Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Christmas Ensenada y Bahia
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2006 at 04:16 PM
Christmas Ensenada y Bahia

We left Morro Bay on the 22nd around 4pm, stopped by Wild Bill and Elena's to pick up goodies to take south. We were sorry that they weren't going to be joining us again this year...

Pulled into Campo La Jolla around 2am. The next day was dedicated to finding a Christmas tree. We remembered seeing tree lots in Maneadero at Thanksgiving time, but the only trees we found in town were placed behind a banner that read "Especial". They were especially dead. On into Ensenada we went and found a beauty in the same lot we shopped at last year. We celebrated our tree find with a late lunch at El Recreo. We also found out that we arrived a day too late to help Sr. Pabloff deliver Christmas boxes to the needy this year.

Cody and her friend Lynette who lives there in camp were very busy baking cookings all day in preparation for Santa's visit.

Santa came and left us great gifts as well as a new camera. We have moved up into the digital age. We visited with friends in town, did some repairs around the casa, had a Goose for Christmas dinner. All was good.

Our plan was to head down to Bahia a couple of days after Christmas. Our neighbors Jeff and Jamee left a day ahead of us.

We dropped off the goodies with Oscar and Matilda at Rancho Santa Ines. We met Ralph and Pat who live there. What great people! We found out from Ralph that WB and LN would be soon behind us. We also learned that our neighbors Jeff and Jamee had spent the night there and were ahead of us, on their way to our place in Bahia.

Upon pulling into town we had office hours in Bahia with Herman and Pablo, then on to set up camp. We went into town for dinner at Costa del Sol where Bedman and Emma joined us and treated us to a great evening. Cody had her first virgin margarita complements of Steve!

Our first day there we took a trip out to see Pancho at Playa Rafael. The road was in great shape. We had a Tri-tip and some Christmas cookies for him as well as photos of Charlie our Bulldog that he had asked for. We tried our luck fishing off the shore. We weren't too lucky. Pancho threw his line in as well and shared our luck. No Lenguado that day.

We ran into town and into our friend Homey on our way there. He was with the Quad Squad looking over 4Baja?s flat tire. (Sorry we didn't get to visit with him more. We also missed Desert Bull, but did hear the roar of his truck up and down the road.) More office hours with Herman and Pablo, hello to Brian Benson! We then found our amigos Bill and Elena, Ralph and Pat, Michael and Amy at China?s. What a great surprise! We met them all back on the beach at our place after a quick trip to Martha's for supplies.

A great road trip was taken to places north of Bahia. We had seven vehicles total that crossed Laguna Agua Amarga and went first to Bahia Guadalupe and then on to Punta Candelero.

The following days were filled with good friends and adventure, cold refreshments, campfires, more road trips, great dinners, stories and drinking, office hours in town, finding more friends on the road to our place that would eventually join our group.
Too much fun.

New Years Eve day was spent at the trailers. The bar was opened in the morning with Bloody Marys. Hector and Sunshine got a new look with the supervision of Bill and Ralph. Bill had a good idea to move them higher up the cactus. We are going to take his advice as Hector's hat was missing the next day. This would be the third Santa hat that Hector has donated to a worthy cause.

Bill fed us all well with the best smoked turkey I've ever tasted. It was a complete dinner, stuffing, salad, you name it. We were very spoiled by this man.

Everyone headed into town for the dance. We had a great time. The pi?ata for the kids went off quickly around 8:30. Herman was there sporting his bow tie and flashing USA cap. No Tux this year. He and I danced quite a few times until he got mad at me for accepting a dance with Pepe. This makes the third year in a row that he?s left the dance early, it?s become our New Years tradition I guess. Pepe was feeling no pain, passed out a few times and had some problems with his teeth....that?s another story. Fancy glasses were fashioned out of TKT cans for champagne for the midnight toast. Mike and Mary Ann came to the dance with reports of a fun celebration had out at Camp Gecko. I had all intentions of visiting their house, but never made it. I was not a good neighbor, but will make up for it next time.

The rest of the evening is kind of a blur, but Dern, our friend Matt and I were the last of our group to leave Casa Diaz around 1:30 am. Mateo was trying his best to dance with the prettiest girl, but her dad wouldn't allow it in the end. We closed the night around the campfire.

I think Bill's head springing out the top of his trailer sporting a helmet and a loud "Yeeeee Haawwww" was the first thing I remember about January 1, 2006. Someone else that I won't name (ok, it was Dern) didn't come out of his trailer till after 4 pm. On a side note, watch out for those ?New Mex? margies in a can, they?ll kick your butt. Goodbyes were said at various times during that day. Bill and I went into town hunting a fish for Oscar and Matilda. You'd think that in a fishing village you'd be able to find ONE fish to buy....What's up with that? Bedman suggested the crew at Camp Gecko might be able to come to the rescue. Thanks again to Stevo and gang, as it made Oscar and Matilda very happy.

We left Bahia on the 2nd after a quick stop in at Herman?s and a quick hello-good bye to Sergio at his Pemex. We took the back road into Patchen's cabin then on to Oscar and Matilda's. We followed Ralph out to his place so we'll know how to find it next time

We got the tour, what a lucky couple they are. Ralph gifted Cody with her very own falling star, a meteorite the size of a potato to take back to her class for show and tell. She held on to that heavy black rock the rest of the way to Ensenada.

We stopped at El Paraiso in San Quintin. for a quick lunch and were home in Ensenada by 5pm. We had the next day to be "home", then back to Morro Bay. Crossing on a Wed. was great as it only took us 10 minutes to get through.

It was a quick two week trip. Too fast for us. We had many photos on the trip, but we only found out recently that our camera ate some of them. We'll get the digital system worked out one of these days.

Happy New Year!

Paulina<*)))><

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-11-2006 at 07:21 PM

WONDERFUL, WONDERFUL, WONDERFUL!!!

Thanks Paulina!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.