Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Trip Report '06
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2006 at 06:19 PM
Trip Report '06

Here's a quick report on some of the places we camped and ate along the way.

We crossed at Tecate' and loved the mellow crossing into a nice, peaceful Baja town. The Potrero County Park campground is about 6-8 miles from the border and has full hook-ups, nice showers and a treed, park-like setting for $16.

We hit El Pabellon in San Quinton twice and found the showers clean and hot, the hedgerows great for some privacy and on-the-beach access for $5.
This is the red Pabellon not the green one to the north. It is the old park which is being re-opened bu not seeing much business yet. We have stayed at Gypsies in the past and eaten at Ceilito Linda. Gypsies is still not right on the beach and the restaurant is hit or miss.

We stayed at Daggetts in Bahia de LA and ate at Raquel and Larry's. I wouldn't recommend either. Daggets is expensive and has only sometimes-hot showers with no ambiance. Raquel is a sweethart but the food was fair, at best. Larry is a good source of local info if you can catch him sober.

We stayed at El Padrita in San Ignacio and ate at the restaurant twice. Better than average food, hot showers, quiet and walking distance to town. We like it much better than Rice and Beans (on the road).

And did I mention the panadaria in Santa Rosalia ? I filled two bags this year on the way south. That doesn't include the wife and kids bags.

El Requeson is still my favorite for Bahia Concepction area (please don't tell anyone else). The whole area was particularly crowded this year but still room for everyone.
As always, we met some very nice folks to hang with and shared some great dinners and campfires.

Manfred's in Cuidad is no longer owned/run by Manfred. They new Mexican owners have a few projects (like re-tiling the pool) underway but the power outlets to some spaces still don't work. All in all a clean, safe place to stop with full hook-ups, nice bathrooms and drinkable water from the taps. Make a point of stopping at SUPERAMERICA in Cuidad. It's a grocery/housewares store with some great things and prices you haven't seen in a while.

We spent a day in La Paz shopping and had our customary lunch at La Perla. Over the years, the place has lost a bit of it's shine and glory. The waiters are locals, not the old crowd and the place need a good cleaning. Food was still pretty good though and the sidewalk people-watching was good, as usual. La Paz is a great place to shop if you've never. You can find almost anything within 4-6 blocks of La Perla and don't miss the shops a few blocks off the Malecon where the locals shop.

La Ventana is still the largest fenced-in gringo enclave in Baja. Most of the old hippy windsurfers are now over 50 and have campers with solar panels. Even if you don't sail or kite, this is a great place to hang with your fellow baja man. Lot's of active folks and always something to do. Full service food, purified water and propane delivered directly to your site.... clean bathrooms and cool showers.

We found the roads to be the same or better than previous years. The same old white knuckles for the first part of the trip and that relaxed, one-handed driving on the way home.
Pemex in Catavinia was still closed, The one in Bahia de LA is open but takes siesta off. All the others were open and had gas/diesel.
The worst part of the road is the 5 or so miles into and out of San Ignacio; someone's mexican brother-in-law peeed off the wrong people.
Look out for Topas in all the wrong places !
The Federale stops were the same. They looked in the camper at a few stops but were all nice enough.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 2-24-2006 at 06:24 PM

great to hear you had an awesome trip.

Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2006 at 06:33 PM

Yes, yes !

We did have an AWSOME trip; aren't they all !?!?
This trip was actually better than most, just a few weeks too short!
Like I told my wife, "Even the mishaps are fun adventures in Baja".
More on the fun later.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 2-25-2006 at 08:05 AM

Diver- does "superamerica" have major appliances and furniture? how long to drive there from mulege? in a smallish SUV. would they deliver do you suppose?

where is that larger dept. store in STE rosalia with new and used durable goods? down from the st francis??

i missed it last time thru with an amiga de mulege.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-25-2006 at 08:53 AM

No major appliances at SuperAmerica. Mostly household goods with a few groceries. Did you know that they make those little metal BBQ tongues in 5 different sizes ? They have bowls from glass to plastic to pottery in any size and color; childrens toys, pottery, small farm goods, cooking ware, etc.

There is a major appliance store on the main drag but I've never shopped there; I think there are at least two in town. Cuidad has it all; it's a real working city for real working people.
Saturday when the masses take the busses into town to shop is always a great experience. Similar to La Paz, but much different people.

I vaguely recall an appliance store in St Rosalia but can't remember where. Can't they order you what you need at the Ferretaria in Mulege'?
If you're buying 3 or 4 appliances you might want to bite the bullet and head for La Paz for a better selection.
Frank
Senior Nomad

Mood: Is it time to leave yet?

[*] posted on 2-25-2006 at 11:15 AM

Ahh thanks Diver. Reading your trip reports makes me know I'm not taking my time and seeing all of the sights. I need to slow down and take more time on my next trips. Thanks, Frank
oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-25-2006 at 05:07 PM

Enjoying the mini-series Diver.
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-25-2006 at 06:14 PM

Whoa, Diver
I just love bbq-ed tongue.

Kidding aside. Glad that you had such an awesome trip. Our last road trip was all work and no play;ergo, the lack of trip report from me. Didnt even get to camp on the beach one night.

I am living vacariously through yours!

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 2-25-2006 at 07:12 PM

Diver come back anytime people like you are a pleasure to have in our country.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.