Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Insect stings and bites
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 2-9-2006 at 11:31 AM
Insect stings and bites

Since childhood have been stung and bitten numerous times with never any kind of reaction. This includes bees,wasps,black widows, our black spring bumblebees, scorpions and stingrays. Last summer I got stung on the wrist by a little honeybee and the following day my arm swelled up to make me look like Popey. After 3 days, it only got worse. Went to doctor and was told that I had an allergic reaction. Got Flanax against the swelling, which didn't seem to do much good. Than, about 3 weeks ago, I got stung again by the same kind of bee, and at about the same spot. Took my Flanax right away, but the following week the arm this time swelled up twice its size ,all the way from shoulder to fingers. And at the sting site I developed a 4 x 4 spot with huge blisters. The med book says to have a eprinephine shot to counteract the reaction, but haven't been able to find it. The pharmacist, after consulting with a doctor, gave me Celestone (Betametasone) with Cloro Trimeton pills for follow up. Hate like hell to get stung anywhere near my neck and have this stuff not work. Seems dangerous. So, the reason for this epistle is to see if any of you Nomads had a similar experience and maybe can give me some advice.:?::?::?::?:
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2006 at 11:45 AM

Vandenberg:

Check out the thread "Just a heads up reminder for us with children"

I had a real scare with my middle child. Info. for you there.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 2-9-2006 at 11:50 AM

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=11523#pid9083...

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2006 at 11:58 AM

Thanks Bruce, wish I could do that!
Dianamo
Nomad

Mood: ...still in Baja

puzzled.gif posted on 2-9-2006 at 12:18 PM
Soooo, Epi Pens

Can we get'em Baja farmacias?:?:
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2006 at 12:38 PM

Diana
Like I said Epi must be short for Epinephrine, and the pharmacist, here in Loreto ,had no idea what I was talking about. I need to know if this Celestone she gave me at the doctors advice, will be of any use.
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2006 at 12:40 PM

And Bruce, thanks for that thread referal.
Dianamo
Nomad

thumbup.gif posted on 2-9-2006 at 12:47 PM
Keep us posted on your recovery!

we hope that you are feeling much better soon! ......and thank you for letting us know what you find out about the Epinephrine pens.

Thanks,
Diana
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2006 at 01:40 PM

Van, see if any of your Mexican friends will part with or go get you some Guaco. It's a roadside weed that grows north of and south of La Paz (San Pedro por ejemplo). You just crush it, put it in a jar of Tequila or Mezcal, put it under the sink. INSTANT RELIEF for anything that gets you on the skin. Bitachis and avispas got me good, kicked my butt but now, No Worries with Guaco.
neilm
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2006 at 01:44 PM
do you...

put it on the sting, or in the patient, for that instant releif?

Neil

Quote:
Originally posted by Osprey
Van, see if any of your Mexican friends will part with or go get you some Guaco. It's a roadside weed that grows north of and south of La Paz (San Pedro por ejemplo). You just crush it, put it in a jar of Tequila or Mezcal, put it under the sink. INSTANT RELIEF for anything that gets you on the skin. Bitachis and avispas got me good, kicked my butt but now, No Worries with Guaco.
oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2006 at 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vandenberg

Like I said Epi must be short for Epinephrine, and the pharmacist, here in Loreto ,had no idea what I was talking about. I need to know if this Celestone she gave me at the doctors advice, will be of any use.

Epinephrine (adrenaline) actually reverses or blocks an allergic reaction and it's the only medication that will do so.

Histamine is the chemical that's released by the body's cells in response to an allergen ( stings, medications, foods etc) and histamine is responsible for most of the symptoms of an allergic reaction such as swelling, redness etc.

Anti- histamines like Benadryl will reduce the symptoms in mild to moderate allergic reactions and may be all that is needed to make you comfortable until the reaction subsides.

Anaphylaxis is life-threatening allergic reaction where the exposure to an allergen (shellfish, nuts, and stings are the biggies) results in the release of proteins and chemicals that cause generalized swelling and the severe dilation of blood vessels. That swelling (from the release of histamine) is what can make an airway close off to the point of complete obstruction. The overwhelming dilation of the body's arteries will result in extremely low blood pressure and inefficient delivery of blood and oxygen to the cells. Anaphylaxis is actually a type of Shock and has the same outcome as the Shock from severe blood loss- not enough blood volume or pressure to meet the body's needs.

Severe allergic reactions are treated with Epi to block the reaction, and then an anti-histamine to reduce symptoms such as swelling. Benadryl alone will not prevent the circulatory collapse of anaphylactic shock and it does not reverse an allergic reaction.

The Celestone you were given Vandenberg, is a type of steroid which will reduce inflammation- in your case the swelling which was caused by the release of all the histamine when you were stung. Celestone was an appropriate treatment for your inflammatory response, but it will not block an allergic reaction and it has no effect on the release of histamine.

Oladulce, R.N.
oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2006 at 03:23 PM

I found this article on the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology site:

9/28/05

Epinephrine auto injector availability
Summary
Background - Epinephrine auto injectors such as Epi Pen or Twinject are frequently prescribed to be carried by those with severe food allergies or other allergies with potential for anaphylactic reactions.

Findings - ... This group surveyed representatives of 39 countries who were members of the World Allergy Organization. They found that epinephrine auto injectors are widely available in the USA, Western Europe, Canada, Israel, South Africa and Australia.

Epinephrine auto injectors are not available in Bulgaria, Turkey, Russia, Egypt, Mexico, Argentina, Chile, Ecuador, Uruguay, Paraguay, Venezuela, China, Thailand, Vietnam, Philippines, Malaysia or Indonesia.

In some countries, only the adult dose Epi Pen is available. In some European countries, other epinephrine kits (not auto injectors) may be available.

Editor's Comments
It is not clear why epinephrine auto injectors are not available in some countries that have generally advanced medical facilities/systems (at least for those who can afford it). These findings should prompt physicians to alert their patients who carry epinephrine auto injectors to carry an extra supply of adequately dated units with them on any trip to countries that may have no or limited supplies available.
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2006 at 03:31 PM

Oladulce

Thanks. You have answered my question. Doesn't look like my case is one of anaphalyctic shock, so this Celestone should do the trick. Thanks again.
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2006 at 04:19 PM

EpiPen for adults - (Epinephrine) Auto-Injector 0.3mg

They are widely available in California with a doctor's prescription. Cost is minimal, and they are formulary drugs (covered by insurance) for both Kaiser Permanente and Medi-Care members. Do not refrigerate these devices, and be sure to check the expiration date - it is important here.

Seems to me they should become a part of any basic first aid kit. They save lives.:bounce:

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-9-2006 at 05:17 PM

My son has been stung too often and now will get a case of anaphylactic shock if stung by a bee. He has an 'epi pen' at school and home to self dose if he gets stung. I checked with a farmacia in Baja, and they have never heard of this... even searched their drug books... Benadryl only...

[Edited on 2-10-2006 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-10-2006 at 09:12 AM

Might just make a note here that it is a good idea to carry a bottle of Tea Tree Oil (Oil of Melaleuca alternifolia) with you when hiking or in your vehicle... The oil has been documented to neutrilize venom, as well as being a powerful antiseptic for cuts... A one ounce bottle is about $9 at many natural food/vitamin stores... Henry's, Sprouts, etc. There is a direct marketing company called Melaleuca Inc. that has many products containg tea tree oil, as well... The oil comes from the leaves of a specific variety of melaleuca tree in Australia.

It is a great treatment for sunburn, as well.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

longlegsinlapaz
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2006 at 09:13 AM
VANDENBERG

There's a lot of information on the internet about wasp, bee & insect stings/bites. Some of the sites are more detailed than others, just do a search for wasp or bee stings. For starters, you can go look at:

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2076.html

I've been stung by bees & wasps many times during my life time, always had a localized reaction...UNTIL I was stung by a small swarm of wasps out near La Ribera (sp?). I was stung several places on both hands & fingers, but one sting was directly into a vein on the back of my hand. It was late in the day & the only farmacia I could find was closed; thankfully I was able to find track down the owner & they sold me some strong oral antihistimine & a topical ointment; those two items saved my life! It was raining & what would have normally been an hour's drive back to La Paz took more than 6 hours because of the rain fillled arroyos. I was admitted to Fidipaz Hospital & kept on IV's for 24 hours. I started carrying Benedryl & Andantol in my car.

Approximately a year later, I was stung on the back of my tongue drinking from a can of iced tea...having the Benedryl with me & getting it into my system within 5 minutes of the sting saved my life...I got to Fidipaz Hospital within 45-60 minutes & was immediately put on IV's and kept on them for 24 hours.

A bee sting in my pool about 6-8 months ago resulted in a huge, but localized reaction for which I took Benedryl & used Andantol & monitored myself for light headedness & dizziness.

Everyone's reaction can be different, based on what nails you & how many times you've been stung, but with wasps, the reaction gets worse with each subsequent sting, even years apart. The information I've found on the internet says that bee stings aren't supposed to have that cumulative effect...but do bees read those kinda rules on the internet? :?:

A "home remedy" that I've found that works great for me personally is to put bleach on any bug bite site, it really minimizes my localized reaction for mosquito/ant bites; I think it neutralizes the toxin if you can get it on immediately.

I keep a bottle of Benedryl & a tube of Andantol both in my car & at home...but if it's a wasp sting, I self-dose & IMMEDIATELY head for the hospital.

Read up on it; better to be safe than sorry; it could save your life!

[Edited on 2-10-2006 by longlegsinlapaz]
Dianamo
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2006 at 10:09 AM
Tea Tree Oil

I have used Tea Tree Oil (Melaleuca alternifolia) for years! It is great. I just bought a new 2 oz. bottle at "The Politically Incorrect Big Box" store for $4.99. A bargain compared to what I have had to pay in the past. Hope I don't offend anyone by shopping there!:no:
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2006 at 12:01 PM

Nomads,
One more question. Does Benadryl come in different varieties and dosages?
In this case, which one is recommended ?
longlegsinlapaz
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2006 at 12:30 PM

I have two different bottles at the moment....one is actually Benadryl-D for children; active ingredient is Diphenhydramine hydrochloride 12.5 mg....recommended dosage for children 6 - 12 is 1 teaspoon....over 12 & adults is 2 teaspoons.

The other is a Rite Aid brand same active ingredient, same potency; the difference being that the adult dosage is 2-4 teaspoons.

I don't carry a spoon in the car, nor do I use one at home....I use the "swig" method!! I mark the level in the bottle between each use & take the bottle with me to ER so they know what I've got in my system already & how much. I would guesstimate that my "swig" is the equivalent of 4 teaspoons. I'm 5'10" & 160 pounds & that's worked to keep me alive twice; albeit in various stages of anaphalacic shock; to get to the hospital. To me, getting it in my body is more important than taking the time to get a teaspoon to accurately measure out a dosage! ;)
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.