Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Mini-splits?
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 1-22-2006 at 05:17 AM
Mini-splits?

We are thinking of adding these air-conditioning units to our Baja home. Has anybody tried them yet and could you provide some experienced information on their operation, power use, etc?

We are looking at a 4 ton unit installation ..3 ducts in house with power unit outside like heat pumps....Any price comparisons?

[Edited on 4-26-2006 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Denver
Junior Nomad

Mood: Rollin'

[*] posted on 1-22-2006 at 06:15 AM
mini splits

I just installed 2 of them in a Baltimore rowhouse. I sourced them through E-bay and installed/hung them myself. I had an electrician hook up the power. I've only got a few months on my units, but they seem to be very efficient.

Price comparisons would be inaccurate since I did the install. I think I paid about $1,700 for a single compressor and 2 wall units that run independently of each other. It works as a dual zone system. I have no ductwork.

Interestingly, the HVAC guys in the states don't push these systems. I think they can charge a lot more for installing ductwork and make a higher margin on the labor. If you go with ducts, make sure the installer uses a liquid mastic and NOT duct tape. You'll have a tighter system with fewer leaks.

Let us know what you decide and who does the work out of La Paz.

The Declaration of Independence only gives you the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself. - Benjamin Franklin
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2006 at 07:48 AM

Pomp
We have three units. The first two we have had for 7 or 8 years. They are wonderful. Low noise and supposedly lower in electrical usage. The only thing to remember is to clean the filters regularly. Because we have so much dust, we get them serviced every other year with a total inside and out cleaning(+ or- $100).
They are used all over the world in the tropics. Ours are Mitsubishi and we have been told by a/c experts that they are the best. Even a Trane guy told us that.
I certainly could not live here year round without them.

Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2006 at 09:47 AM

Pompano: don't mean to highjack the post but I'm surious how your block wall is doing?
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 1-22-2006 at 11:45 AM

Roger

Wouldn't a 4 ton unit need 220v power?

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2006 at 02:05 PM

Two of our units are 2 tons and both use 220

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2006 at 01:54 AM
Mini-Splits installed today

Today a family friend brought 2 very efficient technicians, Manny & Ernesto, from Loreto to install my 4-ton air conditioning system...the mini-splits, as they are called. The duo accomplished the whole job in about 2 1/2 hours...it was amazing to watch as they quickly used their skills to make a nice complete job.

The whole mini-split AC thing is really just like a heat pump install we use in our northern homes minus the heat function. The main unit is about 4 feet high by 4 feet wide by 1 1/2 feet wide and weighs around 250 lbs. The 3 inside cool-air dispersing units are connected with hose from the main outside unit and have remote controls. They are stylish and unobstrusive..and will not mess up your wife's decor. We put one unit in the great room, the second in the master bedroom, and the third in a guest room.

These are also very low energy units..using 220 power. Martin Miranda, our local electrician, is doing the power hookup.

Not nearly as expensive as I thought...and cheaper here than the units we put in at a lake home Up North. a good deal. Up North we paid that much for a 2 ton model and did the main install ourselves.

[Edited on 4-26-2006 by Pompano]

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 1-26-2006 at 06:08 AM

what do you have to power them pompano? a genset or??

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 1-26-2006 at 07:46 AM

we were going to install the exact unit in our house here in Mulege. but we found out we could install 3 1.5 ton mini split units for far less money and save electricity to.

we love them you cant hear them running even on high range and we cut our elect. cost by half.

we got ours from Crux here in Mulege which is much better if you need service later on.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 1-26-2006 at 09:45 AM

Bruce,
Could you give me some details about your units, like supplier, unit cost, installation cost, and what size room(s) it cools efficiently. We have a 2 ton 220,and a 6000 btu 110 unit old fashioed style ,a 10ft ceiling and they struggle during the summer. Maybe a u/u?:light::light:
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 1-26-2006 at 02:15 PM

Pompano
Thanks for the info. I've contacted Alex also, to see if he knows of anyone in Loreto who does the total package. I know the people he brought out, but don't think they do anything else but installation and repairs.
Thanks again.
Mexray
Super Nomad

Mood: Baja Time

[*] posted on 1-26-2006 at 08:39 PM
Roger,

a couple of questions...

1. I'm assuming you have to drill holes in the wall to connect the coolant and electrical to those indoor evaporators...do they also have a drain line through the wall to carry away the accumulated moisture?

2. looks good on the inside...how do you hide all the lines running down the outside walls? Do they provide insulation for the 'cold' freon line running from the outside condenser to the inside wall units?

I've never seen this installation before, and it looks like a real winner! Kind of like an over sized automotive AC unit - compressor and condenser outside, and the evaporator in the 'dash'...

According to my clock...anytime is \'BAJA TIME\' & as Jimmy Buffett says,
\"It doesn\'t use numbers or moving hands It always just says now...\"
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2006 at 06:08 AM

i'm still trying to get an answer on how he powers em at coyote bay??!!

\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2006 at 06:35 AM
Yawn...jeez, a little early for all these questions, but....

First to Mike on the power source. We have mucho power. I have Felipa's treadmill hooked up to.....No, just kidding, sweetheart! But, yes, we actually have electricity here at the house..120 and 240 volts. (..even inside plumbing..) Plus some panels that produce electricity slightly less than the Hoover Dam. These AC units are 220, so best to have a qualified electrician (or a North Dakota farmboy) hook them up.

Ray, indeed we drilled through the walls to hook these up and the hoses are inserted through them. A hook-up plate is attached to the wall and the heads are set on them afterwards. All very clean-looking job when done...stop over when you get here and give them a look. We will be the house with the frosted windows.

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2006 at 06:43 AM
Head attached to plate...

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2006 at 03:32 PM

ok Pomp - but clarify - do you have a solar sys with banks that can run all that?? or gen back up?? enquiring knumbskulls want to know......

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2006 at 06:50 PM

wow! nice set up!

brabramowitz

[*] posted on 2-26-2006 at 06:22 PM
minisplit

Hi,

I am in the process of building a little vacation house in La Paz. When I was there last week I went to quite a few stores to see where I could find the best deal. I would need a 1 ton unit, I think. I didn't understand what the difference was between getting two units or getting 1 unit with 2 outlets.
Thanks in advance for any help that you can give me.
bev
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-27-2006 at 05:48 AM

ASHRAE stds for construction hold that you budget/plan for 1 ton of cooling per every 350-400 SF liveable space to get 78 degrees on a 110 degree day. Use that as a guide.

hey Pompano, my new Harbor Freight catalog has a 20K diesel genset for $5K. says it uses 2.5 gals per hour. wonder if that's throttle wide open on total amp draw?

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 2-27-2006 at 05:52 AM

thats a high price to pay for coolness...

2.5 x $1.80 x 10hrs a day = $45.00 a day

7 days = $315.00 a week

you could rent a hotel room...

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.