Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: El Palomar canyon
BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2006 at 12:30 AM
El Palomar canyon

Hi Nomads, just got my cp fix from a terrible crash. Just in time to let you guys know about my trip Originally to Guadalupe-C but end up esxploring el Palomar canyon. Whe cross the border in tecate friday, the 6 about 9:30. stop to get somethig to eat end up eating hamburgers in tecate what a irony hamburgers in mexico o well, got to the laguna exit about 10:20 am road is in pretty go shape, got to the canyon around 10:40 am due to the peolple in my caravan did'nt fell good doing 80 ml/hr on the Salada so we had to slow down.stay in Arturos El Sol camp. perfect weather 76* degress., next day got ready and took off to explore el palomar canyon 30 miles down the road. road condition is ok up to the 24 mile marker then in whinds to the west to the top of the canyon thats when you start crossing sand washes this is the entrance to el palomar canyon ( 31 56' 39" N 115 40' 89" W ) this is where the bad road starts. this canyon is just 4 miles up the stream going throught a palm fill oasis at the end is a bathing pool just like the ones in GC this is the end of the road ( 31 56' 25" N 115 45' 06" ). Altitud 1725 FT The next day when to see the other camps on the east side of the stream, across from Arturo walking around the camps I meet the original owner of GC Don Jose Loya espinoza ( according to them they are related to the espinozas of el Rosario.) He told me that the owner of Arturos side was Jose Loya Murillo wich die in 1987, but the all the canyon belongs to him, he sold the other side to Jose Loya Murillo Arturos Dad. Afther all, it was a nice trip putting a side that whe run out of paper plates and had to recycle old ones. another great trip to GC like always whe enjoy being there. looking foward to go back soon...

BAJA IS WHAT YOU WANTED TO BE, FUN,DANGEROUS,INCREDIBLE, REMOTE, EXOTIC..JUST GO AND HAVE FUN.....
jide
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2006 at 12:41 AM

Thanks for the report... any pics?

BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2006 at 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jide
I still can figure out Jide I will e-mail the pictures to David K to see If he can post them for me.

BAJA IS WHAT YOU WANTED TO BE, FUN,DANGEROUS,INCREDIBLE, REMOTE, EXOTIC..JUST GO AND HAVE FUN.....
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2006 at 05:52 AM
Camping

Bajacat, did you have reservations and was there no problem with them? Recall Ken had some difficulties and had to relocate to another camp site I think.

What did they charge you to camp? Being there on Friday nite and Saturday nite - was it a bit crowded?

Palomar sounds very interesting spot to visit. Good report.

John M
bajataco
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2006 at 08:43 AM

WOW - cool post. Thanks for helping with the pics DK.

I am totally amped up to see that pool full of water! When we had visited that spot in 2000, the water line coming from the hot spring was all busted up and the pool was dry. During that visit, we backpacked into the canyon and spend the night camped amidst the boulders and palms. Nobody was there, but there was an old cowboys casita at the big palm grove. It was vacant, but I could tell it was a stop-over because the cowboys had hung provisions from the rafters on the porch (safe from vermin). So is this a developed campground now? Is there a fee to use the hot tub? Any idea what the water temp in the tub was? It seemed to me like the water had to travel a good distance and there might not be enough volume flowing to keep that much water "hot". Maybe warm though. A very idyllic setting, but it was a bummer to see the old spring house and source trammeled by cattle and the source was a mucky mess of cow pies. Is it still like that? Did you hike further up the canyon, past the spring? Sorry for all of the questions - but it's not too often I come across someone who has been back up in there.

Very cool pics of your Dodge crossing the rock garden by the way!

jide
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2006 at 12:17 PM

WOW!!! This is AWESOME!! I had previously heard of a dried up hot springs there, and never bothered to make the trip to see it in person.

jide
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2006 at 12:17 PM

Bajacat, when you mention:"Altitud 1725 FT The next day when to see the other camps on the east side of the stream"

are you talking about Palomar or Guadalupe?

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2006 at 01:02 PM

Thanks for the report. Sounds like a very interesting area to explore.
bajataco
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2006 at 06:00 PM

Quote:
Bajacat, when you mention:"Altitud 1725 FT The next day when to see the other camps on the east side of the stream"

Yea, I meant to ask that question also. :?:

BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2006 at 08:55 PM
G canyon

Quote:
Originally posted by John M
Bajacat, did you have reservations and was there no problem with them? Recall Ken had some difficulties and had to relocate to another camp site I think.

What did they charge you to camp? Being there on Friday nite and Saturday nite - was it a bit crowded?

Palomar sounds very interesting spot to visit. Good report.

John M
John no problem what so ever, there where only a hand full of camps occupied we had the canyon to our selfs, whe pay $170 for three cars for the weekend exellent weather..:yes:

BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2006 at 08:59 PM
Bajataco

Quote:
Originally posted by bajataco
Quote:

Yea, I meant to ask that question also. :?:
I was talking about Palomar canyon it sits higher that G- canyon but it looks almost the same the wather comes out on the side of the hill in numerous spots..

[Edited on 11-26-2008 by BAJACAT]

Palomar hot pool.JPG - 48kB

BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2006 at 09:12 PM
No $

Quote:
Originally posted by bajataco
WOW - cool post. Thanks for helping with the pics DK.

I am totally amped up to see that pool full of water! When we had visited that spot in 2000, the water line coming from the hot spring was all busted up and the pool was dry. During that visit, we backpacked into the canyon and spend the night camped amidst the boulders and palms. Nobody was there, but there was an old cowboys casita at the big palm grove. It was vacant, but I could tell it was a stop-over because the cowboys had hung provisions from the rafters on the porch (safe from vermin). So is this a developed campground now? Is there a fee to use the hot tub? Any idea what the water temp in the tub was? It seemed to me like the water had to travel a good distance and there might not be enough volume flowing to keep that much water "hot". Maybe warm though. A very idyllic setting, but it was a bummer to see the old spring house and source trammeled by cattle and the source was a mucky mess of cow pies. Is it still like that? Did you hike further up the canyon, past the spring? Sorry for all of the questions - but it's not too often I come across someone who has been back up in there.

Very cool pics of your Dodge crossing the rock garden by the way!
Bajataco the place is abandon they dont charge anything the only problem thats private properity I meet the people that runs the cattle ranch and they let me go inside and explore with only one condition to closed the gates as I went throught, the old house is till there . they fix the water line that feeds the pool if this place gets developed is going to make a must destination went traveling the salada the only problem is the time to get there. the water is about 80* I hope I answer all your questions Bajataco...:lol:

[Edited on 11-26-2008 by BAJACAT]

BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2006 at 09:13 PM
DK

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:
Originally posted by BAJACAT
Quote:
I still can figure out Jide I will e-mail the pictures to David K to see If he can post them for me.

I am using the Neal Johns method with great success... Using 'Paint' then sketch & skew... 30% on the first two (over 800KB) and 25% on the third (it was over 1 MB in size) to reduce to under 50 KB for Nomad. Then click 'Save as', add a -R to the file name (for Reduced), or whatever you like... and you will have both the original and reduced for Nomad photos in your file.

See the post entitled 'Essay Question' by Packoderm on the General board (use search) for more details on reducing photos, including a better explanation than the one I just typed.

But, no fear as I am happy to assist any Nomad with posting their photos! My email is info*at*vivabaja.com
Thanks David I will try again.

[Edited on 8-28-2008 by BAJACAT]

Palomar  palms.JPG - 47kB

BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

thumbup.gif posted on 1-12-2006 at 11:07 PM
el palomar

Palomar view end of the rd.JPG - 44kB

BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2006 at 11:13 PM
The road to get there!

Arroyo x.JPG - 47kB

BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2006 at 11:18 PM
Last picture

Bld at palomar.JPG - 49kB

bajataco
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2006 at 10:15 AM

Quote:
I hope I answer all your questions Bajataco...:lol:

YES! Thank you so much. Great info and great pics. ;)

Pappy Jon
Nomad

Mood: Temp rising.

[*] posted on 1-22-2006 at 09:21 AM

I'm confused. I visited Palomar in 1987, then a reunion trip in 1997. We are planning another reunion trip in 2007, but it sounds like this canyon is now improved. Camping? We always just found a flat spot between the chollas. Hot springs? The only "improved" spring was a scummy bathtub about a mile up from a nice casa (can't find the pic in the file). In 1987 the road was rough, in 1997 it had been graded to the casa and was a much easier entry. When we hiked the canyon in 1987 there were reminants of an old road past the casa, but clearly blown out and not passable.
mcgyver
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2006 at 09:58 AM
Pictures

I use Picasa (free from Goggle) to reduce pictures. Best picture software I have ever used and I have xxxxPRO at $800, wotthless compared to Picassa.

Quote:

BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2006 at 10:48 PM
palomar canyon

Quote:
Originally posted by Pappy Jon
I'm confused. I visited Palomar in 1987, then a reunion trip in 1997. We are planning another reunion trip in 2007, but it sounds like this canyon is now improved. Camping? We always just found a flat spot between the chollas. Hot springs? The only "improved" spring was a scummy bathtub about a mile up from a nice casa (can't find the pic in the file). In 1987 the road was rough, in 1997 it had been graded to the casa and was a much easier entry. When we hiked the canyon in 1987 there were reminants of an old road past the casa, but clearly blown out and not passable.
The road still is rough i recomend veicles with alot of clearense, most of the road is driveable untill you come to the arroyo crossings, the house is abandoned, the road goes all the way to the canyon, thats where it ends . the only problem you are going to end up with scraches from all the overgrown bushes. the bathtub still there now you can drive all the way untill you reach it that will be the end of the road still is fun just to get there and also an isolated place to go and just relax away from anything.

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.