Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: New Twist on THE LIST
Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 2-15-2006 at 11:32 AM
New Twist on THE LIST

bajajudy started one of the most popular posts on the Baja Questions & Answers Forum titled "THE LIST" which was a list of what Nomads think should be taken to Baja.

Let's post the troubles Nomads have gotten into in Baja (or seen in others) by NOT having some item; any item, including knowledge.

I will start it off:
1. Unaccompanied vehicle 10 miles off pavement on a two track trail not on any map (Me!, wife, dog). Ball joint seperated. No spare. Could have walked out (Rule-never drive in alone further than you can walk out).

Used Sat phone to get 2 friends to bring part and knowledge from USA two day later. Total of three engineers failed to remove and replace ball joint. Sigh. :rolleyes:

Missing: Knowledge - even though we all thought we had it.
Probably unrealistic to carry the part. :(

Good: Ability to walk out and communications method (sat phone).:)

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 2-15-2006 at 11:40 AM

lots of food for thought there Neal thanks

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2006 at 12:54 PM

Murphy's law says you will never have the part with you when you need it. I always carry two spares. One is round and full of air and the second has two wheels and a motor.

TW
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 2-15-2006 at 01:37 PM

Neil Johns wrote this:

"Let's post the troubles Nomads have gotten into in Baja (or seen in others)... by NOT having some item; any item, including knowledge."

Knowledge - checklists for Baja: I broke the rules of bringing firearms into Baja...unknowingly, and luckily, unnoticed.

Many years ago, I had went through the US/Mexico border and all the Baja army checkpoints...twice...both coming and going within a nine-month time period. We never get checked very thoroughly by anyone, it seems. Guess we don't fit a 'profile', and then we always chat a bit with the youngsters.

Unpacking the rig that fall Up North, I came across a Browning U/O 12 ga. shotgun in the basement compartment of the 5th Wheel along with about 200 shotshells...left there when I was waterfowl hunting just before packing/leaving for Baja. I was one very lucky son-of-a-gun to stay out of a real tense situation.

Taught me a very good lesson about checking the rig before packing for Baja from the US.

Undeclared firearms..and without proper permits for Mexico.. are a real NO-NO. Gauranteed to ruin your vacation.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2006 at 04:33 PM

Neal can you still do the twist? Sounded like an invitation to dance to me.

All kidding aside, I am inclined to agree with the Murphy's law theory.
And as many have said in "The List" attitude is very important when things do go haywire. Remember, the difference between an adventure and an ordeal is attitude.
There is no way to carry everything you might need so try to keep yourself out of life threatening situations and when things go wrong try to roll with it(not literally)

Lets be safe out there!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.