Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Eyes and Ears of Baja
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

eureka.gif posted on 2-10-2006 at 06:08 PM
Eyes and Ears of Baja

One of the things that I have learned, living here in Baja, is that if you keep your eyes and ears open you will see the darnest stuff.

Last week in Guerrero Negro while walking my dog, I saw an osprey with a fish in his talons(for those of you who remember last year an osprey dropped a 2-3 pound flounder at my feet in the exact same place). This was a small fish, like a lisa or some sort of bait fish. I could hear the female in the nest calling for him. He landed on the nest and quite a arguement ensued. Then he left the nest with the fish still in his talons. Well, Eta and I decided to investigate, as I could not imagine what could be so horrible that it got kicked out of the nest. Eta and I waited for quite some time but the osprey just kept tearing at the little fish which must have been one tough fish and we finally gave up. I went to get Mochi for her walk and there was that osprey still pulling and tearing at this thing. Now I am thinking it is shoe leather. Finally he dropped what was left and it was the tail of a fish. I will never know what kind but I am pretty darned sure that I do not care to eat one.
I started this story to ask if anyone had any ideas what he could possibly have brought to the nest that mom would have refused.

Then two days later in La Paz RV park, we were sitting by the camper having our after the drive beer, when about 100 frigate birds flew over us. I have never seen so many frigates together.
About 5 minutes late a lone osprey flew by headed toward La Paz.

So keep your eyes and ears open but in the case of birds flying overhead, not your mouth.

Enjoy.

Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 2-10-2006 at 08:07 PM
Bajajudy

Most cleaver, cute and absotulately Baja!
Thanks for the closed mouth grin.

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
abreojos
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2006 at 08:14 PM

Great story and great avatars. I have uploaded mine. I can see it in the control pannel, but not in the post. Que pasa?

[Edited on 2-11-2006 by abreojos]
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 2-10-2006 at 08:35 PM
Love those frigates!

Bajajudy, I can?t for the life of me think of what that baitfish might have been. We have ospreys daily in front of our house taking lisa, mullet, etc. Never have I seen one take a fish that was refused. When and if you find out, please let us know. Interesting event, for sure. Gotta love those birds!

Frigates: Come to Mulege and park at the Y on a warm morning, say around 10-11 a.m. The Y is the intersection formed by the highway and the main entrance to downtown Mulege. Then find a comfy seat somewhere and look up in the sky. You will see literally hundreds of frigates rising on the thermals way, way up in the sky. The highest soarers are just specks. It is truly a remarkable and beautiful sight.

The sopalotes (buzzards) join in the action, also but the frigates (Man-of-War birds) are my favorite. They remind me of the prehistoric and huge Quetzalcoatlus. (I may have butchered that spelling. Bruce, can you help me out here?)

Frigates also point out the dorado at sea...a real fisherman?s buddy. If you spot one circling and suddenly swooping down..race over there and get your feather skipping to nail that dorado that is surely chasing those flying fish the frigate is going after too! It's a race between flying fish, dorado, frigate and fisherman.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 2-10-2006 at 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajajudy
One of the things that I have learned, living here in Baja, is that if you keep your eyes and ears open you will see the darnest stuff.

Last week in Guerrero Negro while walking my dog, I saw an osprey with a fish in his talons(for those of you who remember last year an osprey dropped a 2-3 pound flounder at my feet in the exact same place). This was a small fish, like a lisa or some sort of bait fish. I could hear the female in the nest calling for him. He landed on the nest and quite a arguement ensued. Then he left the nest with the fish still in his talons. Well, Eta and I decided to investigate, as I could not imagine what could be so horrible that it got kicked out of the nest. Eta and I waited for quite some time but the osprey just kept tearing at the little fish which must have been one tough fish and we finally gave up. I went to get Mochi for her walk and there was that osprey still pulling and tearing at this thing. Now I am thinking it is shoe leather. Finally he dropped what was left and it was the tail of a fish. I will never know what kind but I am pretty darned sure that I do not care to eat one.
I started this story to ask if anyone had any ideas what he could possibly have brought to the nest that mom would have refused.

Then two days later in La Paz RV park, we were sitting by the camper having our after the drive beer, when about 100 frigate birds flew over us. I have never seen so many frigates together.
About 5 minutes late a lone osprey flew by headed toward La Paz.

So keep your eyes and ears open but in the case of birds flying overhead, not your mouth.

Enjoy.

Judy,
I have a number of 8-10 inch rubber fish, do you think........:?:
Edit: These are silicon lures and I don't play with rubber fish:lol:

[Edited on 2-11-2006 by Al G]

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2006 at 07:50 AM

Judy; Could it have been 'Trigger fish" which has a very tough Skin/ Very good story.I have sat in At ancho Sonrisa many a morning and watched the Osprey hunting the Beach for all types of fish as well as a Snake or Two. There wqs one in Residence off to the Tip of Manadera Point for many years. Probably still there.

Skeet/Loreto
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 2-11-2006 at 10:00 AM

It would have to be a very small triggerfish, don't you think, Skeet? Those babies have a sharp barb that would surely inhibit the flight and water-shaking manuevers of the osprey. My bet is on Al G's rubber fish...and that brings up a whole new scenario, right, Al? I think I saw something about this on America's Most Wanted...or was it Amazing Home Videos?

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.