BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: To escape the Canadian winter...
Nicole
Junior Nomad

Mood: Dreaming of sun!

[*] posted on 1-22-2006 at 04:27 PM
To escape the Canadian winter...

Hola fellow Baja lovers,
We are a young family just starting out...is there anywhere from La Paz south where a person can buy a lot for less than $15,000? Or a fixer-upper for around $20,000+? I realize this is unlikely but I wouldn't even mind somewhere within a 30 minute drive of the Sea of Cortez coast (San Bartolo?) and a North American population is not necessary...

Ideally (and I don't expect we'll find this but) we would like somewhere slightly elevated (on a hill facing east), within cycling distance of the Cortez coast, with enough room for a small garden and fruit trees. My dream would be to find a house of 100+ years that needed saving as we love both history and nature.

Please keep your eyes and ears open and let me know if you find an old relic in need of the love of a family...

Cheers, Nicole.
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2006 at 07:33 PM

nicole; Try La Ventana-Southeast of La Paz about 45 minutes dive from La paz.

Or turn right at Kilometer 79 North of Loreto and go to San Ysrido.

Skeet/Loreto
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 1-23-2006 at 06:38 AM

Nicole, your dream sounds great and I certainly hope you do find that seaview lot, but the land costs anywhere on the tip of Baja have drastically risen in the last few years...and today I doubt if you will find a seaview house lot legally saleable for your amount of money. This is a suggestion: An alternative would be to follow Skeet's advice and look further inland or north. Some of the mountain valley village areas in Baja Sur are being overlooked in favor of the beach. Check them out, ramble around a little...you will be pleasantly surprised and your chances of finding that old special fixer-upper will be enhanced. Just my opinion, but I think the lifestyle is much more relaxing and you can create your own paradise. If your heart is set on being close to the ocean, then perhaps the other coast north of the tip might be worth some investigation. In any case...Bueno suerte, good luck.

p.s. I have friends in low places. If I hear of anything in that range, I will post here.

[Edited on 1-23-2006 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
mcgyver
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2006 at 09:39 AM

Pamano & Nicole, I do not know about BCS but here in BCN the little mountain towns have been discovered by the overflows from the coastal developments and prices are leaping! A recent investigation by me: Cement block 12' X 24' 2 rooms, $15,000, bare lot 18 meters X 25 Meters with water & electric available $6,000, newer double-wide mobile on 4 lots and fenced $120000. USA style frame house $45000 to $65000. Mexican adobe house that you would not let your dog live in $8000.
Every local (Mexican) that can possibly get into the USA has left town, no jobs, priced out, the rest scrape by as they always do with younger ones contributing income from the USA and the larger ranchers holding there own.

On the beaches from San Felipe to Puertecitos there are 7 new roads to beach subdivisions opened in the last year and new houses going up in areas were there has been no new houses in 10 years or more.

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2006 at 06:21 AM

Nicole....yesterday I was waiting in a Mulege butchershop and talking to an old amigo, Enrique, who owns property along the river. He mentioned he had some small houses with a 'river view' for not much money, also a palapa-sheltered small trailer on a lot for sale in that price range you are talking about...under $18,000. These would be good project houses. Not the ocean view of the Cape, though. Interested? If so, Enrique A. is the owner of La Fortuna Park and is a sincerely honest person. I borrowed Enrique money many years ago for his park and he was determined to repay me quickly, which he did. You would find a good friend in him..and tell him he owes Rogelio a beer.

Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2006 at 06:35 AM

La Vantana, looked at lots there 3 years ago, sea front, 30 to 40K...

today over 250K Vantana & el Sargente gone crazy like all other communities with large American influx.

Maybe prices still ok in La Ribera???
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2006 at 08:06 AM

George, land down in the corridor went from $50K to $100K a lot to over a million per in record time. I know a Cabo & Cape land owner who recently bought 7500 acres adjoining his original 5000 near King City, Ca. area and the coast...for a guest ranch and hunting preserve. 20 years ago, he was a Baja garlic-tomato buyer who had a vision about the Cape.

La Riberia? I do not know. Maybe it will be the next boom-town?

tim40
Senior Nomad

Mood: There yet?

[*] posted on 1-26-2006 at 03:56 PM

Educate me please. Where is La Riberia?

When searching for the end of your rainbow you only have until dusk....
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-26-2006 at 05:13 PM

Past Los Barriles on the road to Cabo Pulmo (East Cape)... You really ought to have a Baja map or two around or on your wall!:light: But I don't mind helping!:saint:

If you go to the thread on Baja Locations from Space, I have many many places (including La Ribera) listed.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Nicole
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2006 at 10:44 AM

Hello all,

Been a while since I wrote but wanted to thank all of you who replied. La Ribera looks interesting as does La Ventana for land in my price range. Fell in love with the friendly people of Los Barriles/Spa Buena Vista but alas can't seem to find anything in my price range...please let me know if you hear anything about land in the under $20,000 price range. Anything from 200m2 would suit us just fine. Cheers.
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 6-23-2006 at 11:42 AM

Nicole

North of La Paz 30K and to the Pacific 20K Lots of land in your price range.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
Nicole
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2006 at 03:44 PM
Spa Buena Vista

Hello again...

Saw longlegsinlapaz' post to drzura's topic re: Loreto Lots and thought it was excellent advice.

Have since done quite a bit of thinking and have settled on Spa Buena Vista as the future home of our little family... Please drop me a line if you hear of anything there (no matter how small) in the $20,000 range.

All the best, Nicole.
bancoduo
Banned

[*] posted on 7-28-2006 at 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Nicole
Hola fellow Baja lovers,
We are a young family just starting out...is there anywhere from La Paz south where a person can buy a lot for less than $15,000? Or a fixer-upper for around $20,000+? I realize this is unlikely but I wouldn't even mind somewhere within a 30 minute drive of the Sea of Cortez coast (San Bartolo?) and a North American population is not necessary...

Ideally (and I don't expect we'll find this but) we would like somewhere slightly elevated (on a hill facing east), within cycling distance of the Cortez coast, with enough room for a small garden and fruit trees. My dream would be to find a house of 100+ years that needed saving as we love both history and nature.

Please keep your eyes and ears open and let me know if you find an old relic in need of the love of a family...

Cheers, Nicole.
What would be your means of support? You can't work down here, unless you are hawking time shares:?:
jimgrms
Senior Nomad

Mood: its always good

[*] posted on 7-28-2006 at 06:26 PM

Nicole check with shari on this forum she is from canada and is in assuncion on the pacific coast
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 7-28-2006 at 07:04 PM

there is a place I know of here, a small house on the waterfront for around $15,000 and some lots with ocean views for around 2-5 grand. Best to come and check it out for yourself.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
SiReNiTa
Special Correspondent

Mood: Savoring life while saving the world!

[*] posted on 7-28-2006 at 09:22 PM

mooom she said sea of cortez not iceland...but it is well worth it to buy a property is asuncion since it is beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!

Live life as well as you can,
don\'t regret the things that once made you smile,
learn from your mistakes,
and thank God for every second he gives you upon this earth.

Visit me at
Http://BajaScents.Scentsy.com.mx
Paulclark
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2008 at 11:53 AM

I have ocean view lots with water in Castillo de Arena, which is 14 km. south of Cabo Pulmo for $19,000 -- 1/2 acre lots. They are 700 meters from the ocean. Title insurance available. Go to www.eastcapehomes.com It is an hour drive on a gravel road to the airport in San Jose del Cabo. The development started in 1996 and has Canadian and American residents. It is RV friendly subject to development rules and regs.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-23-2008 at 03:50 PM

This thread is over 2 years old Paulclark...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2008 at 05:22 PM

Well, I wonder where she ended up?

P<*)))>{

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Nicole
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2008 at 05:25 PM

We have been renting the last two years in Todos Santos - saving like mad and still looking for property. We have totally fallen for this village and our original budget seems not sufficient but we refuse to give up on the dream! Baja Sur is the only place I feel truly alive!!
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.