thru the declare lane and all you people who just drift around clueless thinking you are geniouses, your day is coming so don't give me any BS.

Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-27-2005 at 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mcgyver
they had me pull over and come in to the office where I was informed I was under arrest and would be sent to Mexicalli for trying to evade duty

I'm always amazed at stories gringos tell about smuggling stuff in. I guess they think the Mexicans are stupid. And these same folks would never, ever think of doing the same thing Northbound.

Remember, all it takes is meeting up with the wrong agent on the wrong day.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-27-2005 at 05:41 PM

Just to be clear, I am officially a 'tourist' (but I prefer being called a traveler) as I do not have or keep any property in Mexico. I am not building any structure or leasing any land.

I have never had anything stolen in my 40 years of Baja travels nor had any hassels at any military checkpoint. Maybe it is how I use my head or have a positive attitude and try to speak THEIR language.

Broken 'the law'... yes:

I have brought used childrens clothing (my kids have outgrown, for the poorest of the poor) across the border and that is illegal... Clothes went to jrbaja and Juanita at Cielito Lindo because in both cases they knew the best places for those clothes to go.

Max, you are going to get Oso all worked up again with your spelling of Los Algodones! LOL

Maybe see you next weekend???

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-27-2005 at 05:51 PM

Tow years ago, a buddy of mine who shall remain nameless, brainstormed a way to get electronics, furnishings, cabinets, appliances and a few other goodies into Baja for installation in his new Los Barilles home.

He actually got away with this;
He leased a large single unit truck and within two weeks he installed the solar/generator/batteries/controls, cabinets, appliances, wood flooring (click together), and added some furniture to make the thing look like a traveling RV/truck. He didn't actually connect many of the goodies but just enough to make it look good.

They got to Barilles and unloaded then reinstalled into the new house and drove back in the empty truck. Crazy gringos will try anything !!
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-27-2005 at 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Diver
Crazy gringos will try anything !!

Yep. I wonder if he ever added up all the expense and labor vs actually paying the duties. :biggrin:

bigboy
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-27-2005 at 07:01 PM

I too am going to bring down used items for my house in Ensenada! Most of the items are used kitchen appliances such as a microwave, toaster oven, utensils etc. Also a used 17" TV, stereo receiver, speakers, CD and VHS player. The only new items are bedroom items such as sheets, blankets and bedspread. I have receipts for the new items but not the used.
What should I expect to pay for the used items and who determines the value of them?
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 12-27-2005 at 07:06 PM

They have a BIG book of values...

These are common items that inspectors see everyday...

my guess is 17%

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 12-27-2005 at 07:18 PM

if you cross after 12 midnight Dec 31 there wont be a sole there.

but Dave's advice is what I always do.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Mexray
Super Nomad

Mood: Baja Time

[*] posted on 12-27-2005 at 07:58 PM
And that's why we always cross in the wee hours of the morning...

...say, between 4:00AM - 6:00AM. We don't really to take many, valuable things with us to 'camp'. Last October, we pulled into the 'declare' lot at San Ysidro - had to get our tourist visas. When leaving, the fellow at the 'pase' light switch was totally asleep! We waved to a guy over by the regular lanes, who yelled at the guy sleeping in the chair. the guy woke up, looked around, then at us and waved us through without even asking us to 'push the button' !I think he was sound asleep before we got out into traffic!

Things are usually more on the 'relaxed' side in the wee hours of the morning!

As for declaring used stuff, there's always 'receipts-R-us' as worked up on your home computer...you can make a nice heading for Joe's Used Appliances', etc. etc, list your stuff and use some believable "used pricing". Make more from other 'vendors' if required. A guy I knew, NEVER takes "new" stuff across - removes all packaging, smears a little 'dirt' on stuff, and brings his 'used' receipts...

According to my clock...anytime is \'BAJA TIME\' & as Jimmy Buffett says,
\"It doesn\'t use numbers or moving hands It always just says now...\"
Dave
Elite Nomad

lol.gif posted on 12-27-2005 at 09:42 PM
You guys are killing me

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexray
As for declaring used stuff, there's always 'receipts-R-us' as worked up on your home computer...you can make a nice heading for Joe's Used Appliances', etc. etc, list your stuff and use some believable "used pricing". Make more from other 'vendors' if required. A guy I knew, NEVER takes "new" stuff across - removes all packaging, smears a little 'dirt' on stuff, and brings his 'used' receipts...

...smears a little dirt on stuff...:lol::lol:

I'd love to be a fly on the wall in whatever place these guys go to have a drink after shift:

"Hey, Pancho! you won't believe what this P-nche said to me today."

"Yeah, well I got the same story about ten times."

"Tomorrow, Let's bust the fourth blue ford explorer through the gate."

"Nah, how about the sixth green pathfinder."

"Ok, but remember to act like Barney Fife. They expect it"

Mexray
Super Nomad

Mood: Baja Time

[*] posted on 12-28-2005 at 12:10 AM
Dave...this guy was an equal opportunity smuggler...

...before coming back north, he would fill a couple of 5 gallon water jugs with Tequila (back when it was much cheaper), put some seals on them and put them in his boat! Alas, I guess all that Tequila finally got to him, as he's made that ultimate 'Border Crossing' to another life...

According to my clock...anytime is \'BAJA TIME\' & as Jimmy Buffett says,
\"It doesn\'t use numbers or moving hands It always just says now...\"
BajaDave
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2005 at 12:59 AM

Thanks everyone. I have receipts for the new stuff and made reasonable receipts with the computer for the old stuff, ala Mexray.

Now, what's the deal with pushing the button? You're already there, so I assume they look through your vehicle and trailer already, right? What's the light for? Extra scrutiny? Cavity search?
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.