BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Toyota trouble, O2 sensor?
Cardon Man
Super Nomad

Mood: !Al Chingaso!

puzzled.gif posted on 1-23-2006 at 10:32 AM
Toyota trouble, O2 sensor?

A while back my trusty '85 toyota pick up ( 22re EFI ) began to exhibit a strange lugging at low RPM's when excellerating from a stop. Soon after, the RPM's would drop suddenly at highway speed...but only briefly. Now suddenly the truck won't make it out my drive. It lugs and stalls. Stepping on the gas seems to have no effect on the RPM's, which never get very high before the engine dies. Some have suggested this is the oxygen sensor causing the problema. Can any toyota fans out there give me some ideas? Is the oxygen sensor easy to get at and replace my self?
Bajalero
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2006 at 10:47 AM
22Re

Fuel filter?

When was the last time you did a complete tune up?

Plugs , cap, rotor, check resistance of plug and igniter wire, fuel and air filter.

What's your ign. timing?

Have the same exact thing in the middle of my shop floor right at the moment

[Edited on 1-23-2006 by Bajalero]
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 1-23-2006 at 12:04 PM

Maybe CAT.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
Tucker
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2006 at 12:25 PM

I had a similar problem with my 86 22r. It was the fuel filter. Incidentally the only other problem I had in the 9 years I owned it was a fuel pump.

\"I think it would be a good idea.\"
-- Mahatma Gandhi, when asked what he thought of Western civilization
Cardon Man
Super Nomad

thumbup.gif posted on 1-23-2006 at 01:04 PM

Thanks for the suggestions all. I will investigate the fuel filter and other possibilities suggested by Bajalero.
burro bob
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2006 at 01:57 PM

I also am having similar, but not to the point where it won't run, problems with my 22re.
Besides the fuel filter and oxygen sensor I have been told that it is also possible for the catalytic converter to clog up and exihibit similar problems. Maybe it's time to take it off or rod it out. If it has to get smoged in the US don't remove it.
The fuel filter is the hard part to get to.
burro bob

[Edited on 1-23-2006 by burro bob]
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2006 at 04:26 PM

VERY doubtful that the O2 is the problem......

fuel filter and fuel pump( pressure ) are at top of list.....how old is the pump? start there before you throw a bunch of parts on.....(average life span of pump is 75-100 K miles or around 7 years )
Cardon Man
Super Nomad

eureka.gif posted on 1-23-2006 at 06:17 PM
Fuel pump...

Quote:
Originally posted by surfer jim
VERY doubtful that the O2 is the problem......

fuel filter and fuel pump( pressure ) are at top of list.....how old is the pump? start there before you throw a bunch of parts on.....(average life span of pump is 75-100 K miles or around 7 years )

Thanks for the input everyone. For the record, the fuel pump was last replaced back in the early '90's and many Baja trips ago. I remember when the old one gave out...it happened all of a sudden and just shut me down roadside right away. That's why I jumped to other conclusions with these new symptoms.

Thanks for the links Grover!
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2006 at 06:29 PM

No matter what I would do the pump now....I replace mine around 90 k just for confidence....(when/if they make it that long)....better to do it at your choice than side of the road when it decides to stop....

is your pump in the tank?.....
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2006 at 07:18 PM

I assume it idles OK out of gear and the gas is good. First get a code from the flashing check engine light and see what that tells you. If no code check the fuel pressure 33-38psi. Low pressure replace filter or check it with the filter bypassed. If the fuel pressure OK. Check the ignition system and for air leaks. Eleminate things one step at a time.
Geronimo
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2006 at 06:56 PM

When the O2 sensor is not working the computer just goes into closed loop and does not look to external sensors for input. O2 sensor will cause milage loss and drivebilty problems with change of altitude and temperature. Fuel would defenitly be where I would look first. The fuel filter will make you take back every good thing you ever said about Toys.

Geronimo
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2006 at 08:28 AM

On my 91 chevy I had to change the fuel filter every 25,000 miles. The signs were it would lose power around 2500rpm and start spitting and sputtering. Below that it seemed to run OK. On my 93 Toyota I changed the filter at 100,000 miles just for the heck of it. I drove them both in Baja a lot but why the difference in filter changes ??? maybe the chevy throttle body injectors required more pressure.
MICK
Nomad

Mood: livin the good life on the river

[*] posted on 1-25-2006 at 12:46 PM

At the top of the Throttle body. (front top of engine) there is a idle adjustment screw ( Flat screw in a hole) I t has a o ring on it and if that cracks it could cause that problem
Good luck
Mick

Getting there is ALL the fun!
Ok being here is fun to
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2006 at 02:07 PM

Thanks Mick. My son now has the truck. I'll pass the info on to him.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.