Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: A simple Question
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 1-30-2006 at 08:20 PM
A simple Question

How does one become marooned on a desert Island when one is supplied by an Aeroplane. Just a bit confused, don't you know.

[Edited on 1-31-2006 by Baja Bernie]

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2006 at 08:55 PM

Easy, if you get a permit. ;D

Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 1-30-2006 at 09:15 PM

"To be put ashore on a desolate island or coast and left to one's fate" The definition doesn't really speak to whether or not the situation may be voluntary.

I was "marooned" on the coast of Quintana Roo in the mid 60's, but I agreed to stay behind and guard the salvage rights to the Arawak Chief while the rest of the crew went back to Belize and the Gallego captain went to Miami to bring a tug. I wish I had Graham's wordsmith skills. Maybe I could have made a book out of that (mis) adventure.

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 1-30-2006 at 10:03 PM

Oso,
Please tell us your adventure.

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
Oso
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2006 at 06:23 AM

It's too long to post here. "One of these days", I'll take another shot at writing and put the story up somewhere below.

Baja Bernie

[*] posted on 1-31-2006 at 07:15 AM
Questioned my Motives

Someone questioned my motives, in a U-2-U, about why I had posted this negative post. Well, I didn't think it was negative and below is what prompted me to start this post. Please read the last sentence.

Graham is a nice person and we even had lunch together once when I was seeking help from him on one of my books.

Bonnie IS a saint!

MexMike

posted on 1-28-2006 at 14:47

Just registered - looks interesting. But I have to say a few of you have the wrong impression about Graham. I've spent quite a bit of time with him - in San Pedro de Martir delivering condors, in LA Bay on a film shoot, and have listened to his plans and reasons for his trip to Isla Guarda. He has to make a living like we all do, but his "real" motivation is experiencing unusual aspects of Baja and then sharing his experiences. But then, there is always spin on any person/situation on message boards. Thought you all might like some first person input. Dropping off some basics for Graham by plane next week - more for the experience than the need, but those are the things that make life exciting!

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-31-2006 at 09:06 AM

Graham coined the term 'marooned' in a comical description of his condition on the island BECAUSE HE CAN NOT LEAVE on his own.

Bonni sends me any news she gets about Graham and I share them with you all... Many are fans of his books. If anyone is not, then don't let me bother you.

There has been no communication from Graham or Bonni about an air drop of any supplies. But, if there is that still doesn't change Graham's status of being 'marooned' or not able to leave the island.

Thanks for adding some detail to the thread... As you didn't originally mention it was about Graham, and you didn't ask it in the thread about Graham... I wasn't 100% certain that was who.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

gonetobaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2006 at 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Baja Bernie
How does one become marooned on a desert Island when one is supplied by an Aeroplane. Just a bit confused, don't you know.

[Edited on 1-31-2006 by Baja Bernie]

Well,

Call me up, I will put you on the island with no way off. I will leave you with my handheld Aiviation radio. We pay extra to have Capt Mike buzz the island and drop off Pacificos with little parachutes hooked to them.

Did I mention that I have the permits to do this....:smug:

I only wish Graham would have picked the Islas Encatadas.

Listen everyone, if you want to be left on an island all alone, its easier than you think. The hard part is once you have been left there. I have spent time on the islands, although never La Guardia. To me after a few days the noise from the birds and sea lions, combined with the "extended camping" proves to be quite a challange. Little things like, well, giant c-ckroaches and big rattlesnakes come to mind every time I would go to sleep. You would hear big splashes in the water at night and not have any clue what it was. After a few days I was glad to head back and take a hot shower. I have never read any books by Graham, I am not a reader. Im glad people like him will go to the extreme and then write about it. This may be a book that I read. How much longer is going to be out there?
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-31-2006 at 09:25 AM

Everything I have heard from Graham is in the thread about Graham on Nomad... 2 months is what he says. Do read the emails I posted in that thread.

I can highly recommend Graham's first book that you will enjoy, even if not a big time book reader. The first leg of his 3,000 mile Baja coastling walk is San Felipe to L.A. Bay... Right by your area in Baja.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 1-31-2006 at 09:52 AM

Pompano will be marooned at Ray's Bar most of the day today...his only chance of leaving would be a crawl down the beach to Anna's Bar and Cafe. Prayers for him would be appreciated...also payment of overdue bar bill. This could be air-dropped or brought by dune-buggy.

[Edited on 1-31-2006 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 1-31-2006 at 10:03 AM
Pompano.....

....no one gets the mileage you do out of photos.

Keep up the good work......
zforbes
Nomad

Mood: Living the dream

[*] posted on 1-31-2006 at 12:51 PM

With those three leading the pack, trouble would be fun....
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 1-31-2006 at 12:53 PM
I think some of us.......

......are looking at this adventure with the same skepticism that we view some of the "reality" shows that are on TV. Maybe a little hardship, but not really that big a deal. Help is always at the ready.

Others have construed that we skeptics have a problem with Graham, personally. At least for me, that's not the case. If he can make a buck by selling books about his "adventures", then that's fine. I won't be among the purchasers, however.

Come to think of it, if these reports continue, there wont be any real incentive for most Nomads to buy it; they will already know how it turns out.
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2006 at 01:33 PM
Hooks' right!

Quote:

......are looking at this adventure with the same skepticism that we view some of the "reality" shows that are on TV. Maybe a little hardship, but not really that big a deal. Help is always at the ready.

Exactly.

When one learns of his plans and backup arrangements it tends to diminish the thought of his actually being marooned.
DK insists that this means he has to call a cab for a ride. Heck, if the hardy Canadian was able to come and go in his boat then it does seem ludicrous to suggest Graham can't.:rolleyes:
I am sure that the isolation must be incredible but it seems the (future) author loves this solitude and is comfortable alone.
Now that we all know how he does these trips, I feel less intrigued from an adventure standpoint. As far as this being a valuable educational documentary on the Isla, absolutely!

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2006 at 02:04 PM

I think I'll wait for the movie.

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain
Oso
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2006 at 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharksbaja
Quote:

Exactly.

When one learns of his plans and backup arrangements it tends to diminish the thought of his actually being marooned.
DK insists that this means he has to call a cab for a ride. Heck, if the hardy Canadian was able to come and go in his boat then it does seem ludicrous to suggest Graham can't.:rolleyes:
I am sure that the isolation must be incredible but it seems the (future) author loves this solitude and is comfortable alone.
Now that we all know how he does these trips, I feel less intrigued from an adventure standpoint. As far as this being a valuable educational documentary on the Isla, absolutely!

Exactly.

Anyone who has actually read any of Graham's books knows that he is not trying to prove anything, get into the Guiness records or pull off a "reality show" stunt. He is primarily doing something he finds an interesting thing to do, that gives him lots of solitude and time for introspection, reflection and philosophical searching. I liked the first book better than the second, which was a bit TOO introspective and well, "religious" for my personal taste but I guess wandering alone in the wilderness (except for 4-legged companions) will lead to that sort of thing. I don't have the third one yet, but since I got the first two signed (In Blythe where I met BBbait) I'm sure I will buy it next time I see him. I expect it and the Island book will also be more "journies of the mind" than endurance contests.

Baja Bernie

[*] posted on 1-31-2006 at 05:58 PM
Boy,

All I do is ask a question based on what MexMike posted about dropping supplies by plane to Graham and I get hit over the head for asking and then questioned about why I posted a separate post from the original one.

Then I am honored by being placed in the company of two people, Oso & Lera, whom I respect most highly. Unfortunately, I am only placed in that company because I am a "trouble maker."

I apologize because I did not realize that questions were no longer allowed on this board and I did not understand that I should not have started a separate post of my own. I still do not understand the rules on that one.

It is my strong feeling that Graham is a big boy and he can do anything he wants to as long as Saint Bonnie goes along with it--In fact I guess he can do what he wants without her blessing if he so choses.

Perhaps I should ask Doug to expand my title from Normal Nomad to "Normal Trouble Making Nomad."

No, I think I will stick with my Normal Nomad label if it is okay with the rest of you.

Back into my cave for, oh, about two months---nah!

But! Do any of you appreciate how boring this board would be if we all marched to the same drummer and were not allowed to express our thoughts if they did not conform to the wishes of a few.

Okay! Time out trouble maker, you just go stand in a corner until you bring more pleasant thoughts and feelings to this board.

Woops! And have a coke if I get service like that--perhaps with just a drop or two of that pirate brew. (this is what got edited)

[Edited on 2-1-2006 by Baja Bernie]

eetdrt88
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2006 at 06:14 PM
Hey Bernie...

its happy hour...have a coke:spingrin::spingrin::spingrin:

Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2006 at 06:39 PM

This is where this topic belongs and it is valid topic.
The way I veiwed the other thread was someone was talking about something then some else starts talking about how stupid it is and what a farce it is. While those things may be true it is not the conversation being had. If everyone starts talking about it then fine, but to have people continue on about it while others keep making snide remarks is just plain rude, Want to talk about what a joke it is? Fine, act like a person and go have your conversation somewhere outside of the first one.

Part of the conversation could be disagreeing with it but not attacking the person that brought it though. Take the internet out of the equation (?) and imagine standing around a campfire on the beach and have the same discussion as was had with DK's post about about Grahams latest misadventure is. Some of you would be considered rude and by putting it under the guise of being 'honest' or of expressing your mind is a bunch of BS.

Want to speak your mind? Then keep your fingers off of the keyboard when it is a subject you disagree with. Or make a brief response that you think the whole thing is hokey and will not be buying his book or be following the thread. Then you made your point and are out of the 'conversation' and other people that are interested in it may continue on with without all the useless stuff that has little or nothing to do with conversation outside of you trying to make a point.

So to Baja Bernies question it is really quite simple...what does being marooned on an island have to do with being supplied? Marooned generally means unable to leave. Yes, Graham can leave by swimming, paddling his kayak. Neither of which are perfect solutions without some inherent risk. Getting resupplied has nothing to do with it.

As for my 2cents, I am interested in the updates just to see what he says and to hear about what may happen. I will not be buying the book though. To me what might be interesting would probably fit on a couple of pages unless it delves into the flora and fauna quite deeply. I could care less about his ramblings and thoughts about the experience.
turtleandtoad
Senior Nomad

Mood: Good if fishing

[*] posted on 1-31-2006 at 07:08 PM

WEBSTER
Main Entry: 2maroon
Function: transitive verb
1 : to put ashore on a desolate island or coast and leave to one's fate
2 : to place or leave in isolation or without hope of ready escape

Doesn't sound like Graham to me! A better choice of words would have been Solitude or Seclusion, which implies a willing act by the person.

You would have thought that someone that makes a living by writing would have a better grasp on the language. My instructors would have rapped my knuckles for a slip like that. :biggrin:

Of course it wouldn't have had the punch that marooned has.

Mike & Robin; Full-Time RV\'ers
37\' Georgetown w/3 slides & 275 Watts of Solar Power
06 Taco TRD
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

To paraphrase Frank Lloyd Wright; I\'m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let\'s start with keyboards. -- Mike Dean
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.