Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Trailer Axle Flip ?
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2006 at 07:32 PM
Trailer Axle Flip ?

I'm having an axle flip done on our 22' camp trailer to gain about 4-5 inches of clearance. I'm afraid I'll lose the poop chute pulling into El Requeson the way it is. Anyone have any experience doing this or with factory raised camp trailer ? Will it tow, etc. the same ? Any other suggestions ?
mexibob
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2006 at 07:44 PM

Several years ago I pulled a 27 footer down to Sonora. I flipped both axles over for the same reason. I had some real nasty road to navigate and was afraid I would leave the entire septic system somewhere.

Anyway, I flipped and pulled, at 55mph, without any problems. The camper lasted until last year's hurricane season when it took a tidal surge broadside. The water blew out the inner fender liner, the kitchen cabinets and filled the place full of sand, sea weed and water.

I gave it away for I no longer had much use for it.
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2006 at 08:51 PM

55mph ??

Not if I can help it !!
Hopefully the rig will still tow well at 75 as usual.
bajaandy
Senior Nomad

Mood: Adventurous

[*] posted on 1-8-2006 at 08:23 AM

Diver,

Had my 32 foot Weekend Warrior axels flipped right after I purchased it. Only towed it in the non-flipped state far enough to get it to the company that did it for me, so I never really got a chance to see if there was any difference in the way it tows now to the way it did before. But I can say that it tows very well with the axle flip. Never have had any problems as far as sway or fishtale or anything like that. I'd say go for it and enjoy the extra ground clearance you'll get. Oh yeah, don't forget to get an extra step for the steps into the trailer. I made a simple box and covered it with indoor/outdoor. Doubles as a door matt and a step at the same time.

subvert the dominant paradigm

"If you travel with a man, you must either fall out with him or make him your good friend."
JBL Noel
oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2006 at 10:32 AM

We flipped the axle on a 19' trailer (when it was about 25 years old) that would nearly bottom out when driven on surface streets. It towed fine after flipping and made it down to San Juanico which required 30 miles of bad washboard. We were also able to pull it up over the hill to get to Playa Escondida in Concepci?n along the way, although there was evidence of abrasions on the "chute" after that steep one.

I can't report on any long-term effects of flipping the axle though, because we were just trying to squeeze one more trip out of this great old tralier when we bought it and it's been encased within a palapa ever since.
mexibob
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2006 at 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Diver
55mph ??

Not if I can help it !!
Hopefully the rig will still tow well at 75 as usual.

I failed to mention that my run down here was 14 years ago when the International highway was two lanes, not divided four lanes like it is now.

That and I was pulling it with a short bed 1/2 ton pickup.

These days 75 is a tad slow for me when coming back from the states. I get as far away as quickly as I can.

However, at 75 you might get some 'lift' on your trailer. There's more distance between the road and the bottom to catch more air, so that 75 might not work so well.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 1-8-2006 at 08:50 PM

be sure to raise the hitch 5 inches also it will be very dangerous.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.