Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Thanks Pompano
Lester

Mood: Smiley

[*] posted on 2-18-2006 at 12:29 PM
Thanks Pompano

Thank U for your response. I plan on going to Mulege this Spring or late Fall for a 2 week stay. I will be looking to buy a small house (or casa if u will) and retire. My initial thought was to rent a car in Loreto but with their so called conditional and optional charges I'm leery of what the final bill would look like. My next thought was to buy a car in the $200 USD range for my stay there but I don't know the legal ramifications of this. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Again-- Thank U for responding---Lester
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2006 at 12:37 PM

Lester: You might consider getting the Bus up to Mulege. You can walk al lover mulege with out too much effort!
If you are going to stay and need a car later on i would suggest a 4 wd Vehicle with room in the back for cargo. The very best Truck I had was a 93 Ford 4 wd with a stick and 6 cylinder.

Take your time and get a feel for theArea. You have the rest of your Life to enjoy

Skeet/Loreto
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 2-18-2006 at 01:09 PM

I think you could walk to Mulege faster than you would get here in a 200 dollar car. better take the bus.

good luck. look me up when you get here

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 2-18-2006 at 01:45 PM

Buying a junker to take into Baja (not the mainland where importation is required) is a gamble, it can break down on you. But it can be done and successfully, with luck. I know. I did it about 7-8 yrs ago. I was still living on the East coast but lucked out on an employer-paid confab in Newport. I took advantage of the situation and tacked on a 3-week vacation. I looked at the cost of hotels and rental cars in Baja and it didn't seem to be within my means. Luckily I had a mechanically inclined buddy up near Pismo and asked him to help me find a beater with reasonable odds of not leaving me in the middle of the Vizcaino. My sketchily conceived plan was to use it for the trip, then either sell it for cash sans title and report it stolen, donate it to an orphanage or something if I could get away with it or push come to shove (literally), watch it meet a fiery demise at the bottom of some convenient barranca and walk away with a tale of narrow escape.

Well, we found an old Ford Econoline van for $400 that needed only minor tinkering and christened it "The Ladybug" after the hand-painted "lawn maintence" (sic) sign on the side left by previous owners. I equipped it with a cot and scrounged camping supplies and headed South. I stopped in Huntington to say hi to Earl Robitaille and get some surf fishing advice and mentioned "the plan". As luck would have it, Earl's yerno had a housepainting bidness and could use just such a van. We struck a deal for if and when I made it back across.

The ladybug ran fine. I got as far as Bahia Concepcion and settled into a palapa at La Perla where the "Baja feeling" took hold. I stayed 10 days with no particular desire to go anywhere else or do much of anything but fish, snorkle, clam, lay in the hammock and sleep. When I had to go, I made it all the way back to HB, sold the van to Earl for $300 (I think) and he threw in a ride to LAX. I heard from him a few years ago and learned that Ladybug had performed yeoman service for a couple of years before going to that great yonque in the sky.

Three weeks of lodging and transportation in Baja for $100 plus gas is hard to beat. Right now in California, older used cars, particularly large ones, that won't smog anymore are very cheap (as long as you're leaving the state with them). How you dispose of them later may require some luck and/or imagination.

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 2-18-2006 at 02:11 PM

Your are welcome, Lester. I hope you find that cozy retirement home in Mulege that you are looking for. If you have not found one yet, give me shout and I will point you in the right direction...no charge...unless a cold one counts. Fortunately, I have friends in low places in Mulege!

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.