Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: The Baja Pole Line Road - Dec. '05
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 12-31-2005 at 10:44 PM
The Baja Pole Line Road - Dec. '05

Trip #3 along the Baja Pole Line Road was both hardcore, and relaxing. Our group of 5 Jeeps and 1 Ford Explorer started at the sandy salt-flats of the Laguna Salada. Avoiding the jolting washboard which leads to Guadalupe Canyon was our objective. A real nice kid named 'German' and his friends drove up in a stock Volkswagon Bug. Being a fan of 1600cc Bugs, German wanted to visit with our group, and follow us to Guadalupe Cyn. "No Problem...Follow us!" I told German, and we were off to the Canyon.

Once arrive at Guadalupe Canyon, we were greeted by an uncharacteristic amount of confusion and tension as Canyonman Rob met our group, and told us our camp assignment had suddenly changed. Family members of Arturo Loya's followed our group, and immediately demanded our reservations form that had been printed out on computer. It was later explained to us that proof of reservations were required in order to stay in the Canyon - causing a sense of tension between Rob and his in-laws who own/operate the campground. Bad vibe from the start.:no:

Our group promptly unpacked the Jeeps, and jumped in the water. We noticed several dogs prancing through our two campsites with all of the requisite dog tags from the U.S., while pony-tailed bohemians glared at us from a distance. Bad vibe #2. :no:

With all of these bad vibes, I decided on a beer to sooth the nerves, and the kids (Noeh and Pancho) goofed around, making for a more light-hearted environment. I was so glad Chris brought his son, and son's friend. These two little guys were a delight for everyone to have around.

Our group ate dinner together, and turned in early...since most of us were up at around 3 a.m. in order to reach Mexicali for breakfast at 7:30 a.m.

OUCH!:O

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2005 at 10:56 PM
Day 2

Upon registering with Canyonman Rob, an anonymous pony-boy greeted us with his panic stricken face, and demands to drive his Expedition down the canyon road. I told him, "Our group is 6 Jeeps deep", and that he would have to wait. I agreed to pull the Jeeps off the road once he backed his SUV up to the cinderblock restrooms and waited off to the side.

Wait, do Bohemian's drive Expeditions? This guy had some Native American decals on the back window, so I found this confusing. Nevertheless, we promptly cleared the road and allowed him and his 'partner' to pass.

Fast Fwd to the next morning:

It was now 9:15 a.m., and we just met a nice guy named 'Mike' who drove out with his wife from Houston, TX. They met Mike's parents in Tucson, where they drove out for some rest and relaxation. I showed them possible routes from G.C. to Hwy 5 where Mike planned to pick up the Hwy and travel down to Hwy 3 and on to Mike's Sky Rancho. "Great Place to visit!" I told him and the family. I also reminded Mike to get an early start since that road is nothing to play with at night.

Our group departed G.C. at 10:30 a.m.
Next Stop: Cohabuzo Junction...

Lunch came and went and we were promptly on the trail - our destination was the sandy El Jamau wash.

SCORE racers had turned our sandy route into a whoop-covered nightmare. Slow speed, and plenty of patience got us to El Jamau right around 3:30 p.m. Three hours from Cohabuzo Junction - and too far from Canyon Enmedio, our planned destination. So, we bedded up for the night. Many of the guys brought loads of wood to burn at the camp, and we listed to Electronic Ambient music and roasted marshmellows as some watched for falling stars. Right around 4 a.m., a constant breeze turned into a major windstorm, blowing down Michael's tent, making the poor guy upset in the process. Anyone who has ever met Michael know him as a kind-hearted man who is both soft-spoken and easy going. Too bad this happened to such a nice guy...

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2005 at 11:22 PM
Day 3

After packing up from our sand-blasting, we departed right around 9:30 a.m. - our destination...BASKETBALL HILL!

At the top of the El Jamau plateau, we turned left instead of right at the old fence, taking our group to the remnants of an old campo. Turning around, Chris took the guys back to the main trail in search of the fence. He found it, and took me to confirm his findings. We confirmed everything, and I drove up the trail to reach everyone by CB Radio. They picked up the trail in timely fashion, and out came my video camera. See, I planned to tape the trail highlights and any mishaps that happened along the way.

After parking at the top of a long grade, I ran downhill with my new videocam, and began filming. Everyone made it through the big washout except for Brad. He tried to 'crawl up a large rock in the trail, but only dented his front license plate in the process. Scratching his head, he proceeded, and we were off towards Canyon Enmedio.

Once we crested the saddle, we were greeted with another washout. This one required some intense study in order for everyone to walk down it safely. Ruts combined with a 4 foot drop off made some drivers nervous - for good reason. Being in the lead, I made the drive down, followed by Paul in his Tomb Raider-edition Rubicon. Paul and I drove down the trail, and provided spotting and videography. Our party made it through this section of trail, and were promptly on the trail...searching for some cobblestone.

As we neared Canyon Enmedio, a white watertank presented itself with two pairs of old military boots beside a new(er) can of baked beans. :?:
Our party played around on the water tank, with Isaiah and Pancho climbing the tanks' ladder rungs. The two guys climbed straight to the top of the tank and posed as if in the movie King Kong. Time was wearing on and it was now 1:30 p.m. but we were close to the 'Perfect Cobblestone Hill.'

By 12:40 p.m., we reached to Cobblestone Hill, and I pointed out to everyone that the white-painted rocks would present themselves until the end of the trail. We posed for photographs, and we drove to the mouth of Canyon Enmedio where we broke for lunch before the nasty drive south into Oil Pan Wash.

After a quick lunch, our group traveled downstream over rocks and boulders finally to Basketball Hill. For such a menacing trail, its' only identifying trait was a few ducks stacked at its' entrance, and some large mesquite trees blocking views of the narrow canyon and cut telephone poles.

Once inside of the canyon, our group quickly devised a plan where we would stack rocks under Brad's guidance. Brad frequenty leads and attends group runs in Moab, Utah where rock-stacking gets drivers from trailhead to end of trail. Chris drove his Explorer up the canyon, where a moving rock damaged his newly fabbed McNeil Racing rock slider. Chris didn't let this phase him as he continued his way up Basketball Hill with Brad spotting. 30 minutes later, Chris reached the BBHill summit, and it was my turn.

Brad provided spotting help for myself and most others taking our group up this "impassible" canyon in just under 2 hours. At the top of this hill, we posed for a photo, and were off to Canyon Jaquegel!

By this time, it was now 5:30, and several washouts presented themselves as we descended along the canyon wall into the wash down below. Our plan was to drive as far up into the canyon as we could - we reached a cool oasis with a broad sandy bank where we pitched our tents, started a roaring camp fire, spied coyotes up the canyon using Chris' night-vision goggles.

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2005 at 11:30 PM
Day 4

After packing our Jeeps, and jump-starting Chris' Explorer, we decided on a good old-fashioned hike up the canyon to check out the hunting blinds there.

With videocam in hand, we reached the hunting blinds, but not without losing our group, and having to walk back along a throny path, but it was definitely worth every second of it.

Our party left the campsite at 10:15 a.m. - a little late for this particular day, but it would have to do.

On this last day, our group lost and then found; entered and exited wash after wash, and finally, made the long climb up a nice 4WD hill that provided views of a double-pointed butte. Isaiah took pictures of this unusual butte and we made fast work of the nasty hill that needed some serious maintenance work.

By 5:15 p.m., our group crossed the broad, lower Canyon Jaquegel arroyo and were on the tricky road leading towards the Laguna Salada. We reached the area near Hwy 5 at 7 p.m. and aired up our tires. After a drive to the Pemex station, our group on our way to Calexico and then off in different directions.

4 Days can sometimes be too long, or too short. 3 days on the Pole Line Road, and 1 day at Guadalupe Canyon. While we were ready for our hot showers and warm beds, that trail satisfied our appetites for rocks and dirt like no other Baja trail can...

Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2006 at 07:37 AM

Great story Ken, thanks for sharing !
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2006 at 08:14 AM

Thanks for the report Ken.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2006 at 08:23 AM
The Pole Line Road Drivers:

The Pole Line Road Drivers:

Anita

Brad and Rhoda

Mike

Chris

Paul

Ken
(Trail Hands - Left to Right: Pancho, Isaiah, and Noah

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 1-1-2006 at 05:17 PM
Wow, Ken-----what a great report, and photos-----

You went into some really great country, Ken. I have only been as far south as Cohabuzo Junction, but now I know that I have to explore further south, some day. Thanks for all the great pics, and your narrative is great, too!!!

Some day, you need to turn west at Cohabuzo Jcn. and then a little north into the Canyon El Palomar. You used to be able to drive all the way west up to the Rancho (in the Baja Almanac) titled "El Palomar". I camped out there at the Rancho for a week back in about l959----beautiful country, with huge palm groves, and water, and a hot spring further up the canyon. The road was washed out totally by the 1976 Tropical storm "Kathleen", and the following year by tropical storm "Nora" (I think?), but I hear that it has been somewhat restored. Always wanted to go back up there, but just never got it done. In '59 there was a real nice family living there.

Thanks again for your neat report.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2006 at 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A. In '59 there was a real nice family living there.

1 yr. ago, I believe Neal Johns took us to this area where we stopped and fished around for Native American arrowheads and stuff. Because I speak Spanish, and because I was the Trail Boss, I reluctantly walked up to the nearby Rancho to tell the (Native American/Indio) family that we wanted to stop for lunch there. As I walked up to the old man standing on his front stoop, there was a younger Native American man hunched below his pickup ready to jump me. I turned and also talked to him as I asked permission, and he stood to his feet and later shook my hand. During lunch, the old man stood above us watching our every move. Unfortunately, a pair of gringos in our group "borrowed" some Metates belonging to this area. I know this because the metates fell out of their Izusu when I spoke to them about trail conditions the next morning. Live and learn with regard to who you invite along on Baja adventures, I guess...:no:

Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2006 at 07:00 PM
Ken-----

You are so right about who you take with you on Baja adventures-------this is why we usually ended up going by ourselves, or with folks we knew really well.

In the next canyon north of Palomar (we called it "Alomar") if you drive up as far as you can, you come to a place totally blocked by huge, white granite boulders. In, and about, those huge boulders are many fine petroglyphs, and bedrock grinding (matates) depressions. This place was obviously used by the natives for many years-----usually a pretty good stream is running here, also. Also, in the lower reaches of Canon Palomar are many fine petroglyphs, and pictographs that can be accessed by driving up wash from the area where Alomar and Palomar are closest together, as I remember. There can be some quicksand in the wash bottoms that can trap a vehicle pretty quick.

The last time I was in this area was in 1985, with my son. We dinked around this area for several weeks, never seeing anybody else but the Indian woodcutters. All these canyons on the face of the Sierra Juarez are fasinating.

As was proved to me by my questionable memory about Canon Agua Caliente recently on this board, my memory apparently does tricks on me, so my directions may be a little screwed up, and mixed up, but the fact that these canyons can take a lot of exploring, and time, is deffinitely true.

I gotta go back and refresh my experiences, that is for sure.
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2006 at 10:10 PM

In his book "Mexico's Magis Square" Earl Stanley Gardner talks of exploring this area. Interesting reading about the area you are talking about.

:biggrin:

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-3-2006 at 12:28 PM

Great report Ken!

Can you make a map showing just the Pole Line Road with these new place names you are using pointed out... or use an existing map or Sat. image with these places pointed out ... ??

Many thanks!!

[Edited on 1-3-2006 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-3-2006 at 12:31 PM

This and the previous maps are from notes given me by Neal Johns...

[Edited on 1-4-2006 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2006 at 01:02 PM
Wow, David (and Neal Johns)------(and Lou)

-------these maps are invaluable!!! Thank you very much. It will be really interesting to see what Ken can come up with by plugging in the new place names---------I have already transferred all this "road" info into my Almanac.

I impatiently wait for the results from Ken---------(-:

Lou---------I also have Gardner's "Mexico's Magic Square", and you are right----it is very interesting what he has to say about this area. Thanks for your feedback, and for clueing me in.

Barry
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2006 at 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
-------these maps are invaluable!!! Thank you very much. It will be really interesting to see what Ken can come up with by plugging in the new place names---------I have already transferred all this "road" info into my Almanac.

I impatiently wait for the results from Ken---------(-:
Barry

Barry,

We pinpointed waypoints, but unfortunately, our Baja Almanac was not as accurate as the GPS data was. Additionally, we had to cut and squirm through washes and on the road itself so much that keeping accurate detail might be problematic. Also, Brad and Rhoda's GPS flags did not save enough times to create a solid map.
:?: :?: :?:

The turnoff to Guadalupe Canyon [N32 13.063 W115 42.283]

Basketball Hill [N31 34.935 W11526.281]

White water tank [N31 36.822 W115 30.070]

[Edited on 1-4-2006 by Ken Cooke]

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2006 at 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalou
In his book "Mexico's Magis Square" Earl Stanley Gardner talks of exploring this area. Interesting reading about the area you are talking about.

:biggrin:

I just ordered my copy today. I'm looking forward to the read!

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2006 at 09:12 AM

When I was in San Diego getting ready to head down for New Years I saw this Jeep in the Home Depot lot and thought it might be one of Ken's Jeep people trying to catch up with him.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2006 at 09:13 AM

Another view of Ken's straggler.
Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 1-12-2006 at 11:05 AM

So that's what they mean when they say: "Rubicon's are fully equipped!" :lol::lol::lol:

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.