BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: The limits of 4 wheel drive......
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2006 at 09:53 AM
The limits of 4 wheel drive......

Took my new truck out to Lucerne Valley area Saturday.....Dodge 2500 4wd....wanted to see how it works....all stock.....BFG A/T 33 ".....front and rear lockers.....was playing in some sand hills...semi-hard packed....

found a slight sand hill several hundreds yards long ( that could be easily walked up)....

first try is 2 wd.....climbs up for a while but eventually slows and starts bouncing/chattering...end of climb

next try is 4 HI.....goes about one vehicle length further up

next 4 LOW......about same a 4 hi

next 4 low /w/rear locker....same again as 4 HI....

next 4LOW/w front and rear locker.....accually wouldn't go as far as 4 HI did !!....starts chattering/bouncing.....passenger goes out to see what's happening....tires turn/lose traction/get traction/ and this cycle continues....out of control...

All this was done with tires at probably 40 + PSI....(didn't bring guage ).....

Very shocked to find how little difference the 4wd added under this condition....even lockers no help.....

need to go back and experiment with tire pressure next......
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2006 at 10:02 AM

It's all about tire pressure. :yes:

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2006 at 11:43 AM

What motor do you have Jim?
Bob H
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 1-16-2006 at 11:45 AM

With 40+ p.s.i. in your tires, you will have very little success in the sand in your pickup truck. Try airing down those tires to about 15 p.s.i. and maybe put a little weight in your pickup bed the next time you test in the sand. Before you go too far out, make sure you have a friend with a capable vehicle who can help you get unstuck. Carry a Hi-Lift Jack with a good Hi-Lift plastic base as well, a shovel, and maybe even a Pull-Pal to help you dig out. Remember, speed will also help you move above the sand.

Your ideal setup: 4 Hi - no lockers, 12 p.s.i., 25-35 m.p.h. - have a blast!! :bounce:

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2006 at 12:01 PM

btw, you can't walk up a sand hill. You have to run up it at a good amount of speed - If you know what is on the other side of this hill, you can stomp on the gas pedal and get about 40 m.p.h. until you crest the top of the sand hill. Going only 10 m.p.h. w/street pressure in your tires will bog you down and you'll go nowhere fast.

surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2006 at 01:14 PM

This hill was MUCH harder packed than the photo above.....and no way near as steep.....noticed when driving on level sand in 2wd about 10-15 mph no problem...but stop slowly and try to go again ...no way.....

didn't bring tire guage with me but want to go back and start reducing pressure 5 psi at a time to see results......

I think I should go up this in 2wd with lower pressure......

And when I say "walk-up" I mean walking with legs .....:lol:

Oh yes.....it's got a HEMI......

[Edited on 1-16-2006 by surfer jim]
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2006 at 01:30 PM

My best results in my hemi:

Deep sand 15- 20psi, under 30 mph....4wh low......over 30 mph....4wh high.
I usually drive the back roads in 4 wh high with 40 psi.
Get some gas shocks bro . If you get it lifted it becomes easier to crawl under when u have to dig yer way out!:lol:

Keep revs high and don't expect to "creep" around on soft deep sand....that's for sand rails and buggies.

I usually hold the trans in one gear (1st or 2nd)while ascending sand. If your truck auto upshifts on the way up the sand dune you may bog down and sink in.

What rear end does your truck have??

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2006 at 03:19 PM

http://www.staunproducts.com/
This is what you need!

Buy a set of these for ~$60 and set them at 20 p.s.i. Then, see if 20 p.s.i. allows you to drive in the sand properly. If not, drop the deflator setting to 15 p.s.i. and give it another try. This way, you can twist these deflators on each valve stem and wait for your tires to deflate.

When you need to drive out, you need this!
http://www.sunperformance.com/new_stuff.htm

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-16-2006 at 05:59 PM

You won't need a buddy along if you get stuck, just let more freakin' air OUT of your tires!

Nothing is harder to drive on than Shell Island or most of the gulf side beaches which contain 50% crushed shell along with the coarse sand... 20 PSI is the max. to get through, 10-15 psi is much better.

It's not about 4WD, lockers or horse power! I see locals driving their 2WD pickups on the beach south of San Felipe all the time... retrieving fish from nets, selling goods to gringos, whatever, they do it... all with low air pressure.

Some of you know Bob Hale who drives a BIG motorhome right out onto the beach at Shell Island... it is not 4WD... It is all AIR PRESSURE!

The lockers and low range 4WD are great for STEEP, rough grades where you need to crawl... Like the road into and out of Mision Santa Maria!

My old Subaru 4WD wagon with a 1600 cc motor and 13 inch tires did great on the beach... at 10 psi. It's not about power, low range just digs in more (too much power) than hi range as well.

It's all about the AIR PRESSURE... make those tires buldge and then they float on the sand!!! Heavy sidewall truck tires are not the best, as they barely buldge until almost flat.

The danger of running at low pressure is popping the bead on the front tires... So, no suddon turns or braking!

Also, you must reinflate once off the beach, dunes, or sand... as driving on underinflated tires will ruin the sidewalls and tires.

Okay, I'm done...:biggrin:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 1-16-2006 at 06:34 PM

why is Co2 better than compressed air? I can get my dive tanks filled allot cheaper than buying Co2.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-16-2006 at 06:36 PM

Yah, I though NITROGEN was the wonder gas for tires now!??:lol::lol::lol:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 1-16-2006 at 06:48 PM

if you use nitrous oxide you can have party time when it is time to deflate :lol:

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Mexray
Super Nomad

Mood: Baja Time

[*] posted on 1-16-2006 at 06:50 PM
Go to Costco...

...they use Nitrogen to fill your tires...no Oxygen to support rust on the inside of your steel rims...

According to my clock...anytime is \'BAJA TIME\' & as Jimmy Buffett says,
\"It doesn\'t use numbers or moving hands It always just says now...\"
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2006 at 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexray
...they use Nitrogen to fill your tires...no Oxygen to support rust on the inside of your steel rims...

Hey Ray, I remember you airing down at Shell Island - all four tires at one time. You should market that set-up!
Bob H
Mexray
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2006 at 07:15 PM
Bob...

I can't take credit for that one...I saw it on one of the Boards...the Big Bronco Board, I think. Someone had put together an article with pictures, etc...I made mine a bit different, but it was the same idea.

I have a small 12 volt compressor under the hood with a quick disconnect fitting and pressure Gage. My air down/up hose assembly is in the shape of an 'H' - with clip-on air chucks on the ends of the hoses, so I can hook all four tires up at one time (to the compressor) and air down/up them all with the same pressure to each, at one time. The only down side is my Vi air compressor...it takes a while to 'pump em' back up'. What I really need is something like:

http://www.powertank.com/start.htm

...and those 'shoes' would be filled in a real jiffy!

Mexray
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2006 at 07:31 PM
As to travel over the sand, its...

...flotation, flotation, flotation !

As said by others above, you've got to get your vehicle to 'float' over the surface of the sand - big, fat tires work great. Then if you have some real 'Hemi Power', you can put paddle tires on your rig and really FLY up those dunes! It's a delicate 'dance' between horse power and size of those fat tires.

Many years ago I built a sand buggy and powered it with rear engine Pinto Power! I picked up a junkyard stock 2100cc Pinto motor and hooked it up to a VW IRS tranny/suspension. I had to try several paddle tire sizes to get it to perform just right. I used that old Pinto motor for years...you just put your foot into it and up-shifted when the valves floated! Never could break that engine...and it had enough power to stop on the face of a dune, pop the ceramic clutch and 'burn' your way to the top again! Fun stuff, indeed!

Of course those were the days down at Pismo Beach before the State took over the beach and cut back on the fun! In those days, you could run down there on a three-day holiday and camp back in the dunes with 100's of your new best friends - and the noise and dune running would pretty much go on around the clock! Crazy days, but most everyone survived without 'Big Brother' and the State of Calif Park Ranger N-zi's looking over our shoulders! Goodbye Pizmo, Hello Baja California!

surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2006 at 07:52 PM

shark....got 4:56....w/bilsteins.....
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 1-16-2006 at 08:11 PM

I use one of these:

and power it with a 1000 watt inverter permanently installed in the truck. Works great on my mud-terrain 37" tires, and it's less than $100. Inflates them right up!

[Edited on 1-17-2006 by Roberto]
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2006 at 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Yah, I though NITROGEN was the wonder gas for tires now!??:lol::lol::lol:

Use can use propane. Just don't wind up with less that 10% in your tires. :saint:

ArvadaGeorge
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2006 at 08:44 PM

I got my RV stuck right off the bat in Campo Nuevo Mazatlan.
We had 2 atv?s & a Ford 4wd and did some digging and barely got it moving.
Javier cam along and pulled me out-with 2wd he had a full water tank in back.
Made me feel & look stupid..
He told me I needed 15 hp of air.
It?s hard to beat a guy in his own yard
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.