BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Wild central Baja weather?
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 2-23-2006 at 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Phil S
6 a.m. this morning, outside thermometer says 50 degrees???????????????
Brrrrrr. Plugged the portable electric heater in bedroom. Watch the meter spin!!!!!!!!!!! Got to come up with a 'reasonable' heating system for this cold cement block 2 story 1,500 sq. ft. house. Someone talked pellet stove recently. Was that on the Nomads? Seen them in operation at fairs in Oregon. Guess I could go out and pickup rabbit pellets if I were to run out of store bought fuel. I doubt if there are any outlets in Baja. Would have to bring down the bags every trip I'd be returning here. Oh well. Long term forecast for Loreto says next week will be in the mid 70's. Yahooooo*(not to be confused by that search engine company)

better to spend your money on insulation and weather striping your doors and windows. you wont need heat when the temp. drops to 40 or lower.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 2-23-2006 at 08:08 AM
Phil S...for those cold mornings in Baja.

We use these types in our frontroom and bedrooms to take the chill off these 'crisp mornings' in lower Baja. (Are we spoiled or what? The 'crisp mornings' where I grew up were 50 degrees below zero and it was SO WINDY my dogs had to back up to bark!)

These units are easy to install, run on propane, have thermostat settings, remote controls, safey shut-off features, and will heat a large area.

Dogs are an alternative foot-warmer.

[Edited on 2-23-2006 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2006 at 08:22 AM

Pompano is that unit vented to the outside or dose it just keep pumping out the carbon monoxide

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2006 at 08:36 AM

Bruce...of course..vented to the outside. Suicide types can do otherwise, I suppose.

Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2006 at 11:11 AM

Pomp, Bruce.....I will be in your area about 2nd. week in March....Look for a green 4Runner, Wa. state plates.....tall dark haired woman, shorter (12yr. old) blond boy......Stop and say hi!
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2006 at 11:15 AM

Debra..will do if we see you and please do the same. Km 107-108 Coyote Bay. Mi casa es su casa. All are welcome. Watch out that my wife does not try to shanghai your boy...she is missing our grandchildren immensely.

Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2006 at 11:25 AM

Bruce: A small Electric "Cowbarn Heater' is all that Virginia and I found necessary at Rancho Sonrisa we used it only in the Bathroom and Bedroom.
You can get them all over for about $30.00/

We never recorded less that 48 Degrees in Loreto{not including wind chill factor}

Sket
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2006 at 11:43 AM

Skeet...we had early morning freezing temps at Pta. Chivato in 1983 five days in a row. The ice was in the pans every morning just before dawn. The Tres Virgenes had snow on the peaks. A local butcher in Sta. Rosalia told me that was the first time since the late 40's that he had seen snow on those mountains.

Several times since then the farmlands upriver from Mulege have suffered frostbite...just a few weeks ago, in fact. Hey, it gets cold here!!

Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2006 at 12:03 PM

Pomp; I went thru when the snow was on the Mountains at Tre Virgenes and the Bay of Los Angeles.

We are having another record , no snow , no ainin the Texas Panhandle. It has bee 75 years since we have gone with out 10 inches of Rain. Weather is changing everywhere.
Pomp; Have youheard any rumors about the Capped Wells upat Los Virgenes. ??

Skeet
bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2006 at 01:20 PM

We camped out at Laguna Chapala last December and pots full of water were topped with a surprisingly sturdy layer of ice in the morning.

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2006 at 01:47 PM

My dog, Eta, just came in and told me that it was 72 on my porch with wind of 5 mph gusting to 10 out of the NE.
She also told me that she thought that winter was over as she is losing her winter undercoat(all over the house, I would add). She mentioned that she was glad that she had that winter coat when we were in Loreto the end of January as it was cold there then.
I will also add that she has been snubbed by those Westchester Dog people and will have nothing to do with them.
When we went by Tres Virgenes around the first of Feb there was so much fog(coming from the Pacific side) rolling in that you could not see even one virgin.

BajaVida
Senior Nomad

Mood: muy cool

[*] posted on 2-24-2006 at 12:30 AM
getting back to my original question--how is the weather now?

No se apure y dure.

Don\'t hurry and you\'ll last longer.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2006 at 03:52 AM
How is the weather?

BajaVida..here's a local weather report for you...from Bay of Conception, but it changes all over central and southern Baja. Just ask Capt. George over there on the damp, cold Pacific coast! Hope this will helps.

Friday, Feb 24, 2006

Coyote Bay, BCS, Mexico:

Current conditions 4:30 a.m. Mountain Time:
62 degrees
precipitation in 24hrs - trace
Clear skies..flying visibility unlimited
No wind (yet)

If interested, here is today's local forecast:

Temps - highs 73-75 lows to 53
moonrise 3:28 a.m. - moonset 1:42 p.m.
sunrise 6:58 - sunset 6:26
winds N 10-15 diminishing later today
seas 2-3ft diminishing to 1ft later today
tides - low (1.88ft) 1:40 high 10:50 p.m

Here is a photo of Coyote Bay taken at 8:00 a.m. today Fri 24, 2006

[Edited on 2-24-2006 by Pompano]

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2006 at 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
Bruce...of course..vented to the outside. Suicide types can do otherwise, I suppose.

good deal Pompano this is so important. you would be surprised how many people I have visited that have unvented heaters.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 2-24-2006 at 09:17 AM

Years ago, I had an 11 ft. overhead camper,that came with a catalyctic space heater ( propane ) and it was not vented. Came factory installed and seemed legal. Never used it , since I bought it solely for hauling stuff to Baja after I gutted it.
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2006 at 12:02 PM

Pompana: Thanks for the invite, we will stop by for a "howdy"

(about that wife of yours "shanghaing" my boy, will she keep him until he is through collage?) he will work for food! :lol:
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2006 at 05:59 PM
Debra..might as well have him join the crew below..

She will keep him warm and fed along with this foursome.

(BTW...The weather here in Coyote Bay is very, very nice. The sun is just setting over the peaks behind us and the peninsula mountains across the bay are showing some nice colors.)

Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2006 at 08:03 PM

UH, OH.....blond little girls! WARNING, WARNING! All little girls fall in love with Brendan....thing is, he still only thinks of them as little ones to baby, like he does his niece......and PUPPIES TO BOOT?! I may have to pry him away! :O

Can't wait, as I said, I need some drying out! Thanks again, see you soon.
Keri
Super Nomad

Mood: muy contento

[*] posted on 2-25-2006 at 11:43 AM
Pompano, Where did you get that heater ?

Mike and I are looking for some for the hotel and for us for our trailer. Cost? Better than those 5 gal bottles with the contraption on top? How thick our they 6in or so from the wall or more? Thanks in advance for your reply. k

http://www.pyramidresort.com
011521-646-119-9445
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.