Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Cheerful subject matter
Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2006 at 10:01 PM

Somebody somewhere in Baja aught to have a backbone like they do in Bolinas. That town is just as cool as it was 15 years ago.
bajarich
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2006 at 10:01 PM

I wonder how long it will take the Mexican Government to catch on to the idea of property tax, based on the value of the property. It would be a real boon to the Mexican economy, and would help finance their school systems and provide a lot more economic development. They could learn a lot by studying the way it is done here in Utah.
reefrocket
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2006 at 12:03 AM

Sharksbaja and others,
I take it that some of you saw the artical in "Tthe Wall Streete Journal" labled "Builders Bet on Mexico" in the property report section! "Adios" Freindly easy going Loreto! "Adios" Jucalito and the beach! "Adios" Baja de Los Angels! "Adios" San Juanico (Pacific side)!
And I mean this like the Mexicans mean "Adios" -- good by for ever--
Hello to the NEW California where you can't get to the beaches to swim, camp, launch a small boat.
Ya just gotta LOVE progress, (computers that crash, get 'infected, invaded and You idenity stolen, cell phones and the people THEY own --ruining the movie you paid $12 to get into ---ruining the meal with friends in a restaurant and the ever present disrespect of IT being answered while you are talking to IT's servent that you drove 20 miles to see (and after getting an appiontment)
Progress that over values your farm land till you cant make enough of a living to pay the inflated property taxes--- wait till that one gets to the Mexican people and they can't keep thier on land or buy groceries because of all the inflated prices. After all someone has to pay for the infastructure ----and it sure isn't going to be the developer.
Baja has changed so much in the last 10 years I double I get my wish and die before it is all gone.:no::(:(
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2006 at 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Al G
Sharks, I don't know you well, but hope to someday. I sincerely apologize and regretted posting as soon as I did it. I was combining several past post (my memory may be faulty) of yours about people moving to Baja and sort of ran the "philosophical approach" together, with my perceived, desire of yours to soften your approach. The descriptive word "selfish" was to strong and was aimed more as a general statement about one's emotions rather then bare fact.
If all that your are saying is you are "protective" of Baja's resources then I stand at your side. I would go one step farther and partition the Mexican government to double the the beach easement and any development must provide pedestrian easement every 100 feet and vehicle (boat) public access every 1000 feet. If this is not done you will have SoCal in short order. I nominate you Sharks as our Baja representative to protect the beaches.
Baja's friend and yours I hope.
Al G

Thank you Al. I realize that some of my posts rub ones Achilles Heal occasionally. I really do feel a sense of responsibility towards stewarding the beaches we use and frequent. Just like picking up the trash we generate.
This is particularily true if you are abutting the beach. Aside from Mother Natures' wrath upon the shores, man is the one who can decide where the ocean stops and where terra firma begins. Of course the Fed Law draws the real line but the shoreline is the vanguard to the sea. Access to the seas becomes a battleground when livelyhoods are at stake. Mexicans livelyhoods in particular.

All too often areas will be fenced off forbidding traffic that may lead to a families fishing/launching area. We saw this in Ca. too but access to public domain laws insured continued public access regardless of the new Condo owners complaints.

---

"Now that I am on a soap box let me say it is time to get the government to tax something (Condos?) to subsidize the gill netters and long liners. It's not to late! Who is working on this? Is this to idealistic? There are some great writers on this board so why don't one of you inscribe our feelings and let us sign it. The Baja network is large and I am sure it would make an impact."
Al G

Al, that is a grand and noble idea to suggest something I've always promoted personally.Gill netting IMHO the Mexicans don't want it that way bad enough and the transition to modern gill nets and practices can only be as good as it's supporting foundation. There are some good caring orgs and schools exploring environmental issues just like in the U.S. Their data is good, the recommendations are sound but the Mexican gov will prioritize other lucrative enterprises like a new fishery(tuna ranching) rather than save existing ones and or change them to save them.. Mo money talks. Moreover, the core of such an idea needs to demonstrate viability to the average citizen. If somehow you could collectively interface with all the potentially impacted people and then present that viable convincing plan, well, then it could possibly work but it's not probable or even more likely, not currently contemplated.

Other shore abuse is obvious and misplaced golf courses, parking lots,personal marinas are among them.
Don't get me wrong. WE need marinas. We need recreation and we need a place to live. The beaches of Baja offer all these on a grand scale. WE are fortunate to be a part. I feel blessed.
We need to keep it functioning, thats' all.:yes:
THAT is a lot of work!
I hope to meet you also amigo.
---
Rich.... what do u mean? Like taxes based on current sales prices? There is a property tax. You mean based on market value?

I can't imagine what the Mexican politicos would do with all that new easy money!:lol::lol:

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2006 at 08:02 AM

Very good thread!
I am sorry to say that the areas attracting the People from the States will contuine to be more and more like So. Cal.

However there is Hope if you can get out of the Rut!!
There are somanyPalces, beaches mountains to go to in Baja that you can spend years away from the Hordes.
You must change your habits of thinking you need all those Goddies, all that comfort, all those electronics, !!

It will take Hundreds of years to find enough people to fill the Area South of Loreto to La Paz. So go now and enjoy it, you cannot change the hearts or Minds that want all the goodies and a Condo, Let them have it.

You will never be able to change it unless you stop "People"!

Spend your short time on this Erth in Happiness, not in trying to change anothers mind to your Liking~!!.

Skeet/Loreto

Adventure!!!!!
eetdrt88
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2006 at 12:32 PM
Sharks,no problema mi amigo...

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharksbaja
Quote:
Originally posted by eetdrt88
of the community I recently bacame a part of at Km34,my place is just a trailer with an awning but the view is pretty nice and the neighbors seem pretty friendly...Nomads are always welcome to stop by for a cold one;D;D:spingrin:

Eet ,I hope you didn't take my illustrative (derogatory) remark personally.
It was to show how, along with the picture of yours that I modified, the point of the original post. It is a matter of perspective for people to see. Myself, I have mixed feelings about over development(s) of pristine coastlines.

Certainly in reality...mi casa es sus casa. Corky
from what I see you and I actually are very likeminded when it comes to progress of this kind...but like someone mentioned before the best way to deal with it is that I can see is to savor each moment that we are there and try and protect the raw nature that keeps us coming back there;)

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.