BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: A question for those of you living in southern Baja...
CurlyGirl

puzzled.gif posted on 1-5-2006 at 03:46 PM
A question for those of you living in southern Baja...

OK, so we're currently in the "negotiation" process on some property and I'm already exhausted by it!

I find that on any given day, I run through the whole range of emotions about it--fluctuating between "if this works out, it will be the best thing we've ever done" to "holy hell, what are we thinking?" I've been writing my doubts off as just understandable nervousness--mulling--about an investment of this magnitude (we're not wealthy). But just now I heard Oprah say, "Doubt means no." And well, if Oprah said it...

So, my question for those of you who have jumped in to Baja ownership. Did you have serious doubts or did you *know* that it was the right thing to do?
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 1-5-2006 at 04:00 PM

...you never gamble you NEVER win!!!...:lol:

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2006 at 04:01 PM

I knew.
AND I have never regretted any part of my decision.
A major purchase is always riddled with doubt.
Plus, I have a hard time imagining Oprah in Baja.:?:

bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2006 at 04:30 PM

I'm not in Sur, but I never had any doubts - of course this was 12 years ago with those prices.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
Bajajorge
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2006 at 04:43 PM

Like Bajalou I stay in northern Baja. Can't give an opinion on the south, but I bought my property and haven't looked back. Love every minute that I'm there.:tumble:

Rule Number One when buying Mexican property:
Don't buy anything you can't afford to walk away from.

Things are pretty stable now, but who knows what after the next election.:?:
Acuity
Nomad

Mood: Craving sleep!

[*] posted on 1-5-2006 at 04:53 PM

Living here is very different from living up north. There are times when we wonder what we did, but then there are also many days when you see the light coming hnrough the palms, hear the birds singing and realize that you are very lucky to be here.
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2006 at 05:53 PM

"Nothing Ventured , Nothing Gained'

After All, it is only Money, which is something Oprah does not,have to be concerned about!!!
losfrailes
Senior Nomad

Mood: Good!

[*] posted on 1-5-2006 at 07:58 PM

In total agreement with Bob and Susan, Skeet.

Baja is a wonderful place to be, property is still reasonable, the people are wonderful, climate, on, and on, and on.

Find a good Abogado (someone will recommend one in the area you are interested in) and follow their advice on purchase of property.
jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2006 at 08:03 PM

do you allway worry?? what has the past tought you about worring?? i find that most worry is caused by the unknown and the bestway to comfort your self is education then make up your mind and never look back life has no garentees and each and ever decision changes it there is no right no wrong just perseption baja has been a very good for me
would some place be better perhaps but if i spend all my time debating i will miss life besides the little things are just that little things they give meaning to everyday
noone can answer your question but you
the more opioions the more confusing it gets if it feels good do it if it works out great if not its not the end of the world the experence will make you a better person have a good one jerry

jerry and judi
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2006 at 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jerry
if it feels good do it
have a good one jerry

enough said

rpleger
Super Nomad

Mood: Was good.

[*] posted on 1-5-2006 at 09:30 PM

When in doubt, rent for a year and see how it feels.

Richard on the Hill

*ABROAD*, adj. At war with savages and idiots. To be a Frenchman abroad is to
be miserable; to be an American abroad is to make others miserable.
-- Ambrose Bierce, _The Enlarged Devil\'s Dictionary_
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 1-5-2006 at 09:57 PM
We didn't buy. We sort of rent. We're sort of borrowing a chunk of wonder from the universe.

Ditto on the comment that you need to be able to afford to walk away from it. In the next ten years the same might be said for California Alta.

I drove into the village and met the landowner who showed me what he had to rent. I walked around it for an hour and finally built rock piles about 45 meters apart on the corners. We shook hands and I gave him $200.00. Later I flew back and gave him another $800. to complete a years rent, and we signed an agreement that still makes me laugh.

With the eleven years rent, and everything I've put into making a casita out of old recycled GAP store barricades, I MIGHT have 20k in the whole thing.

I have a WHOLE LOT more heart invested. If I had to walk away from it, I would be heartbroken, but it wouldn't have anything to do with the money. I love the place, and the people, and that whole indefinable gut thing that Baja does to you. I don't have much money, but I have even less time.

Who was it that said: "If you aren't living on the edge, you're taking up too damned much space."?

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
CurlyGirl

[*] posted on 1-6-2006 at 07:33 AM
Thank you!

You all are great...thank you so much for taking my "talking outloud" and giving me your heartfelt thoughts. (And Jerry, you nailed it on the head, I am certainly a worrier!) We have done the research but at some point you have to just take a leap of faith and trust strangers to handle your money, and that's scary.

We LOVE Baja...each visit makes the place even more special to us. We try to play out worst case scenario and each time the worst case isn't nearly as bad as the best case is good. (Quite frankly, I don't know why I'm trying to talk myself out of it ;-)

I guess I just wanted some validation for moving forward with this whole crazy thing. Thanks to all for your perspective and words of wisdom--I'll let you know how this thing unfolds!
Dianamo
Nomad

Mood: ...still in Baja

[*] posted on 1-6-2006 at 10:19 AM

Congratulations CurlyGirl !

We are trying to find our 'place' on the East Cape, (Los Barriles area and North) but the process is difficult.:?:

I would appreciate any leads on a place that is close enough to walk to the beach, to hear the waves, and get the breeze, oh, and a peak of the sea would be great! In our price range, the real estate agents are not jumping up and down to work with us, they are very slow to respond.

We will consider a rental while were looking, and the real estate agents don't tell you about those!

Thanks all you Baja Lovers! I can't wait to join you!:bounce:
DianaMo;)
akbear
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2006 at 01:22 PM

Dianamo, Rentals are the way to find out in what area you want to buy & live. Go down in different times of the year too.

Do a search for East Cape Rentals or try: http://www.abajavacation.com

akbear

[Edited on 1-6-2006 by akbear]
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 1-6-2006 at 02:26 PM

Do consider the steep incline in lot prices all over Southern Baja. They have more then tripled in the last few years. So, if you decide to rent for a couple of years, your lot price will more the likely double. Something to think about.:wow::wow::wow:
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2006 at 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by vandenberg
Do consider the steep incline in lot prices all over Southern Baja. They have more then tripled in the last few years. So, if you decide to rent for a couple of years, your lot price will more the likely double. Something to think about.:wow::wow::wow:

Folks advised us to rent for a year before buying. Almost did...but ended up buying. So we bought, and then watched real estate offices and "for sale" signs pop up all over, and prices rose to far above what I orignally could have spent.

But I suppose the good news is, that if you decide later that living in Baja is not for you, you may be able to get your money back out of your place, maybe even a profit.

And....you can get a Mexican satellite TV receiver (Sky) that has...OPRAH!!! :lol:
mulege marv
Senior Nomad

Mood: relaxed

[*] posted on 1-7-2006 at 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by CurlyGirl
But just now I heard Oprah say, "Doubt means no." And well, if Oprah said it...

OPRAH ? you gotta be kidding :lol::lol::lol:
i would wait and see what jerry springer has to say :lol::lol:

Want what you have
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2006 at 12:27 PM

Curly Girl
Many years ago I too "Worried", it nearly took my Life.

A Person taught me the following"If you are worried about something, change it, do something about the Worry" You will be surpised how the worry goes away!!!

If I were to to back to Baja I woud try La Ventana, La Puresimo, San Nicholas, Tambebechie,Good Luck

Skeet/Loreto
vjfamily
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2006 at 01:23 PM

Curly Girl
We brought our Casa near Los Barriles last winter. Yes, there were moments of doubt but we are very glad we were patient. Title search is key to long term peace of mind. We love our new home and look forward to doing projects and becoming part of the community.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.