Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Who has the best wine
MICK
Nomad

Mood: livin the good life on the river

[*] posted on 1-19-2006 at 09:32 PM
Who has the best wine

Wondering what some of you think is the best winery in the guadalupe valley. I'm going next week and would like to visit some. I have my favorites but want to here from you
Mick

Getting there is ALL the fun!
Ok being here is fun to
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 1-19-2006 at 09:48 PM
Monte Xanic

Go, ask around, explore and have fun.

It is all good, Napa before traffic jams.

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2006 at 10:23 PM

Monte Xanic has excellent wines, so does Chateau Camou. But the best is Casa de Piedra. (Bring a wheelbarrow full of money.)

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 1-20-2006 at 05:28 AM

i agree with Dave. Check the back issues of wine spectator, they did a fantastic report on GV and featured the best 4 wineries and mentioned some of the others. the issue was about 2 years ago but their website should have it.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 1-20-2006 at 05:35 AM

The Nebbiolo is good also....LA Cetto winery

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

Mood: words cannot describe...

[*] posted on 1-20-2006 at 08:05 AM

LA Cetto was out of their nebbiolo when we visiting in December - said they wouldn't have more til March. But they make a lovely olive oil. We bought a case and brought it back to the States for Christmas gifts. Casa de Piedra is "by appointment only". Monte Xanic has some fun, friendly people working there. We also enjoyed Liciega (that might be spelled wrong - yellow building just off the Hwy 3 on the south south. They also do grappa!
sylens
Senior Nomad

Mood: ando bajando

[*] posted on 1-20-2006 at 10:29 AM
vinisterra

in san antonio de las minas produced an award winning (macouzet) tempranillo 2002. i think they have no more, as we are picking up the last six bottles this afternoon...:tumble:

but i think it is worth your while to visit their website (www.vinisterra.com) and their tasting room.

santo tomas cabernet sauvignon 2000 also won a gold in brussels.

casa de piedra, monte xanic, and chateau camou are my other favorites. cetto isn't among my favorites (except for their 2002 nebbiolo, as mentioned).

lili
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 1-20-2006 at 01:48 PM

I am not a wine expert, but merely a drinker. We tried a nice red at a small winery just outside the Guadalupe Valley... Chateau el Martes Pasado.... and thought it very good.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 1-20-2006 at 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
Chateau el Martes Pasado

Was that the vintage or the vineyard? :lol::lol::lol::lol:
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 1-20-2006 at 03:32 PM
It's great to visit and taste.....

...but think about all the good wines you can get from Argentina, Chile, Spain, Australis.....even Washington State, for under 10.00 these days. Then there is the fact you would have to technically be smuggling anything over 1 bottle per person.

Bajabound has the right idea. Stock up on the olive oil at LA Cetto. Great stuff for about 6-7 dollars for 750ml.

I guess this post is from the perspective of the wine buyer rather than the wine tourist. I have been a wine tourist there and the wines are GENERALLY not worth buying. The few good ones are overpriced for today's market.

Xanic probably did have the best combination of price/quality and they have many wines to taste.

I dont think I've found a single decent white wine at any of the wineries down there. But I have heard there is a good one at Camou. Can anyone verify?
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2006 at 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
Monte Xanic has excellent wines, so does Chateau Camou. But the best is Casa de Piedra. (Bring a wheelbarrow full of money.)

Casa de Piedra... there was a huge article in the Food section on Wednesday's (1-18-2006) San Diego Union Tribune. It looks like the folks a Casa de Piedra (winemaker Hugo d'Agosta) have recently purchased 250 acres of mature vines in Guadalupe Valley that used to supply grapes for Domecq. With this move Casa de Piedra controls one of the largest vinyards in Mexico.

Here's a quote from the ariticle:
"D'Acosta's new vineyards in Guadalupe valley became available due to a parting of the ways between Allied Domecq and L.A. Cetto Winery, who once jointly owned the facility where wines for Domecq were produced.
An individual owned the vineyards through a consortium called Uvas Californias, and Domecq purchased the grapes to make wine.
A dispute arose, and L.A. Cetto said it wanted to be bought out by Allied Domecq. But instead, the winery was closed. As the partnership fell apart, the Uvas Californias consortium that owned the vineyards became worried that no one would buy its grapes.
Fuentes calculated how much the vineyards were worth, and the partners made a low-ball offer. It was rejected."

The article goes on to say that two months later they accepted the original offer after Fuentes approached them again.

It's a very interesting story. I bet this will rapidly change life in this valley over the next few years, huh?
Bob H
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 1-20-2006 at 06:13 PM

White wine??!!:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2006 at 07:05 PM

Theres several good wines and its hard to say wich casa has the best, my humble opinion is that when it comes to Merlot, clearly Liceaga has the best in Baja, Barbera goes to Santo Tomas, Cabernet to Monet Xanic, Nebbiolo to Cetto, and the new casas are creating very interesting blends, i agree with sylens, Vinisterra has some very good stuff and we where selling their Vi?a Domino like crazy.

Other wines not to miss:

Roganto
Adobe de Guadalupe
Baron Balche
Lafarga
Tanama
Tres Valles Jala
Pijoan leonora
Dave
Elite Nomad

thumbup.gif posted on 1-20-2006 at 08:10 PM
Excellent post, Jesse!

Quote:
Originally posted by JESSE
Theres several good wines and its hard to say wich casa has the best, my humble opinion is that when it comes to Merlot, clearly Liceaga has the best in Baja, Barbera goes to Santo Tomas, Cabernet to Monet Xanic, Nebbiolo to Cetto, and the new casas are creating very interesting blends, i agree with sylens, Vinisterra has some very good stuff and we where selling their Vi?a Domino like crazy.

Other wines not to miss:

Roganto
Adobe de Guadalupe
Baron Balche
Lafarga
Tanama
Tres Valles Jala
Pijoan leonora

Another addition to your list would be Mogor-Badan.

Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 1-20-2006 at 08:32 PM

Wow, nice list! Some research material.

The best I have tried is the Cabernet Sauvignon y Merlot from Monte Xanic.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.