Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Mexican Meatball Soup! Update 10-10-09
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2006 at 04:58 PM

OK, I made a new batch this afternoon and just finished a bowl of it. Yummeeeeeeee! I added the Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce (it comes in a 7-oz can). Then I looked again at Bajabound's recipe and it called for only 1-1/2 teaspoons of DRAINED chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. I had the entire can (not drained) floating around in the brew for about 15 minutes. I fished out the peppers and set them aside. And, I must tell you, that the flavor that remained after everything was done is incredible. Spicey hot but only the first slurp gets you a little bit. Next time I will only use 1/3 of the can. My lips are tingling a bit and my sinuses are CLEAR! Yeeeeeeeeee Haaaaaaaaawwwwhhhh! Gotta get another bowl full.
Later,
Bob H:fire::fire::fire::biggrin:
Keri
Super Nomad

Mood: muy contento

[*] posted on 6-17-2006 at 06:20 PM
Bob , next time your around Maganas

on a Monday try Nellie's albondigas soup. Its fantastic. She has it every Monday night. That's my recipe and I'm sticking to it,k:spingrin::rolleyes:

http://www.pyramidresort.com
011521-646-119-9445
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2006 at 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Keri
on a Monday try Nellie's albondigas soup. Its fantastic. She has it every Monday night. That's my recipe and I'm sticking to it,k:spingrin::rolleyes:

Keri, Where is Maganas located?

I tried some leftover albondigas soup today - why does the leftovers always taste a little bit better? WOW.
Keri
Super Nomad

Mood: muy contento

[*] posted on 6-24-2006 at 06:33 PM
Magana's Tacos in La Mision

on the old road just before the bridge. Try it you will love her albondigas, only on Monday nights. Also have a machaca burrito, I get mine sin huevos. Yeah I guess I have to mention her home made cakes also. Tres Leche and pinapple upside down cake to die for. Again the best. Enjoy,k:yes:;D:yes:

[Edited on 6-25-2006 by Keri]

http://www.pyramidresort.com
011521-646-119-9445
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2006 at 06:48 PM

Had some leftovers again tonight. UNREAL. It just gets better and better as it sits and ferments. My head is CLEAR again! WOW! This is good stuff!
Bob H
baja829
Nomad

Mood: BAJA HAPPY

[*] posted on 9-22-2006 at 11:57 AM

ADD ONE MORE INGREDIENT AND YOU WILL BE AMAZED. I lived in the South of Mexico many years ago and also am a follower of Diana Kennedy's cookbooks and cooking. Thanks to her I make perfect rice among other things, but true Albondigas must include MINT. Put dried (better than fresh, for this soup) mint leaves in the meatballs and sprinkle some in the broth.

I also grate green or yellow squash in the meatball mixture. When the soup is all but done, I slice more squash on top of soup (al dente) and serve. Great taste. This is how it's cooked in Michoacan and D.F.
Bajamatic
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2006 at 08:56 PM

made this last night. SOOO good.

yuletide
chino
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2006 at 08:29 AM

Wow!, Thanx for the recipies. Winter's comming and other than a few short Baja junkets we have to suck it up and winter in the woods, so the recipies will help put the cold days behind, Baja indoors will have to do!
kellychapman
Nomad

Mood: heavenly

[*] posted on 9-29-2006 at 11:23 AM

I am a soup lover.....could not live without them with my digestive system....my tip of the day is I always add several cans of V8 to enrich the flavor, I love clamato but is filled with monosodium glut. which is not good..but use it often anyway....and 1 can of enchilada sauce is killer to give you a rich a savory broth.....also brown the meatballs to give a good flavor in the pan before you start preparing the soup.....yummmmy....and polzole is out of this world if anyone wants to know I will post....I can't read the directions on the can, but somehow managed to make one of of the best ever eaten....and of course there is a rich red clam chowder....on and on as far as soups...since I do not fish and take care of dear ol' mom I spend most of my time cooking.....it is a wonder I am not a big as a pickle barrel, but since I make healthy soups I am blessed...
Kelly
Bajagypsy
Super Nomad

Mood: Living the dream

[*] posted on 10-1-2006 at 01:31 PM

Just made some of this wonderful soup, it is very good, and very filling. Thanx for the wonderful reciepe. I now know what I'll be making when it is 40 below here this winter.:biggrin:
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2009 at 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
This recipe came from the Food Section in the SD Union Tribune and I made it today. This is called ALBONDIGAS Soup with Rice and Cilantro in Mexico. If you have never tried this you must make it - you will drool with pleasure.

6 to 8 main-course servings

2 tablespoons olive oil (I used garlic olive oil)
2-3/4 cups chopped onion (divided use)
4 garlic cloves, minced (divided use) ((I used more!!))
2 small bay leaves
4 each 14-1/2 ounce cans beef broth
1 (28 ounce or two 14-1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes in juice
1/2 cup chunky tomato salsa (I used a little more)
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro (divided use) ((I used a little more))
1 pound lean ground beef
1/4 pound bulk pork sausage (I used hot Italian and a little more than 1/4 pound)
6 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
1/4 cup whole milk
1 large egg (I used two)
1/4 teaspoon salt (I used garlic salt)
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper (I used garlic pepper)
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 cup long-grain white rice

Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add 1-3/4 cups onions, 2 garlic cloves and bay leaves; saute 5 minutes. Add broth, tomatoes with juices, salsa and 1/4 cup cilantro; bring to boil. Cover; simmer 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, combine beef, sausage, cornmeal, whole milk, egg, salt, pepper and cumin, then remaining 1 cup onions, 2 garlic cloves and 1/4 cup cilantro in a bowl. Mix well. Shape mixture into 1 to 1-1/4 inch meatballs. (mine turned into 2" meatballs)

Add rice and meatballs to soup and bring to boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until rice is tender and meatballs are cooked, stirring occasionally, about 1/2 hour. Season with salt and pepper. Ladle into bowls and serve!
:yes::bounce::yes:
Bob H

[Edited on 6-17-2006 by Bob H]

Made this tonight... WOW!

I added a secret incrediant. 2 tablespoons of chopped up chitpotle peppers in adobe sauce... unreal! I even poured some of the sauce from the can on top of it all... It comes in a small can and you can freeze the remainder for later on.

No longer a secret, eh?

This is just a great recipe. The best meatball soup you will ever eat, ever!

Bob H
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2009 at 12:12 PM

You just have to make this recipe!

Bob H
Bajagypsy
Super Nomad

Mood: Living the dream

[*] posted on 2-22-2009 at 06:44 PM

I made it again last night, yummy!

BajaNuts
Super Nomad

Mood: no worry, no hurry....it's all good!

[*] posted on 2-22-2009 at 07:29 PM

Well, I was inspired by all the posts and just happened to have most of the ingredients. I made it this afternoon and it turned out good. Even my son and his friend enjoyed it. I added some dry chipotle peppers and hot sauce for some kick. Good with some chips, I'd like to try it with some avocado and sour cream garnish. Will plan ahead next time but the inspiration provided didn't disappoint........thanks.........:spingrin:

[Edited on 2-23-2009 by BajaNuts]
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2009 at 12:26 AM

Taste and enjoyment aside, I was wondering how many of the posters are taking blood pressure medication. Have to admit, I love so much of Mexican cuisine, but the recipes listed would probably make my skin shrivel. Sorry to interject here, but I did not that David had already mentioned lower sodium alternatives. Some of us are handicapped in the sense that we just really have to monitor our sodium intake. Buon appetito.
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2009 at 07:36 AM

Great recipe Bob: made it this weekend following closely - did notice that the next day the soup was very thick - almost gumbo like. Still tasted good, but I liked the texture the first day.

24baja
Senior Nomad

Mood: Wishing we were in BOLA

[*] posted on 2-26-2009 at 09:20 PM

Followed Bob H's recipie and made this great dish, husband and son loved it and want to have it again. Thanks for the delicious recipie! Connie

Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2009 at 12:02 PM

It's TIME to have this again! Cool temperatures are a great time to have this wonderful recipe. I'm gonna make it this weekend!
Bob H
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 10-10-2009 at 12:05 PM

achooo! is the local salute.:lol::lol:

Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2010 at 10:13 PM

OK, it's that time again....... gonna cook this up now that we've had rain and cooler weather... can't wait! Just love this stuff.
Bob H
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.