[*] posted on 1-7-2006 at 02:18 AM
The failure of Escalera Nautica

I have looked at the project from a couple different standpoints;
1) Logistics
2) construction
3) funding
4) active use
5) maintenance

On every account it is doomed by my book. Why in the world do they think this prototype industry will be feasible let alone profitable.
The amount of equipment, supplies and capable workers would be not within Fonaturs ability to make it a real enterprise.
From gasoline to deisel to haul outs to repair parts. It is a logistics nightmare for anyone in Baja, but Fonatur?:lol:

Unless the Canadians are in on it....good luck. Fonaturs money will be tied up in Baja Sur. How many investors will trust Fonatur with this scheme?

I can imagine all these boats lined up to cross the penninsula especially when the road will compete with regular traffic. This will be scary if the trucks are like the typical vehicle in Baja. Maybe they could have some German company build some custom boat-haulers. Naw, Mexico will fashion them. GULP!

I can envision a bogged down, broken down system with no backup. Stuck boats and angry people. Wait till a chubasco comes thru at the wrong time or just sit and wait for that barrel of gas. Fuel stations?:lol::lol: They might get them but they most likely will stay empty. OR... they might have plenty but no boaters!

The concept is intriguing. It should be left that way.

[Edited on 1-9-2006 by Sharksbaja]
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2006 at 07:58 AM

Sharks, For a trip now from San Diego south, the first leg is about 450 miles to Turtle Bay (the first and only fuel stop). That stops all the small boats now -- I see monumental problems building land based or floating fuel docks at Colonet and Punta Canoa to entice more sportfishing kinds of boats. Fonatur has spent zip on the first two and most important rungs of the ladder while wasting funds on studies in all the wrong spots south of there and in the SOC.
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2006 at 08:49 AM

I wish they took all the road equipment that I saw working around X-mas building the crossover road and put it on the main highway to make it safer...
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 1-7-2006 at 11:41 AM

The "land bridge" is (was?) only part of the Escalera Nautica plan. They envision building a set of "nautical steps" (ladder) around the coast of Baja California to entice more boating. So, more marinas/fueling points, with accompanying hotels, resorts, etc. 2006 is an election year in Mexico, and the last year for Fox. We shall see what happens, but trying to examine the project from a logical business standpoint may not yield the correct answer.
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2006 at 12:11 PM

Look at what has happened to the Beautiful Escondido Bay south of Loreto. Here is a Bay that if developed properly would produce Profit.
Sucess is not in the ofing!

Why should something so much larger happen, if something much smaller cannot ??

Alittle bit here, a little bit there.

Skeet/Loreto
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2006 at 03:58 PM

Exactly Osprey. It is almost funny that this project hasn't seen more attention where it makes the most sense.
I would think if there were an audience of confident investors that the various planned marinas would be springing up.:lol:
Same problem the Spanish had when they invaded: where s' the beef? Er I mean wheres the water.. er.. I mean wheres' the people:lol: Some of those ports o call are so far from real town with real services.

Will the road to Bola get pavement all the way? Are they still working hard on the future marina there?
Worldtraveller
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2006 at 05:44 PM

Would this project work if done by a good private firm or several firms? Or is it simply not a profitable idea?
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2006 at 06:35 PM

The premise is flawed. 110 footers can go where they want, use only the biggest marinas, could care less about these kinds of changes. Small boats have to fight their way down and face the rigors of the a very dangerous uphill run to get back to the Calfornia coast. The landbridge solves very little of the problems for smallcraft owners and is not a viable "step to taking the boats to Cabo or Matzatlan through the SOC". 50 foot owners would look at price versus quality when deciding to leave the comfort of U.S. marinas -- the plan started with the premise that they could lure 50,000 boats down here. Won't happen!
bajaandy
Senior Nomad

Mood: Adventurous

[*] posted on 1-8-2006 at 08:29 AM

surfer jim,

I didn't know that they were again (still?) working on the crossover road. What progress has been made? Are they working towards the Pacific or now heading across the desert to the SOC?

subvert the dominant paradigm

"If you travel with a man, you must either fall out with him or make him your good friend."
JBL Noel
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2006 at 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Worldtraveller
Would this project work if done by a good private firm or several firms? Or is it simply not a profitable idea?

The project as originally presented by the Mexican government called for a HUGE (billions) investment, seed money (millions) provided by the government the rest by private investment. The mere fact that there has been no rush by private enterprise to pump the money into the project leads one to assume that those with the money know better then those who came up with the scheme(scam?). Still the Mexican government has decide to press on with a scaled down version as this project was something Fox backed. It will be interesting to see what transpires after this administration moves on.

Lots of stuff to read about the project.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=escalera+nautica&am...

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2006 at 06:28 PM
National Geographic

Did a short overview of the project years back.
Escalera Nautica

[Edited on 1-9-2006 by Sharksbaja]
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2006 at 11:40 AM

"Will the road to Bola get pavement all the way?"

Yes - it's smooth as a baby's butt all the way into town and through town. Three kms are being paved to La Gringa this year. There goes the neighborhood.
Marinero
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2006 at 02:17 PM

It was and still is an interesting, if not scary concept. As was said, large boats have no problem now and trailer boats were the pioneers of Baja exploration. While I'm sure the government does not care so much, I for one would not want to see 50,000 or any other number of unseaworthy boats operated by unqualified skippers plying the shores of Baja and the Sea of Cortez.:no:

Si estás buscando la person que cambiará su vida, échale una mirada en el espejo.

Fish logo from www.usafishing.com, used w/permission.

But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have.....
pappy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2006 at 07:53 PM

i can't recall the exact numbers but something like 80% or more of boat owners venture less than something like 20 miles from their home marina.this has been brought to the attention of those in charge but they apparently aren't listening......
4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2006 at 07:29 AM

the trucks hauling these boats along between the junctions will create huge traffic problems. wont work.
4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2006 at 07:30 AM

marina
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2006 at 06:15 PM

Over X-mas they where doing major work on the Pacific side ...looks like finishing the road that was only partially done years ago...large road working machinery with a bypass road well established to go around the construction....

I did my share to help the road work...on the way down I had to stop to wait for road to clear and the workers asked if I had any sodas...."no , but got some CERVEZA"....so I gave the three guys a CORONA each ....

on the way out I had some extra beer so I stopped and gave out 4 more....just in time for their lunch.....;)
pappy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2006 at 09:55 PM

hopefully they will remember your kind deeds and won't charge you a toll on the way in and out!:spingrin:
gonetobaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2006 at 10:28 AM

I have local info on the whole deal......

Everything in question including the Escalera Nautica, the pavement to Gonzaga, the Widening of the road to San Felipe, the fixing of the main Hiway etc, will all be finished.....

Manana:lol::lol::lol:

Poco a poco
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-14-2006 at 10:53 AM

Ma?ana doesn't mean 'tomorrow'... just 'NOT TODAY'!:yes::lol:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.