BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Do I declare all items/any item?
Goldminer10

[*] posted on 1-26-2006 at 08:27 PM
Do I declare all items/any item?

Group: Vag Members
Member No.: 710

This is my first trip driving into Mexico

My insurance dompany says I have to get a FN-T tourist permitt within 72 hrs of crossing the boarder??? OK

Do you declare all items not attached to your camper that are expensive? I carry 2 $400 solar units in the back of my truck and set them up when I get where I am going. A friend of mine cleared off the top of his rig with a tree branch. Nothing on top of my rig!Thanks??. Richard :spingrin:

Things I like
People Traval Fishing gold mining
Mexray
Super Nomad

Mood: Baja Time

[*] posted on 1-26-2006 at 08:53 PM
GM10,

Use the 'search' function above to read up about tourist permits...lots written about it in the past...

If you're going to stay below the border more than 72 hours, you'll need to get tourist visas for each person - about $20US, these days. The quickest way if you are going across at Tijuana, is to pull over to the 'right' as you cross into Baja at the 'Declare' parking lot. Just ask anyone there and they will get you headed to the right office...get permit at immigration, fill it in and sign, go to bank payment window, pay and take back to immigration for final stamp, and you're on your way.

You don't have to 'declare' any of your stuff you use for camping. we have never be hassled in that way. When you leave the 'Declare' area after getting you tourist visa, you will be asked to push the 'green light/red light' button - if it's green (usually) you will be on you way - if it's 'Red' you'll be asked if you have anything to declare...and they may want to look in the camper - any usual, normal camping items won't need to be declared. that's our experience of many years crossing there...However, we usually cross in the wee hours of the morning, so they don't pay much attention to us anyway!

According to my clock...anytime is \'BAJA TIME\' & as Jimmy Buffett says,
\"It doesn\'t use numbers or moving hands It always just says now...\"
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-26-2006 at 10:12 PM

The FM-T is FREE if you stay is a week or less. If you have to pay for a longer trip, then request 180 days (for other trips within that period).

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

msawin
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2006 at 11:41 PM

The Vagabundos web site has a list that details what you can bring in as a tourist. There are limits to what do can bring with you.. A great list to give you an idea of whats ok. A big thing that is of concern is bringing products down that are to be resold without paying the import tax... I think it's 35%.

One trip down I had two new spinning reals. One I left in the box with out line added yet...It was questioned of value for taxing, but it was to be used on my fishing trip ..Loreto Airport.. That just said "go on".

The declartion is for import tax. For selling, or transoprting to be sold by someone in Baja. There are a ton of importers that make a living bringing items into Baja to sell. Also if you live in Baja full time or part time, you are allowed only certain itmes for a one time import without tax.

you should not have to declair anything on your camping trip..

Marty
mcgyver
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2006 at 03:06 AM

Goldminer10, I like your handle! I am (I guess)a retired gold miner among other things. If you will look back in to the past posts on this forum you will find many informing posts about "Declare or Not to Declare". In general if it is a used item and it looks used, they will pass it. For instance you will see Mexican shoppers stop on the USA side of the border and remove tags and wrappings from their purchases, rumple them up, put them in a garbage bag and declare them as used (from the Flea market) . What every one misses is the fact of the Mexican customs law that says if you are in the "Declare Lane" and you have an item that they say requires duty on you can argue the case that it does not, with out penalty. IE: Your solar panels, You say they are used and for camping but they are still in the box and show no signs of use, close call! They can and have made people pay especially for solar panels that are not affixed to a rig and appear to be usable for a house easily. You can argue that you take extra good care of them and say they are old (Look!! date on them 1995) Don't make the mistake and think that all Mexicans are stupid!) If you are not in the "TO Declare " lane and do get pulled over and the inspector decides you were trying to smuggle an item in to the country ( Solar Panel). He is the deciding officer and you have no defense left and you can not then declare the item, you are in the wrong lane!! He then can arrest you and seize your car and everything in it if He so desires! You will read on this forum posts that brag " I drive through with a truck and trailer load of building materials and I don't even get looked at" This is true! I have did it myself and then slip them a $20 or so if they question it. This also works sometime. Came the time a couple of years ago when I drove up to the "Nada Lane" with a fiberglass shower in a 3 cartons ( Bigger than the PU) in a brand new Toyota Tacoma at Algodones, I was instantly ordered out of the PU and arrested for attempted smuggling! My wife and I were taken to the customs impound area and told we were awaiting transport of us and our PU to Mexicali to jail. They were not interested in bribes or anything else and were filling out papers by the clipboard full. After over an hour and 1/2 I was allowed to present my invoices ($830 worth) and story to the head of the customs ( They could not get a tow truck to tow my PU and had no car available to take us to Mexicali). We had to unload and ID every thing in the truck and I mean down to my tools and jack and lug wrench!! He then lectured me on the Mexican customs law and made me go back and go through the "TO Declare" lane and push the button too! Of course I got the red light and then we went through the inspection procedure again and was allowed to pay 37% duty and 19% penalty. None of this was cash, all was with full signed stamped paper work, no question of bribes!! So now when I cross (often) I go to the declare lane any way and let them look and 99% of the time I get a "Pase" or occasionally a " That looks like about $20 worth to me" This last always with a look around to make sure no one is watching because taking a bribe is against the law too! Any way you make your choice and take the consequences!
A good way to get a feel for a crossing is if possible walk over close to the area ( I know this is impossible at most of them) and just watch what they pass and what gets searched, it worth a 1/2 hours education. You can Google the English translation of Mexican Customs laws and read for your self. Many other people have had trouble crossing BUT they do not post on here ( mainly from embarrassment). An FM-3 or an FM-2 do allow a 1 time exemption for some items, otherwise they allow no special exemption but showing one can not hurt.

Goldminer10

lol.gif posted on 1-27-2006 at 06:04 AM
Thank You

Thank You very much for the inputs. I will look at the sites suggested. Again thanks for the information. I have a placer mine in Central, Akaska and a "play" plscer in Az, where I live. I will use the Mexicali crossing..... Richard:lol::lol:

Things I like
People Traval Fishing gold mining
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2006 at 08:02 AM

Crossing the border at Tijuana...........

KISS don't offer anything, just answer questions...........no problemas

later <:)>>>< George

\"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men\" Plato

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.