Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: A simple Question
Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2006 at 07:15 PM

Quote:

You would have thought that someone that makes a living by writing would have a better grasp on the language. My instructors would have rapped my knuckles for a slip like that.

Maybe you should define READY as used in your definition since number 2 seems to fit Graham, does it not.
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 1-31-2006 at 07:23 PM
Okay-Okay!!!

Give us authors a break---We all wish to make what we write at least exciting enough to attract attention. Were I to write a book about trying to sleep on a desert island I would probably use "maroooned." The other words available are somehow hollow and do not paint a picture that is worth painting....Try stranded, abandoned, isolated, stuck....Graham is correct if he wishes to engender excitement in his readers.

So now I guess I am no longer in the trouble maker club.

May I have another coke?

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
turtleandtoad
Senior Nomad

Mood: Good if fishing

[*] posted on 1-31-2006 at 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Fatboy
Quote:

You would have thought that someone that makes a living by writing would have a better grasp on the language. My instructors would have rapped my knuckles for a slip like that.

Maybe you should define READY as used in your definition since number 2 seems to fit Graham, does it not.

I think the key words there are "without hope". He has hope, he has a boat, a radio, and people looking over him, so there is hope.

There are shut-ins in the US that have less contact with the outside world than he has. I wouldn't call them marooned, abandoned? maybe!; isolated? probably! But not marooned. and, although he is somewhat isolated, he isn't marooned!!

Mike & Robin; Full-Time RV\'ers
37\' Georgetown w/3 slides & 275 Watts of Solar Power
06 Taco TRD
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

To paraphrase Frank Lloyd Wright; I\'m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let\'s start with keyboards. -- Mike Dean
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-31-2006 at 08:22 PM

My goodness...

When Graham reads all of this (and he will since Bonni is), he is going to regret his choice of the word 'marooned' in describing his condition there! I know Graham personally and have for 16 years... I can tell you he is a harmless little red-headed fuzzball and has not an ill thought of anyone who loves Baja. You really need to meet the guy and experience one of his slide shows!

Let's start over:

1) Graham Mackintosh, author of three Baja personal adventure books has chosen to spend a planned two months on an uninhabited desert island (Angel de la Guarda).

2) Besides limited food and water he has only a simple kayak to explore the island's coast (unable to cross back to the peninsula) and a radio that will only reach people within his line of sight (nearby planes or boats).

3) It would be easy to write a novel about such an adventure with this man's background, but Graham is actually there, so no fiction.

4) This book could have valuable information for anyone who sails the sea, knowing the research Graham puts into his books. In any case, it will be fun to read, if nothing else.

So, cut the guy some slack... he is THERE and we are NOT!:yes::yes::yes:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Dave
Elite Nomad

biggrin.gif posted on 1-31-2006 at 11:17 PM
Uh...Make that twins

Quote:
Originally posted by Braulio
Bernie - I'm going to add you to the official list of Nomad Troublemakers - along with Lera and Dave - so now you guys are a triumvirate.

I do not make trouble. I simply exploit it.

Baja Bernie

[*] posted on 2-1-2006 at 07:47 AM
Oso & Lera

With Dave's explaination of Braulio's statement I am now wondering if I may rejoin the "TT's" (Troublesome Triuvirate) and share responsibility in, as Dave says, exploiting trouble.

I will leave this deciision in your competent hands.

No, I will not beg, but I will whine.

May I have a coke.

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
turtleandtoad
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2006 at 08:52 AM

Will someone PLEASE give that guy a coke!!!!!:spingrin:

06 Taco TRD
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

To paraphrase Frank Lloyd Wright; I\'m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let\'s start with keyboards. -- Mike Dean
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2006 at 08:56 AM

I once read an article written by a guy who had a freighter drop him off on a deserted isle bizzillion miles from nowhere - the plan was for them to pick him up again in 2 years. He planned pretty well but he needed sustainable livestock and they escaped, got diseases. At times he had to work round the clock for days just to stay alive. He survived. Fascinating story. What I would really like to read is a story written by one of you if you would live for 2 months on islands in the same way the Vagabundos del Mar lived. That book I would buy, read, hold and cherish. Any takers? Gringorio, David K? Anyone?
bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2006 at 12:07 PM

It's certainly inspiring to learn that I've been appointed to an exclusive triumvirate, instead of just being a lone Troublemaker. I'll try not to let this go to my head.

Do you intend to give us lapel pins, Braulio?

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain
turtleandtoad
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2006 at 12:19 PM

How about a big TT tatooed on your forehead?:lol::lol:

06 Taco TRD
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2006 at 01:07 PM

No thanks. I do not trust suggestions from guys who upset my friend Skeeter by going around STARK NEKKID on motorcycles.

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain
turtleandtoad
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2006 at 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalera
No thanks. I do not trust suggestions from guys who upset my friend Skeeter by going around STARK NEKKID on motorcycles.

There's GOT to be a story there :O:O

06 Taco TRD
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2006 at 09:00 AM
Letter from Bonni 2-1-06

Because a new thread on Graham was started, the letter I received from Bonni will be inserted into both... it has to do with the air drop and other concerns:

Wednesday, February 1, 2006 10:23 AM
This is some infill for the readers who are interested in following Graham's trip to Isla Angel de la Guarda. The letter that Gary (the primo kayaker) sent me is all I've heard from Graham, not surprisingly. We trust he is doing well and I am personally very stoked about this trip.

From my years being with Graham, I know how many people take the time to tell him what his books mean to them. There is also never any denying how many people do not like his brand of travel or writing. He agrees with dissension!

No one thinks he is out there trying to thwart death every day. As for the idea of being "marooned," this thread opens with a copy of a personal Christmas email to David K. From the next letter, which Graham actually wrote to Baja Nomad readers, he's used quotes to show the humor intended with the word. Sorry that got lost. Mentioning his book intentions took on a life of it's own, too.

Today I'm bringing a letter for Graham to Mike, who will be flying over the island around Feb. 6. His "drop" is limited to about 20 pounds (beer and chocolate!) as weight is very tight on a light plane and they are en route from parts elsewhere in Baja. Like he indicated in his post, Mike is doing this for mostly his own experience--but it will sure be appreciated. He will let us know what the latest is on Graham when he can.

Two other friends are going to join Graham for about a week around Feb. 22. They will also be able to let me know any news from him when they return. He has his foibles to be sure, but is not hiding them and making any great claims. Anyone is welcome in his camp to enjoy with him some of the best that Baja, or even the world, has to offer. He is one lucky person to be out there.

Thanks to all the people who have expressed support for Graham. He realizes completely how he has been helped by so many people he's encountered, or possibly doesn't even know, over the years. Will let you know what's up when I hear.

Bonni

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bud
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-5-2006 at 12:26 PM

Well, I'm half way through the desert place book right now.
I've been to the area he's in obove LA bay in a boat. And on most of the land. So, it's been very interesting to me. As far as I'm concerned it good to hear what his thoughts were during the process of going down the coast. I know some seem to not like his style of writing and all I have to say about that is....to each his own. :yes: So far he's held my interest pretty well. Still have a long way to though.

And Braulio, I got that suitcase book you suggested. As soon as I'm done with Grahams books I'll dig into that one. Looks interesting.....It's big too!:O

Bud

[Edited on 2-5-2006 by Bud]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-5-2006 at 01:13 PM

I can't imagine anyone who loves Baja, (the land, people ,sea,) would not enjoy Graham's books... They are great armchair adventure works for those times we Nomads are not on our own adventure in Baja!

It was nearly a quarter centuary ago when he did the great walk around Baja... and he's still energized to keep us entertained!

Baja Bernie

[*] posted on 2-5-2006 at 10:01 PM
David K

You neglected to post the above on your original thread on Grahams next book.

Edit was to change threat to the intended thread.

[Edited on 2-6-2006 by Baja Bernie]

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2006 at 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Baja Bernie
You neglected to post the above on your original threat on Grahams next book.

What/ which 'above'? Bonni's latest email? It was posted there and here the same day... look again.

Any other posts in this thread by me are responces to posts only found in this thread.

Baja Bernie

[*] posted on 2-6-2006 at 04:35 PM
This one David

It is directly above my last post on this thread. I just thougt it would go nicely on your thread--

Graham Mackintosh: 'Marooned' on Isla Angel de la Guarda

Quote:
David K - 2-5-2006 at 12:13
I can't imagine anyone who loves Baja, (the land, people ,sea,) would not enjoy Graham's books... They are great armchair adventure works for those times we Nomads are not on our own adventure in Baja!

It was nearly a quarter centuary ago when he did the great walk around Baja... and he's still energized to keep us entertained!

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2006 at 06:04 PM

Hi Bernie,
It was my responce to Bud's post here in your thread:

"Well, I'm half way through the desert place book right now.
I've been to the area he's in obove LA bay in a boat. And on most of the land. So, it's been very interesting to me. As far as I'm concerned it good to hear what his thoughts were during the process of going down the coast. I know some seem to not like his style of writing and all I have to say about that is....to each his own. So far he's held my interest pretty well. Still have a long way to though.

And Braulio, I got that suitcase book you suggested. As soon as I'm done with Grahams books I'll dig into that one. Looks interesting.....It's big too!

Bud"

If you think it is appropiate in my thread of Graham's and Bonni's messages, I suppose so ... ??

Please read my u2u reply to your u2u from early this morning... Gracias.

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.