Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Mexican Meatball Soup! Update 10-10-09
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-25-2006 at 06:38 PM
Mexican Meatball Soup! Update 10-10-09

This recipe came from the Food Section in the SD Union Tribune and I made it today. This is called ALBONDIGAS Soup with Rice and Cilantro in Mexico. If you have never tried this you must make it - you will drool with pleasure.

6 to 8 main-course servings

2 tablespoons olive oil (I used garlic olive oil)
2-3/4 cups chopped onion (divided use)
4 garlic cloves, minced (divided use) ((I used more!!))
2 small bay leaves
4 each 14-1/2 ounce cans beef broth
1 (28 ounce or two 14-1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes in juice
1/2 cup chunky tomato salsa (I used a little more)
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro (divided use) ((I used a little more))
1 pound lean ground beef
1/4 pound bulk pork sausage (I used hot Italian and a little more than 1/4 pound)
6 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
1/4 cup whole milk
1 large egg (I used two)
1/4 teaspoon salt (I used garlic salt)
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper (I used garlic pepper)
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 cup long-grain white rice

Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add 1-3/4 cups onions, 2 garlic cloves and bay leaves; saute 5 minutes. Add broth, tomatoes with juices, salsa and 1/4 cup cilantro; bring to boil. Cover; simmer 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, combine beef, sausage, cornmeal, whole milk, egg, salt, pepper and cumin, then remaining 1 cup onions, 2 garlic cloves and 1/4 cup cilantro in a bowl. Mix well. Shape mixture into 1 to 1-1/4 inch meatballs. (mine turned into 2" meatballs)

Add rice and meatballs to soup and bring to boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until rice is tender and meatballs are cooked, stirring occasionally, about 1/2 hour. Season with salt and pepper. Ladle into bowls and serve!
:yes::bounce::yes:
Bob H

[Edited on 10-10-2009 by Bob H]
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 2-25-2006 at 06:55 PM

yea Bob . a lot of people don't realize that this is a very common Mexican dish. Edith makes it about twice a month and it is very good.

her recipe is very similar to the one you posted above

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-25-2006 at 07:05 PM

I like to brown the meatballs in the oil and then set aside.
They seem to hold together better later and you get some of that good flavoring stuff on the bottom of the pan.

Sometimes we have it poured over a tasty slab of cornbread; yummmeee !!
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-25-2006 at 08:55 PM

Thanks for the recipe. I love that soup.
Diver..over cornbread....Y'all be careful what you eat up there!
I do like mine with tortillas de maiz. Hey Corn is Corn.

pacside
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-25-2006 at 09:53 PM

I have a wonderful lady who helps watche the toddler and makes the best mexican dishes. She is from guadalahara. She puts the rice in the meatballs and the broth...and to keep it a bit more healthy she makes it with lean ground turkey.
Pacside
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 2-26-2006 at 06:10 AM

another example of why mexicans never get colds....i get this locally in phx at a great restaurant so cheap by the quart, i would never have to go to the trouble of actually making it....whenever i get a slight cold or flu symptoms....cured in 36 hours.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 2-26-2006 at 06:32 AM

Thanks to all for these mouth-watering meatball soup posts...I love it, too, although I leave out the cilantro and rice. Never could understand the craving after cilantro? I have plenty of bad tasting shrubs I would rather eat.;D
And rice is....rice.

capt. mike..you must be living on another planet! All the folks in Mulege take turns having colds....achooo! is the local salute.

For a great sight, stop at Pancho's store at the Y and see him in his winter overcoat, muffler, and stocking cap. He is a priceless photo-op, amongst a cast of hundreds.

[Edited on 2-26-2006 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

Mood: words cannot describe...

[*] posted on 2-26-2006 at 07:40 AM

I don't think a Mexican would use beef broth - from a can. You can't even buy canned broth in Mexico (at least I've never seen it). If you really want it be a healthy dish, make your own broth. I know - PIA. Do you know how much sodium is in canned broth? About twice your RDA! OK, so at least use the reduced sodium broth! Anyway, here is another Sopa de Albondigas Soup which we enjoy mucho, from Cooking Light:

Meatball Soup (Sopa de Alb?ndigas)
From

In Mexico, alb?ndigas (meatballs) are sometimes made with rice used as the binding agent. Other times, rice is in the soup.

2 teaspoons coriander seeds
1 1/2 teaspoons cumin seeds
4 whole cloves
1 (3-inch) cinnamon stick, broken
1/2 cup uncooked long-grain white rice
2 tablespoons grated fresh onion
3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
1 pound ground round
1 large egg white
1 garlic clove, minced
Cooking spray
3 cups chopped green cabbage
2 cups chopped onion
1 cup sliced carrot
1/2 cup chopped celery
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 1/2 tablespoons drained chopped chipotle chile in adobo sauce
2 (14-ounce) cans fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
1 (14.5-ounce) can fire-roasted whole tomatoes, undrained and chopped (such as Muir Glen)
1 1/2 cups cubed peeled baking potato

Cook the coriander seeds and the cumin seeds in a large Dutch oven over medium heat 1 minute or until toasted and fragrant. Place the toasted spices, cloves, and cinnamon in a spice or coffee grinder; process until finely ground.
Combine 2 teaspoons cinnamon mixture, rice, grated onion, 1/2 teaspoon salt, beef, egg white, and garlic in a large bowl; set remaining cinnamon mixture aside. Shape beef mixture into 24 (1-inch) meatballs.

Heat pan over medium heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add cabbage, chopped onion, carrot, and celery to pan; cook 8 minutes, stirring frequently. Add remaining cinnamon mixture, chili powder, and chipotle; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in 1/4 teaspoon salt, broth, and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer. Add meatballs; cover and cook 15 minutes. Add potato; cook, uncovered, over medium heat 20 minutes or until potato is tender.

Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 2/3 cups)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 330(34% from fat); FAT 12.4g (sat 4.6g,mono 5.2g,poly 0.6g); PROTEIN 20.6g; CHOLESTEROL 51mg; CALCIUM 97mg; SODIUM 780mg; FIBER 4.9g; IRON 4mg; CARBOHYDRATE 34.5g

Lorrie Hulston Corvin
Cooking Light, OCTOBER 2004

Bon Appetit!
The Sculpin
Nomad

Mood: Riding into the Sunset, looking for a sunrise.

[*] posted on 2-26-2006 at 07:56 AM

This is tooooo funny! We made this recipe last night and it was great! We also substituted turkey for beef, and used chicken broth instead of beef. The broth salts the dish just fine. Served up in a bowl with a dollop of sour cream and warm corn torts, and it was to die for. Next time, we'll add a poblano with the onions, and avocado wedges upon serving.

Too cool.....
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2006 at 08:23 AM

When we got home from the hospital with our first child, one of our best friends had stoked the house with edible goodies.
She prepared a round plate with avacado slices and grapefruit wedges alternated all around.
I still love this as a "cool" side dish to many "hot" meals.
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2006 at 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabound2005

1 garlic clove, minced

Bon Appetit!

ONE garlic clove? What?
bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2006 at 10:57 AM

Okay, one VERY LARGE garlic clove!
chino
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-27-2006 at 04:52 PM

we have a similar recipie that uses pescado meatballs, using a meat grinder, the meatballs are fried first so I dont think the health nuts would sanction them!
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-27-2006 at 05:20 PM

Chino
There is a restaurant in La Paz, La Costa, that makes the best albondigas de pescado in the world. They must make them to order because the fish tastes so fresh.
If you are in La Paz and dont feel like cooking them yourself, I highly recommend them.

elizabeth
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-27-2006 at 05:24 PM

It is freezing cold (o.k. 50 something) and windy and rainy here today. Just reading this thread made me crave sopa de albondigas...so, I'm making it for dinner tonight. I learned to make the meatballs with 1/2 beef and 1/2 pork with half cooked rice as the binder (none in the soup). Not traditional, but really tasty is to use 3/4 beef and 1/4 chorizo.
chino
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-27-2006 at 10:25 PM

bajajudy, sounds like I could add La Costa to my list of reasons to go back, Thanks
bajazonie

[*] posted on 6-14-2006 at 04:37 PM

Tried BobH's recipe last weekend. I've never even tried Albondigas soup before...I didn't know what I was missing!!

Very easy and loads of flavor!!:bounce:

My wife wants to know when I'm going to make it again!
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2006 at 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajazonie
Tried BobH's recipe last weekend. I've never even tried Albondigas soup before...I didn't know what I was missing!!

Very easy and loads of flavor!!:bounce:

My wife wants to know when I'm going to make it again!

Zonie... thanks for bringing this thread back up. I will be making this on Friday but adding the Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce to my recipe. It just sounds so good!!
This is just the best tasing soup EVER!
Bob H
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2006 at 08:05 PM

Bob, you sound like me.......no such thing as too much garlic!
bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2006 at 08:24 PM

We, too are glad to this reappear, especially with the mention of chipotle! We are totally absorbed into Rick Bayless' cookbooks and he has a recipe for a tortilla soup with chiitake mushrooms (I know, not very Mexican!) and chipotle and goat cheese. It sounds DIVINE and we plan to make it in the next few days. Oops, that Tortilla Soup, not meatball soup! Oh, well, I'll make it anyway and put in a "review"!
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.