Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Prices of used kayaks
Phil S
Super Nomad

Mood: After 34 years. Still in love w/ my wife

[*] posted on 1-9-2006 at 11:39 PM
Prices of used kayaks

I hope to get a lot of experienced replies on this question. For several years have been considering buying a two place kayak. I see they are in various designs. I'm interested in the ones that the charter companies use. Can I get an idea of what the single sells for down here, and what the double sells for. Thanks to those who respond.

[Edited on 1-10-2006 by Phil S]
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 1-10-2006 at 06:48 AM

I might buy some of these "training wheels" for my kayak...

as I get older and weaker its harder to get back on when I dismount (fall in:lol::lol:)
http://www.keywestpaddlesports.com/steady%20sport.htm

[Edited on 1-10-2006 by Bob and Susan]

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
gringorio
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2006 at 06:58 AM

I take it when you say ?sells for down here? that you mean in Baja?

If you search around on Craig?s List or EBay, you might be lucky to find a used double sea kayak for $1000. to $2000. in the States depending on its condition and the material its made of, especially if you are talking about the kind of double a charter company would use. Generally those are pretty decent quality, if a bit used. I suppose a double sea kayak would be hard to find in Baja given the demand, but I?m not sure how much one would cost down there. Most recreational doubles are fairly beamy and thus very stable under most paddling conditions. Also, make sure you get one with a rudder.

Happy paddling!

gringorio

Quote:
Originally posted by Phil S
I hope to get a lot of experienced replies on this question. For several years have been considering buying a two place kayak. I see they are in various designs. I'm interested in the ones that the charter companies use. Can I get an idea of what the single sells for down here, and what the double sells for. Thanks to those who respond.

[Edited on 1-10-2006 by Phil S]

MICK
Nomad

Mood: livin the good life on the river

[*] posted on 1-10-2006 at 07:20 AM

Allens Kayaks in san diego has a double called the Malibu lx that is 14 ft made of hard plactic. with the stock seats you can get it for around 1000.00 by the time you get done doing hatches and good seats your looking at 1300-1500. They are ocean kayaks (the name brand) we looked at them and they seem strong. And outfitter in san diego uses them to take people out in La Jolla and he likes them. Hope this helps.
Mick

Getting there is ALL the fun!
Ok being here is fun to
Phil S
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2006 at 10:21 AM

Thanks guys. (incl. Bob & Susan's pic) Training wheels is a great idea.
My wife likes to lead when we dance. So we don't! The Ocean brand is the one I think I've been admiring down here (in Loreto area) I guess I could buy one in Cal or Oregon as I have a "rack" on my pickup that is 8' in length. Anyone have one they don't use anymore and would consider selling? That is close to the I-5 corridor??? I would probably have to make some kind of cradle to seat it? Still hoping some of the Nomads that have bought or sold recently can give me price range. How about it Bob & Susan? Your close to me. Know anyone in Mulege that would consider selling theirs?
bajarich
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2006 at 10:26 AM

Are you looking for a serious touring kayak(carrying gear over longer distances), or just something to paddle around in for short day trips?
Here are some of the things I have learned about kayaks:
Fiberglass boats are preferred for serious tripping, and are usually quite long. The longer a boat is for its width, the better it slip through the water and the less tired you will be when you get where you are going. Most tandems are quite stable. I have seen a lot of Seda Tangos belonging to commercial trips in Baja. They are a cheaper fiberglass boat and don't have very fancy seats or outfitting.
My preference for a tandem would be a Northwest Kayaks Seascape 2. I rented one one time in the San Juan Islands. They are 21 feet long, carry lots of gear and the c-ckpits are far enough apart that you don't have to syncronize paddles. It was a joy to paddle but I don't know if anyone in Baja has them. I have also paddled a Necky Tofino which is also a well made boat. It is short (15') but very seaworthy. I have seen some of these with commercial trips in Baja. I have also rented an Eddyline San Juan which is another big boat. It was good to paddle.
If you just want someting to mess around in for short paddles, the polyethylene boats will probably do, although they have a tendency to deform after time in the hot sun. They don't make them much over 17 feet because the material isn't very stiff.
If you are doing long trips, comfort is a big deal.
As far as paddling is concerned, I worked in a shop that sold polyethylene kayaks and, after paddling them I found most of them to be real dogs compared to my nice glass boat. They are supposedly tougher for banging rocks, but slice up on sharp barnacles and eventually abraid (they are so heavy that people just drag them rather than lifiting them). I found their seats generally uncomfortable. The real key words for polythylene boat in my mind are "cheap" and "heavy".
A concern on any used kayak in Baja would be how much it has been sitting in the Sun. UV is not a friend of any boat. A Glass boat with gelcoat would be better than one without it. The gelcoat also protects the glass from abraision, and is relativlely easy to repair. I just redid the wear spots in my gelcoat on my 13 year old glass boat and it is almost like new again. When I am camped on the beach, I always keep a tarp over my boats.
Something else to consider. I found that most people spend all of their money on a boat and then buy a cheap paddle. A nice light paddle makes all the difference in the world, especially over any distance. I use a "Wind Swift" paddle, but a "Werner Camano" is also nice. They are both lighwieght with smaller blades, but are much easier on the arms. Remember, you are holding that weight up at you chest level all day, and your arms are doing all of the work.
Hope you find a good boat!
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 1-10-2006 at 11:34 AM
For those of Us who are Old and Infirm

Back in 2004, I tried out a neighbor's Inflatable Kayak-style Sea Eagle Paddleski. Due to a deteriorating Back condition, I have a difficult time getting out of a Kayak where you sit down inside. On the Paddleski, you sit on top. After trying it out, I immediately ordered one from Seaeagle.com. Total price (inc optional seats and paddles) about $1100 bucks. We love it.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2006 at 11:42 AM

We tried a two place but the extra weight made the thing sit too low and

also...Susan wouldn't paddle if I was in the boat:P

We bought sit-on-tops also
Ocean Kayaks
Small 1 seaters

They are plastic and easy to care for.
$450 each new....

then $40 for each seat
and $30 for the paddle
and then susan needed cushions

We even took them down the Kern River Rapids...never do THAT again!!!

our website is:
eetdrt88
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2006 at 11:44 AM
if youre lookin for a sit on top version...

like the Cobra you can get those used in Oarnge County and LA for as cheap 400-500$....your best bet if youre online is to check out craigslist and Recycler.com...if youre willing to travel a little ways some of the deals you can get are pretty outstanding

Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2006 at 11:57 AM
Pure fun!

These ain't used but:

http://www.hydrovisions.com/

Made in Ensenada.

Phil S
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2006 at 12:31 PM

Rich. Thanks for the detailed info. I will definetly keep all that in mind. We will rent several at different times in Loreto this winter to see what suits us. Looks like fun. When we camped on rattlesnake beach, many kayak charter companys launched right in front of us. Interesting watching the "make up" of the "guests" Mostly women.
We don't intend using for long trips. Mostly short jaunts. We have a boat launch at Nopolo (Loreto Bay someday will be the new name) and it is only couple blocks from our house. I do have lower back problems so that info was interesting. Maybe since Wendy "likes to steer/lead" singles might be the best way to go. As Vandenberg suggested, we could go to the Inn at Loreto Bay (the old Camino Real Resort) and rent to try them out. Anyway. You've given me more direction in my current persuit of "another toy"' Thanks to this 'great' group of folks who love Baja as I do.
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2006 at 05:54 PM

My wife and I use separate sit-on-tops, mine's a Cobra Fish 'n Dive, wide, slow, heavy (60lbs+-), very stable, and rigged for fishing. My wife's is a 12' Wilderness Tarpon 120. A bit slimmer and faster, still very stable. She also has an 8ft sit-on-top. We cruise at about 3 mph.

These are not as good as sit inside kayaks for long distance cruising.

However, with the sit inside yaks, you have to know the "eskimo roll." Those are less stable and require more skill. I know of dealer/renters in California who will rent sit-on-tops to anyone, but require credentials of some sort before renting sit inside kayaks.

Sit on tops similar to ours are available on the beach at the El Camino/Inn at LB, or at least they were, and that's the first place we kayaked here a few years ago. Las Parras Tours in town also has some of these plastic sit-on-top yaks.

The advice about a paddle is good- a pricey light paddle is well worth it.

Also, get beach wheels, and you can launch almost anywhere.

But you'll probably have to go to San Diego to get the wheels and paddle, if not the kayak.
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2006 at 06:02 PM

A couple more comments. Your intended use would be key to your decision. If you never intend to overnight in one, and do a little distance and/or multi-day trips, say, less than 10-15 miles/da., but rather, just paddle across a bay or up and down the coast for fun, then you can definitely get away with a polyplastic boat. They're a little slower, but they're stable and take a lot of abuse. You can buy a 2-wheel cart which straps onto the back to haul it to the beach and back. And ditto on the lightweight paddle, and make sure it's the proper length for you and the boat. Definitely do not get a sit-on-top. And something to consider, if a tandem capsizes, you're both in the water; if there are two of you in two boats, more capability for rescue. Also, once you get your boat(s), you need to practice rescue techniques.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2006 at 06:30 PM

...if your not a limber young man don't think it's easy to get out from a sit-in kayak WHEN it rolls over.....

When you fall off your sit-on-top there are no worries about getting to the surface for air.

...also who knows whats lurking inside thoes dark holes where your feet go:lol:

our website is:
bajarich
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2006 at 09:43 AM

I wanted a tandem originally, but we ended up with two solos because I do a lot more paddling than my wife and I couldn't afford a tandem and a solo since we were buying high end boats. The only problem is that you can only go at the speed of the weakest paddler. I have had to tow her in situations where there was a strong headwind. I also worry about her when we get in any rough water. I am a strong whitewater paddler, she is not. Luckly, in 13 years, she has never tipped over, but that is because we usually only paddle in good conditions. It is also a testament to how stable her boat is and the sense of balance she has gained while canoeing with me on rivers. She knows that you lean into a wave rather that away from it.

I would never say that you don't need to learn to roll a kayak, but there are a lot of paddlers out there who don't know how to roll. They just buy more stable boats and only paddle in good conditions and learn how to get back in their boats if they are in the water. It's a cinch that most of those tourists renting kayak trips do not know how to roll, but the boats are stable enough that they don't have to. Kayaks have a very low center of gravity and are much more stable than one might think. The sit on top boats have a higher center of gravity. The wider a boat is the more stable also, but it also needs to be longer or you reduce the speed ie. ease of paddling.

If you get an enclosed kayak, practice getting out of it in shallow water first. It is just a matter of keeping your cool and pulling yourself out, hips before knees and feet. Getting back in it also requires practice and a paddle float. I bought a pair of Voyager SeaWings that are inflatable sponsons that can be attached with fastex clips when in the water and easily inflated.

With sit on top kayaks, your legs are always baking in the sun. It's nice to have some protection from the hot Baja sun. I usually do not use my sprayskirt when in Baja because it can become warm inside. I only use it if I'm going in big waves.

Have you ever thought about renting one of the Kayak trips? Do so. It will give you a feel for the boats and you will probably learn a lot more than just reading the internet. You might also make the connection to buy one of their boats. We did a trip on Cape Cod years back, and the boat my wife used is the same model I bought her because she liked it so much. By the way, it's an Eddyline Raven, 17' long and 23 inches wide. She liked it because it has a lower deck and she didn't feel like she was sitting in a bathtub. I also bought an Eddyline, mine is a Sea Star, 18" and 22 inches wide. Both are joys to paddle. They are some of the nicest finished boats out there.

Again, Good Luck!!
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2006 at 10:15 AM

When I mentioned rescue techniques, I was not referring to rolls. It would likely be impossible to roll a loaded tandem (assuming both of you are still in it, which is also unlikely). In every single case I've personally experienced and observed, you do not stay inside a sea kayak when it capsizes, but rather, you're dumped out of it. So the rescue techniques - there are three basic ones -- need to be learned from this standpoint. You MUST have a paddle float, a life jacket and a water pump as basic equipment with you. There are "T" formation, assisted and non-assisted techniques. You need to learn these things, along with other things about current, wind, proper stroke, hazards (hypothermia, carpel tunnel), etc.
Phil S
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2006 at 12:11 PM

All great information. Thanks for the input. Not sure that I would be interested in a "tour" overnighter. Still just want to poop around in one. Think I'll stop in San Diego & check out your referenced Kayak shop & get an idea what the options are & especially to see what the paddle variations are. I would have never thought about that one aspect. Thanks again for the input.
Marinero
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2006 at 12:30 PM

I had a tandem Malibu Ocean Kayak for years. I used it on a lake in Central California. When not in use, it was stored upside down on a ramp, but in full sun. Last summer, it fell apart from the effects of UV exposure. I should have known better and kept it covered, but did not. Baja sun is no hotter than Stockton sun, but the UV is sure more intense is Baja.

:cool:Bill

Si estás buscando la person que cambiará su vida, échale una mirada en el espejo.

Fish logo from www.usafishing.com, used w/permission.

But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have.....
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2006 at 09:44 AM

You'll find that the sit-on-tops are less expensive and you say you just want to poop around in it. It is tempting to save some money, but you will get hooked on kayaking and want to go further and see different things and think about overnighting, etc. So don't waste your money on a sit-on-top -- get a REAL kayak, which will cover all the options. When you're in San Diego, go to a couple of the places which let you paddle around the bay for free to test the boats. This way you can see what fits you, how they feel, etc. There are about 3 shops where you can do this. Also, if you're around on a Wednesday night, one of the shops (Aqua Adventures) had a night paddle for $10 from Shelter Island. A real good way to test a boat.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 1-12-2006 at 09:57 AM
Kayaks Available all over (exept Baja ?)

If you're thinking of buying "used" in the U.S., your choices should be greater than you've got time for. I see the plastic Kayaks EVERYWHERE. In fact, my neighbors in Yucca Valley have two they've been trying to peddle for over a year now without success. They tried to sell them to me when I bought the Sea Eagle Inflatable. It's a buyers market if you put in some time looking.

As far as all this EXPERT advice regarding preferred styles and features, It's all MEANINGLESS. The fact that there is such a variety merely indicates that EVERYBODY is different

The mention of a "Night" Paddle in San Diego Bay in January sent shivers through me. I think you'd probably have to be already pretty dedicated to think that would be a good idea. I kept a sailboat in San Diego Bay for over Five years and spent many Winter Days and Nights on the Bay. That water is COLD.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.