Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Propane refrigerators
oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2005 at 11:54 AM
Propane refrigerators

Any opinions or experiences with gas fridges that are available in Baja? Reliable, cost effective propane consumption, prices etc ?

We're trying to decide whether to bring in one like the Servel 8cf model fridge/freezer (about $1200 before import duty) or to look at Mexican models.

We don't need a huge one for now and because of our inconvenient location (if service is needed), reliabilty and quality are important.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 12-31-2005 at 12:12 PM

A LOT of people in Punta Chivato are using NEW electric units that their solar will handle

New units take a lot less electricty....

You should look into these too as the price is a lot lower.

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
mcgyver
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2005 at 12:55 PM

Check out www.warehouseappliances.com, they are Baja people and have 26 years experince. I bought the "Consul" Model and an well pleased with it.

Mexray
Super Nomad

Mood: Baja Time

[*] posted on 12-31-2005 at 09:47 PM
Mac...I think you may mean...

http://www.warehouseappliance.com

...there's no 's' at the end. Lots of stuff on their web site!

[Edited on 1-1-2006 by Mexray]

According to my clock...anytime is \'BAJA TIME\' & as Jimmy Buffett says,
\"It doesn\'t use numbers or moving hands It always just says now...\"
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 1-22-2006 at 08:45 AM
Propane reefers from warehouseappliance.com

We bought quite a few appliances over the years from Fletcher at Warehouse Appliance. The latest were these two CrystalCold propane refrigerators. They have reversible door swings and have large, separate freezer compartments. We mounted them on a custom base cabinet about 1 foot high. They are very economical propane users and will make ice cubes in rapid time when we first turn them on upon arriving back in Baja.

Their cost was around $1100 each if I recall. Fletcher Dunn is a great guy to do business with and has gone to great lengths to insure our warranty work at Howells RV in San Diego. We certainly recommend him highly and his products are tested in Baja.

DYNSMX/ Warehouse Appliance
P.O. Box 494, Paulden, AZ 86334
520-636-1955 off.
520-636-1956 fax

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
mcgyver
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2006 at 09:43 AM

Very good post Pamano. I have the Zero cold freezer and Consul fridge from Flecther too. Since both my wife and I are tall I put the fridge on a 18" platform, stowage underneath, fastened to the wall for earthquake protection. The new models have built in thermometers, I added digital indoor/outdoor ones to mine with the sensor passing through the drain hole in the back, it maintains 35.5 degrees in the cabinet. I also added a tiny 12 volt fan from an old inverter that blows across the coils preventing any frosting up and making the cabinet an even temperature through out. I put a 10 watt, 5 ohm ceramic resistor in the line to slow the fan down some.
It uses 7 gallons of propane every 30 days, the specs say 29.5 days average so its on the spot, cost .64 cents per day.
A neighbor has gone the electric route with 10 solar panels, 12 big batteries and still has to run the generator with the slightest cloud cover. I'll stick to the propane for now.

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2006 at 12:21 PM

I agree with you on those electric models for solar homes. We run one electric 15cft model only occasionally for parties on our solar system, but usually have to run the genset to pump the batteries back up again because of the drain. We have 16 panels and 16 6-volt batts (in 24 series)..why dedicate them all to work an electric fridge full-time?

These propane reefers are the ticket and like you say, only pennies a day to operate. I use a small battery-operated RV fan in each to better circulate the cold air.

oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2006 at 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
We bought quite a few appliances over the years from Fletcher at Warehouse Appliance. The latest were these two CrystalCold propane refrigerators. They have reversible door swings and have large, separate freezer compartments.
Their cost was around $1100 each if I recall.

Their site lists their smallest CrystalCold fridge at $1600, and yours looks like the model that is currently $1950- both prices are before shipping.

I do like the size of your freezers Pompano and Warehouse Appliance gets lots of recommendations. Too bad he doesn't carry Servel which I found for $900 (before shipping ) for the same size as the Crystal Cold for $1600- that $700 difference is the reason I hadn't considered the CC.

Servel seems to get consistently positive reviews and I only need a small model for now.

I agree with Mcgyver, and even though the newer electric models use less power, we'll stick with propane.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2006 at 03:50 PM

Hi oladulce,

Read your post and got to puzzling about my memory, so looked up the old invoices in my files. I am glad to say my memory banks have not completely burned out. I bought the pair on 11/2/00 delivered to Chatsworth, CA from Arizona for $1,175 each = $2,350 for two.

I guess we got a VERY good deal. But then, we had bought a truckload of other stuff from Fletcher and he does give you rewards in service and product reliability. Plus the fact that our purchase was 5 -1/2 years ago when things were cheaper.

Over the years I have used Servil, Sibir, Consul, Dometic, Norcold, and now CrystalCold gas fridges. The best for us are the CrystalCold, Sibirs, and Norcolds.

We will be looking for the prices to come down on the new solar models, and their effeciency ratings.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.