BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Double Identity: Man Responsible For Evicting Punta Banda Seniors In 2000
BajaNews
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 2-8-2006 at 05:39 AM
Double Identity: Man Responsible For Evicting Punta Banda Seniors In 2000

http://www.10news.com/news/6821099/detail.html

February 7, 2006

SAN DIEGO -- 10News first started tracking Steven Carlos Pedroarena in 2002 just two years after the evictions at Punta Banda near Ensenada.

Pedroarena used the help of the Mexican military to make evictions.

"They seemed quite adamant about just taking the homes," said one retiree.

"This was our retirement home to spend our golden years," said another retiree.

10News Investigative Reporter Thom Jensen to Pedroarena: "Can you tell me what you had to do with Punta Banda?"

Pedroarena: "I'm busy right now."

Mexican law is clear. It states no Americans can own coastal property like Punta Banda. They can only lease it.

So how was an American citizen able to toss other Americans off of the Baja home sites with the help of the Mexican army?

During the course of its investigation, 10News discovered Pedroarena was born at Mercy Hospital in San Diego on July 4, 1951.

10News researchers also uncovered a 1955 newspaper article showing Pedroarena and his sister inherited the family's land in Punta Banda, Mexico, and an 1,800 acre ranch in Tecate, Mexico.

10News learned more about Pedroarena in U.S. bankruptcy court records.

Pedroarena filed bankruptcy and told a court trustee that he didn't own or control the Tecate ranch.

Trustee: "You never had any ownership interest or equity interest in it?"

Pendroarena: "Nothing."

He also said the Punta Bunda property had no value.

Ralph Nieders is listed as a creditor in the bankruptcy case.

"He always identified himself as the proprietor," Nieders said.

Now Pedroarena is charged with bribing Nieders to stay quiet about the Mexican properties and something much more serious.

"This guy has two different identities," Nieders told 10News.

Two identities, because according to a Mexican birth certificate that 10News obtained, Pedroarena was born in Mexico.

An affidavit signed by family members said the 54-year-old Pedroarena was born at home on the Tecate ranch and was named Esteban Carlos Pedroarena Toomey.

Jensen confronted Pedroarena: "We found two birth certificates for you. Do you go by Stevan or Esteban?"

Pedroarena did not respond.

It's the Mexican birth certificate that gives "Pedroarena Toomey" title to the expansive Tecate ranch and Punta Banda property.

Outside the federal courthouse, 10News once again tried to get a comment.

Jensen: "Are you an American citizen or a Mexican citizen? Mr. Pedroarena?"

Again, Pedroarena did not respond.

Financially, the Mexican citizen Pedroarena cleaned up when Americans were tossed off of his property. 10News discovered a check deposited to his account from a San Diego retiree to lease back his Punta Banda home.

Sources told 10News, "Esteban Pedroarena" received approximately $1 million in cash from the evicted retirees who leased their homes back.

10News also uncovered visas and passports for Pedroarena using his Mexican identity.
djh
Senior Nomad

Mood: Mellow fellow, plays a yellow cello...

[*] posted on 2-8-2006 at 02:02 PM
SLIME !

http://www.10news.com/news/6821099/detail.html

I suggest going to the website and actually watching the 10News video story.... (click on the video link) THIS story represents the worst kind of arrogance, lying, cheating, stealing, and self-interest.

Maybe time for "Guido" to pay Pedroarena a short visit!

Its all just stuff and some numbers.
A day spent sailing isn\'t deducted from one\'s life.
Peace, Love, and Music
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2006 at 02:11 PM

Scary stuff for sure.
Cant wait for the next installment tonight.

Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2006 at 03:24 PM

Guido? I grew up with him!

\"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men\" Plato
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2006 at 04:24 PM

GUILTY !!......:O
BOLABOUND
Junior Nomad

Mood: wish I was lost in deep BAJA

[*] posted on 2-9-2006 at 04:34 PM

Hang him by the balls:fire::fire::fire:!

[Edited on 2-9-2006 by BOLABOUND]
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2006 at 05:08 PM

Yes bolabound
Burnt huevos:biggrin:

bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2006 at 05:15 PM
This looked interesting too

The following is a link that I pulled off the page of Bajanews link.
I did not read any of it because I already live and own property here and at this stage of the game ignorance is bliss.
However, there have been so many questions about buying ejido land, etc here that I thought someone might find something to answer some of those questions.

http://www.stewart.com/international/international.htm

Scroll to the bottom of the page for more links

djh
Senior Nomad

Mood: Mellow fellow, plays a yellow cello...

[*] posted on 2-9-2006 at 09:11 PM

Yes, George, I believe you told me about Guido and a few of his buddies on our road trip to SR!

Maybe he owes you a favor or two? I'm sure the folks who got stiffed would love to speak with Guido about "negotiating" to settle up with Pedroarena??

:o

Its all just stuff and some numbers.
A day spent sailing isn\'t deducted from one\'s life.
Peace, Love, and Music
lizard lips
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2006 at 10:02 AM

What his parents did 54 years ago was against the law, plain and simple. How he has gained from this is another thing altogether. What has always concerened me is the owners of this property did not really come forward with the law suit until all of the properties were occupied with $500,000+ homes. Was Carlos Teran who developed Baja Beach and Tennis Club in colusion with these owners and knew full well what was coming? I think he knew and gained as a result---BIG TIME!

Will we ever get to the truth-NEVER. I was there that day when the military evicted those Americans. It is something I will never forget. Some of those people put everything they had for retirement into those homes and some are now living in trailer parks in Chula Vista. A far cry from the beautiful ocean views they once enjoyed. After working all their lives and investing in a property that was told to them that was secure is criminal and someone is responsible-but who? By the time this all gets sorted out it will be a little to late.

This should be a lesson for anyone who purchases anything in Mexico. Do your research, then do it again and again and if you feel it's too good to be true, it probably is.

Im sure God has a grand plan for those involved in this. He will make them ship captians that ground there vessels on a beach in Ensenada.

[Edited on 27/12/2005 by lizard lips]

BajaNews
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 8-15-2006 at 09:41 PM
'Man With Two Names' Strikes Again

http://www.10news.com/news/9685822/detail.html

Steven Pedroarena Took Her Inheritance, Sister Says

August 15, 2006

SAN DIEGO -- A ranch that was once the jewel of Tecate is vacant and on the brink of bankruptcy by the ranch?s owner.

A 10News investigation on Feb. 7, 2006, showed how Steven Pedroarena, his cousin, Don Phillips -- a Border Patrol agent -- and Robert Akins, CEO of Cymer Inc. have dual identities with birth certificates in Mexico and the U.S.

Now, a family member speaks out for the first time about how those dual identities were used against her.

?My brother just took over like a mad man,? said Leslie Pedroarena.

Leslie Pedroarena and her brother inherited the family?s expansive land holdings after their parents died in a plane crash.

The land holdings included coastal property and homes at Punta Banda, and the 1,600-acre Tecate ranch in Rancho San Valentin.

But Leslie Pedroarena said she recently learned her entire family used their Mexican identities to take her inheritance, which was a share of the ranch near Tecate.

It took a unanimous vote of the shareholders, not just Pedroarena, but also Akins, Phillips and their mothers using those Mexican identities to vote her out.

Documents filed at the courthouse in Tecate showed Phillips, Akins and Steven Pedroarena all gathered together in Mexico and signed their Mexican names to strip Leslie Pedroarena of her ownership in the family ranch.

Leslie Pedroarena said her brother threatened her to stay away from her childhood home.

"He came to my door and said, ?I have my ways. If you cross the Mexican border, I'm going to put you away for good,?" said Leslie Pedroarena.

She has decided to speak out to protect her holdings at Punta Banda Baja Coast for her children.

"And I'll tell you, after this whole thing is over, if he gets off, there isn?t a place I can hide,? said Leslie Pedroarena.

Right now, Steven Pedroarena is trying to sell of his sister?s land and homes at Punta Banda under his Mexican name, Esteban Carlos.

Leslie Pedroarena warns anyone thinking of buying the property to not do business with her brother.

Steven Pedroarena faces charges in the U.S. for allegedly bribing a creditor in a bankruptcy case.

He is not charged with any crimes using his alleged dual identities.

Akins and Phillips have not responded to 10News' requests for comments.
BajaNews
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 9-13-2006 at 03:51 PM
Steven Pedroarena Charged With Bribery, Bank Fraud, Tax Evasion

http://www.10news.com/news/9807643/detail.html

Not Guilty Plea For Man Accused Of Having Dual Identities

September 8, 2006

SAN DIEGO -- A federal grand jury handed up indictments Thursday against a man profiled by 10News investigators.

He is a man who allegedly used a dual identity to avoid taxes.

One birth certificate said he was born in Mexico, while another makes him a natural-born U.S. citizen, investigators said.

Now, these alleged double identities are at the center of an expanding federal criminal case.

Steven Pedroarena has never agreed to speak to 10News investigators about his alleged double identity and why he is accused of having birth certificates in Mexico and the U.S. with two different names.

Investors told 10News Pedroarena used his dual identities to allegedly rip them off.

"I never even knew of a Steven Pedroarena until he filed banktruptcy. At that point, I basically put two and two together that he had a false identity," said investor Ralph Nieders.

Pedroarena’s own sister said he used his dual identities to allegedly steal her inheritance.

“I tell you, after this whole thing is over, if he gets off, there isn’t any place I can hide,” said Leslie Pedroarena.

Now, federal prosecutors accused the Chula Vista man of using his double identities to avoid paying taxes.

An indictment handed up by a federal grand jury accused Steven Pedroarena of bribery, bank fraud and three counts of tax evasion.

Nieders said, "The whole purpose of using twin identities is to basically not pay taxes in the U.S."

Nieders said this case should serve notice to others leading double lives on both sides of the border.

"It sends out a clear signal that you can't hide behind false identities not to pay taxes,” added Nieders.

Pedroarena’s attorney, James Pokorny, said the charges were driven by others to hound his client into submission.

Pedroarena pleaded not guilty to the charges in federal court Friday.

A federal prosecutor said there may be more people who are using dual identities to evade the authorities.

"What we've heard since we started this investigation is word's gotten out that there are possibly other leads out there that we could lead. It's certainly something that's important to us that we will follow up if we find any credible leads," said Deputy U.S. Attorney Chris Tenorio.

Pedroarena's wife, Maria Del Carmen Pedroarena, is expected in court next week to face charges in the indictment.
baja829
Nomad

Mood: BAJA HAPPY

[*] posted on 9-22-2006 at 09:47 AM

Two points --
1) I remember looking at this land in the late 80s and falling in love with it, but with just a bit of questioning, found out that it had been in litigation since 1978 and was still in litigation -- so that was the end of that for me. Then the Courts ruled in 1998 and all hell broke lose.

2) No one seems to know or remember that 35 or so MEXICAN "owners" lost their home in this deal as well as the Americans. The press and rumors always seem to leave out a few tidbits.:
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2006 at 10:02 AM

Yeah, rumors seem to be spread endlessly on this topic. Even by Senior Nomads on this site ("M"'s post this week comes to mind). I think it does Mexico and all us that visit Mexico a huge dis-service and people should get the facts straight before posting.
QuePasaBaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2006 at 10:09 AM

Seems that there is a lot more of that going on than most people know.

Have a Baja Day

QuePasaBaja
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 8-19-2009 at 09:43 AM
Do you own it

Quote:
Originally posted by bajajudy
I did not read any of it because I already live and own property here and at this stage of the game ignorance is bliss.
However, there have been so many questions about buying ejido land, etc here that I thought someone might find something to answer some of those questions.

Some of the links are dead, but one did work... it was for Stewart Title.

http://www.stewart.com/international/articles/processflowdoc...

If you want to make sure YOU own the land... do Title through someone like this ...

You pay for what you get, and given some of the stories I have read about real estate problems of ownership, only a Title Policy would protect one. Be they Mexican Nationals or others buying property in Mexico.

I'm not in the business, but would seem very prudent when buying to add it to your overall costs to purchase your place in Mexico.

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2009 at 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by wessongroup
Quote:
Originally posted by bajajudy

Some of the links are dead, but one did work... it was for Stewart Title.

http://www.stewart.com/international/articles/processflowdoc...

If you want to make sure YOU own the land... do Title through someone like this ...

You pay for what you get, and given some of the stories I have read about real estate problems of ownership, only a Title Policy would protect one. Be they Mexican Nationals or others buying property in Mexico.

I'm not in the business, but would seem very prudent when buying to add it to your overall costs to purchase your place in Mexico.

Just went to the Stewart Title home page and found an example of what having a Title Insurance Policy can do for one... in Mexico when the "Trust" issue comes up...

http://stewart.com.mx/-ifeatured-topicibfeatured-topicsb

JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2009 at 10:18 AM

I wouldn´t trust Stewart or any other "title insurance" with a property. Those companies are just there to create a false sense of security for foreigners. The only way to go is to ask, hear from the locals, talk to the people, they will tell you who and what is a bad investment.

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2009 at 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JESSE
I wouldn´t trust Stewart or any other "title insurance" with a property. Those companies are just there to create a false sense of security for foreigners. The only way to go is to ask, hear from the locals, talk to the people, they will tell you who and what is a bad investment.

I'm not sure what factual information you would base the statement that a Title Insurance Company is only there to give a false sense of security...

Will those local's be able to factually establish chain of title? will their testimony (based on what they believer to be a "good" investment) hold up in a Court?

Basic due diligence on a property would include "independent verification" of the subject site and it's history of use. This history would be based on an investigation into the previous use for the past 50 years.. which would include aerial photograph review, San Born Maps, and any and all permits from any agency which would issue same for: building, fire, hazardous materials, geology, flood zone, water contamination, along with many other issues.... which YOU as the purchaser would be less than prudent not to include in your list of to do, prior to setting down and signing papers to transfer title .....
However, I do respect your right to express your opinion and to some degree understand your point. I agree, to not talk to people that "live there" would be foolish too... the more information gained the better one's ability to make an "informed decision" on the purchase of property in Mexico or anywhere.

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 8-19-2009 at 02:14 PM

Wessongroup, you need to read the FINE PRINT in the Stewart Title contracts to see what is exempt. I have heard that it is substantial.

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.