Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Mala Mujer
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2006 at 09:18 AM
Mala Mujer

Warning Label

When I saw it, realized what had got me, what was causing me such incredible pain, I could not believe my eyes. The plant, called mala mujer, Bad Woman, would look at home in the garden or on the patio. My calf barely brushed it as I walked through the desert near my home. Mala mujer. Perhaps this whole place should carry such a warning label. A warning and a new name. Maybe this part of Mexico could be called mujer mysteriosa, Mysterious Woman; a thing that has indescribable beauty while sometimes meting out profound pain and heartbreak.

I have a sense of the place that embraces not just the spiky land but both seas, the sky above, the immeasurable history. A cruel place indeed for early travelers ? their boats dashed and ruined on the rocky reefs and shores, their feet cut and bleeding from the crippling scrapes and gouges of dagger plants and nettles. No Cibola here ? they would gladly settle for a wet tinaja.

A woman. They might have seen her as a woman. Her moods, her give and take, are not subtle. Modern day visitors need time to learn her moods. They are lulled into false security, feel less threatened than the adventurers, the settlers and explorers. A rogue wave snatched a family of these new tenderfoots from the beach, a few yards from the sybarite?s pleasure palace on the shore. Killed them all. Yesterday.

She is often rough and dismissive with fawning, moonstruck pilgrims ? they run north before the chafing winds of misadventure with empty purses and infected bowels. Many suitors will not be put off. Broken axels and bleeding hearts lie in the dust as testimony to their unrequited fidelity. She killed all the Indians, the ones with the darkest skin. They found the place full of food they could not gather. Once they were isolated the end came quickly for these early ones.

La Mujer still holds the power to heal, to change, to embrace. She mellows with age. Now she lets the dark skinned ones live -- she makes them work like dogs. She allows me some latitude; I know many of her secrets and I can avoid her nags and nettles because I am no longer fooled by deceptive hues and shapes and textures. I just have to remind myself that in Baja California nothing is what it appears to be.

When they talk about my end, how she took me down, I hope they?ll say, by whatever name they may give her, she let me go quietly into the night; full of her beauty and passion, sated, at peace, knowing I had wooed her, held her if only for a very short while. They will say of me that my fate was sealed when she showed me that irresistible sweet spot between serenity and danger.
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 1-12-2006 at 09:38 AM
Osprey

A tip of the hat to you. Absolutely wonderful!

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 1-12-2006 at 12:08 PM

once again excellent reading. thanks Osprey

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

bajaandy
Senior Nomad

Mood: Adventurous

[*] posted on 1-12-2006 at 04:02 PM

Very nicely done. I love the images your tome provokes. How cool that there have been a few nicely written pieces lately. Thanks for sharing.

subvert the dominant paradigm

"If you travel with a man, you must either fall out with him or make him your good friend."
JBL Noel
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2006 at 07:37 PM

I'm trippin' man.... far out ....woman ?....I didn't see anybody....:o

[Edited on 1-13-2006 by surfer jim]
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2006 at 08:01 PM

Jorge,

Good story.

It's been awhile.

The last one you sent me was about Boston. It's my fault that I didn't reply after reading it, but soaked it in.

I'd welcome more, if you have them.

I would hope that none of us should have to worry about how she takes us when it's our turn. We should all be so lucky to be at the right spot at the right time. There's only one right spot.

That would be my choice.

Your friend,

Paulina<*)))><

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2006 at 10:49 PM

Another good one, Jorge!

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2006 at 06:47 AM

Thanks Osprey.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.