Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Small Inverters ?
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2005 at 07:43 AM
Small Inverters ?

I want to buy a small inverter to use for charging radios, 18V tools, laptop etc. I was thinking of the cigarette lighter variety. We would run it off our 2 camper batteries or run the deisel truck for a while ?? Never had one before.

Any recommendations or words of wisdom ?

Can I use the same inverter to run a small TV or blender ?
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2005 at 07:46 AM

The only experience I have had with the cigarette lighter variety was not good. It would not blow up an air mattress, the kind that has an airpump included.

Royosbaja

[*] posted on 12-28-2005 at 07:59 AM

We have a 400w inverter that is the kind you are refering to. It can be pluged into the lighter socket or hooked directly to a battery. Have used it for the laptop without any problems, (from a set of two batteries, as well as the truck).
Only issue was when using from batteries or when the truck was not running. The inverter has an automatic shutdown that will prevent it from draining the "source." This prevents it from sucking all the juice out of your battery, probably a good thing.
I have never tried to use it to "recharge" portable tooling.
As far as a blender or other appliance, you would need to check the wattage of the appliance and ensure the inverter is large enough to operate it.

Good luck.
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2005 at 08:08 AM

Any particular brands ? Where to buy ?
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2005 at 08:36 AM

2 400 watt units for $25 is a pretty good deal. I've paid about $20+ for one in the past - never had a problem running laptop or christmas lights (decorated desert buggy)

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 12-28-2005 at 09:04 AM

Blender....TV...400w too small

I had a 400w and it was too small for the boat blender.

I got a 700w for $49 and have been happy since then

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
turtleandtoad
Senior Nomad

Mood: Good if fishing

[*] posted on 12-28-2005 at 10:20 AM

Xantrex; Prosine; Vector; There are dozens of manufacturers.

Most cigarette lighters won't give you enough power to do much no matter what size inverter you have. The wires to the lighter are too small to handle the load for extended periods of time. They were designed for short-time use. If you use one, make sure to check out the wires (both the pos and the neg) to make sure they aren't heating up. I've seen a lot of wire loom fires caused by this.

You're better off if you get one with alligator clips and connect directly to the battery.

Another thing to check is if you need a sine-wave output or will a modified sine-wave (square-wave) work. Some equipment won't work on the square wave. My DVD player just cycles from off to on when plugged into a square wave, same for my electric blanket until I switched to some blanket controls I had from an older blanket (I kept them when the blanket quit, don't know why). For more info on waveforms and typical appliance loads, check out "www.xantrex.com"

Check out "www.invertersRus.com" or "DonRowe.com" for a selection of various manufacturers. I use Xantrex, myself but it's a little bigger (2500W)

Mike & Robin; Full-Time RV\'ers
37\' Georgetown w/3 slides & 275 Watts of Solar Power
06 Taco TRD
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

To paraphrase Frank Lloyd Wright; I\'m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let\'s start with keyboards. -- Mike Dean
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 12-28-2005 at 11:10 AM
Small Inverters

I've used (and am still using) numerous "Statpower" Inverters (now owned by Xantrex) and they are GREAT. Low no-load current draw. My oldest functioning Statpower 150W is Twenty years Plus. I have a newer Statpower Prowatt 150 powering my Direcway, Dishnet receiver and 10" Color TV in my office space.
I use the older ones now for charging numerous cordless tools, radios, etc.

When you look at Small Inverters, look for units that DON'T use a small cooling fan, but simply use passive cooling ribs. The fan will use more current than the no-load draw of the inverter. Compare No-Load specs when shopping. They vary from model to model. The "Coleman" and others like it have a relatively high no-load draw.
soulpatch
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2005 at 05:39 PM
Who makes your 18v batteries?

I found out from the manufacturer of mine(Milwaukee) that unless it is sinewave they eat batteries. I found this out from experience, too, unfortunately.

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2005 at 06:08 PM

What would sinewave have to do with the batteries?:?:

our website is:
jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2005 at 06:26 PM

wire size is the key to inverters when you get to 2500 w your battery wires should be as big around at your thumb
have a good one jerry

jerry and judi
soulpatch
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2005 at 06:28 PM
Re: Sinewave

I have no idea. I just know that I ate two batteries and then checked w/the manufacturer and they said no on the modified sinewave.....them things ain't cheap.

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2005 at 06:33 PM

jerry your right...expensive!!!

I'll have to research modified sine wave but i think they bs'ed you.

our website is:
soulpatch
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2005 at 06:37 PM

Think what you want. I learned my lesson after the fact. I'm sure it's just me.

bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2005 at 06:48 PM

I too have rechargable batteries that didn't like mod. sinewave. A neighbor had the same problem and contacted the mfgr. who sent them a different charger then no more problems. It's not the battery it's the charger that's particular, at least in our cases. But lots of rechargables like it fine - I have 3 battery powered drills that charge just fine - and they're the cheaper ones. Also my recharger for AA-C-D cells works just fine as does my 3 laptop computers and 2 printers. Other than the one brand of rechargable battery (for one of those Jump Start deals), a digital answering machine and a VCR, I have found nothing that has problems with the modified sinewave. Been living off the grid with solar panels, 6V batteries and inverters for over 10 years now.

:spingrin:

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
turtleandtoad
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2005 at 06:48 PM

The waveform affects the purity of the DC output. Some (most?) chargers cannot filter the modified sinewave enough and the DC out has dips and spikes that destroys batteries (this is a very rough explanation, a technically correct would be over most peoples head). That's another good reason to not skimp if you're going to go that route.

That's another good reason to try for a DC input charger if all you're going to do is charge batteries. And as Braulio has pointed out, using an inverter is very inefficient for battery charging, you are converting DC to AC in the inverter and then converting the AC to DC in the charger. You lose efficiency in each step.

Jerry, actually my cables are about 1-1/2 times the size of my thumb, with a 300 amp fuse protecting them. :O

For battery charging only, I'd go for a solar panel and charge controller. They come in all sizes, including portable set-ups.

As shown in my sig, I use solar to charge my battery bank that supplies my 2500W inverter.

06 Taco TRD
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

To paraphrase Frank Lloyd Wright; I\'m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let\'s start with keyboards. -- Mike Dean
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2005 at 06:51 PM

Soulpatch...i guess you're right..
http://www.bitterrootsolar.com/help/basic-solar.htm

Get rid of the :lol:

our website is:
jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2005 at 08:18 PM

hea tourtle and toad how far you running those wires the distence make a lot of difference too, thers a formula and i allway upsize everything. works better if its not overloaded boy the big inverters sure have gonnen cheap 20 yrs ago a 2500w heart cost $2500 have a good one jerry

jerry and judi
turtleandtoad
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2005 at 08:39 PM

Yeah Jerry,
I'm running the cables from the Battery bank to the inverter about 10 ft.

I know the formulas, I'm a retired electrical/electronics system designer. That's why they are so big.

The inverter battery bank is two 6 volt L16H 420 AH Trojan batteries. I run everything AC in my coach off the inverter when I'm boondocking, including the TV and Microwave. I also have another battery bank for the DC systems and a third for the engine/chassis.

Oh, yes they are expensive but they've come down somewhat. I paid about $1600 for mine

[Edited on 12-29-2005 by turtleandtoad]

06 Taco TRD
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2005 at 08:49 PM

does the microwave color tv hair dryer and curling iron pop a few breakers
just kidding i know you need to ration them out so its not too mutch at any one time
i been hearing costco has some 2000W inverters for less then $100?? you know anything about that??
have a good one jerry

jerry and judi
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.