Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Dick Russell's Opinion
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2006 at 01:26 PM
Dick Russell's Opinion

As promised, I did ask Dick what he thought about the whale watching tours. He said that he truly believed that if the pangeros allowed the whales to come to them, there was no harm done to the whales and an enormous benefit realized for the cause of saving the whales. He also stated that he would never go back to Lopez Mateos because they do chase the whales there.
As for the quesion of what happened to make the whales trust the ones who had killed them, he had one word....Pachico, the gentleman in San Ignacio Lagoon, who was the first to ever pet a whale. He believes that they learned from him that people could be gentle.
His presentation was very interesting. He believes that the decrease in the number of whales arriving in the Baja lagoons is caused by global warming which is decreasing the number of planktons and thereby decreasing the amount of food available. He surmises that the whales may not be leaving the northern waters because they know that they are not strong enough to make the journey. While many claim that global warming is just another natural ocurrence, he claims that when we start seeing the sea level rising as significantly as it has in the past few years, it is time that we all sit up and take notice.
Wish you could have all been at our event where Dick spoke!

[Edited on 2-21-2006 by bajajudy]

bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2006 at 07:31 AM
No comments?

I thought that SOME of you would respond.:(

elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2006 at 08:05 AM

Thank you for asking Mr. Russell's opinion as it comes from a well informed position. I am not surprised at his response. Having read his book I was aware of his feelings towards the operators in Lopez Mateos. Sorry we did not make your event. Maybe next time.

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

Mood: Tengo Flojera

[*] posted on 2-28-2006 at 03:39 PM

interesting... you should post it on the bajanews thread

Thank You for posting, glad I looked around......Tomas
fdt
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Yeah, what if it all goes right

[*] posted on 2-28-2006 at 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajajudy
I thought that SOME of you would respond.:(

Last easter vacation we went to San Ignacio lagoon, stayed @ Kuyima and I thought it was a great experience. Do not know about the others like Ojo de Liebre or Lopez Mateos since this was my (our) first ever, but I feel that the Kuyima people are very professional and eco-conscious. I did not know about Pachico then and I have not read Dick Russel's book but was listening to him when he was w/Ted on Baja Talk Radio.
We are going back , will be there 3/18-20 since there is no escuela in M?xico on 20th and 21st.
I think every human should experience these encounters, regardless of age, our baby Sofia 3 years old at the time kissed a baby whale last year, what an experience.
Now I saw a map of the lagoon and Kuyima is closer to the whales than Pachico, because I do remember the long boat ride to get to where the whales are.
And as for the road to get there, oh well, just go slow.
Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-1-2006 at 12:24 PM

FDT...

Wait until your little girl goes to kindergarten and they talk about whales..
She can stand up and say "I kissed a baby whale!!"

Happened to my little girl last week, very special..can't immagine seeing something like that at that age..At 30 something it changed my life..can't wait to take my Son!

TT
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-1-2006 at 12:41 PM

TT
I have told so many of my friends those exact words....it will change your life. Last year two couples came from back east and touched whales. They were so happy and couldnt wait to get back home and tell everyone.
I still put it in the top 5 of things you HAVE to do in your life.

ursidae69
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-1-2006 at 01:25 PM

Sorry I missed this thread till now. It sounds like the book signing went well and I'm looking forward to reading his book, just got my order last week, thanks. :cool:
sneezerdog
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-1-2006 at 01:51 PM

Judy and the other four are? : )
fdt
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Yeah, what if it all goes right

[*] posted on 3-18-2006 at 06:54 AM
Darn, but oh well

Quote:
Originally posted by fdt
[We are going back , will be there 3/18-20 since there is no escuela in M?xico on 20th and 21st.

Had to CXL :( , but will be there 4/09-12 :bounce:
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-18-2006 at 12:17 PM

Sea levels have not risen... due to plate tectonics, some land is dropping!:o:light:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

turtleandtoad
Senior Nomad

Mood: Good if fishing

[*] posted on 3-18-2006 at 12:31 PM

If more people from the countries that still allow whaling would come over and pet/kiss the whales, maybe those countries would stop killing the whales for "research".

Mike & Robin; Full-Time RV\'ers
37\' Georgetown w/3 slides & 275 Watts of Solar Power
06 Taco TRD
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

To paraphrase Frank Lloyd Wright; I\'m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let\'s start with keyboards. -- Mike Dean
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2006 at 01:59 PM

DK, I will let you argue that with Dick. That is what he said.

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 3-18-2006 at 02:26 PM
Sea is a-rising??? The jury is still out------

We may never know, and you can argue both ways, the way I understand it.

In some places the sea seems to be receding (land rising?), and other places the sea is encroaching (land falling?, sea rising?) Glaciers melt, and glaciers form, all changing the amount of liquid water on the earth. It is quite complex.

We DO know that temps are rising right now, but then that has happened many times in the past. They may start dropping, tomorrow. Change is inevitable----the geologic evidence "history" of the planet proves that. The earth may change it's axis, too, totally messing up all theories, and in fact there is evidence to support that it has done just that several times. Ice ages, tropical hot zones-----what is next?

The one big question is, "what is causing it". We really do not know that, for sure, either. We can only speculate, and continue doing the Science, hopefully getting a better and better handle on it.

As individuals, it seems to me, folks just grab on to what they want to believe, and just run with it, to prove whatever point they are trying to make. I wish I was so sure. I'm not.

I tend to believe that "man" probably does not really effect these humongous forces to much, if at all.

But what do I know????
neilm
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2006 at 04:51 PM
I'm a little confused......

Can someone clarify this?

Quote:
Originally posted by bajajudy
He believes that the decrease in the number of whales arriving in the Baja lagoons is caused by global warming which is decreasing the number of planktons and thereby decreasing the amount of food available. [Edited on 2-21-2006 by bajajudy]

Didn't I just read:

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajame

The guides said that the whales are returning in record numbers this year.

just a little confused.. more whales or fewer?

Neil
Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2006 at 12:25 PM

WOW...as I sat on the boat at work yesterday(sea urchin diving), I have never seen so many gray whales in a day,easily over 100, I wondered how many of them had made human contact in on e of the wonderful Baja lagoons?? I will never know...
They are beutiful creatures!!
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2006 at 09:36 AM

More opinions on global warming...first hand, I would say.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11951694/

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 3-22-2006 at 10:49 AM
Judy-------

Again, GLOBAL WARMING IS HAPPENING--------it is what is causing it that is in question.

That is a very interesting article, and thanks for posting it.
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2006 at 11:02 AM

THE SKY IS FALLING, THE SKY IS FALLING!

TOOOOOO MANY PEOPLE IN THE WORLD. PERIOD! Got any suggestions to change that, perhaps nuclear war? that shoud thin us out a little for the next species...

capt. g

barry check out thread on pseudo police i explain myself...

\"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men\" Plato
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2006 at 11:14 AM

Well I was talking with someone the other night who was discussing the history of the earth and how over the millions of years, it has warmed and cooled. How Chicago used to be an iceburg. The problem that he sees is that the trend now should be toward cooling not warming(we are talking 20,000 years here not exactly current events)
It certainly could be just that, a trend, but on the other hand is could be the rapid rate at which we are consuming natural resources, some un renewable. George, a nuclear war would do the trick and over population is certainly a factor. No argument there.

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.