Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Death of a Nomad
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 2-27-2006 at 08:29 PM
I only knew Tucker from the Baja board

and now, I deeply regret that I didn't know him personally.

I enjoyed his posts; intelligent, insightful and witty.

Is there a Baja Nomads members club in the afterlife?

I'm willing to pay upfront on the dues.

[Edited on 2-28-2006 by Gypsy Jan]

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
djh
Senior Nomad

Mood: Mellow fellow, plays a yellow cello...

[*] posted on 2-27-2006 at 09:16 PM

I never met Charles personally, but I enjoyed his posts here too.

I just spent a little time re-reading most of his many posts. I encourage you to do so too.

After reading, I am again impressed that Charles could disagree without being disagreeable. I hope his attitude and gentle spirit continues to influence us all.

It is easy for us to respect the people we agree with. It is also easy to marginalize people we don't agree with, and to call names... ("redneck", "lib", etc.)

We really show what WE are each made of when we respect others who have a different opinion, attitude, perspective, political leaning, etc.

A belated thank you to Charles for setting a nice tone!

Baja no mad

djh

Its all just stuff and some numbers.
A day spent sailing isn\'t deducted from one\'s life.
Peace, Love, and Music
jeans
Super Nomad

Mood: Encantada

[*] posted on 2-28-2006 at 01:17 AM

Aw...damn...Charles was a good friend....He put me up a few times.

Does his little dog have a home?

The last time he took me out to dinner, we pulled into the driveway of a little restaurant and he said in his humble way..."This isn't any place special".

"Charles", I gently chided..."When you take a woman out to dinner, you shouldn't tell her the restaurant's "nothing special". He laughed and said "This is the best place in town! And it was....

Typing this through tears....

Mom always told me to be different - Now she says...Not THAT different
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2006 at 01:21 AM

I am really sorry.

<*)))><

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2006 at 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jeans
Aw...damn...Charles was a good friend....He put me up a few times.

Does his little dog have a home?

You remember how much Charles loved that pooch, Jeans? Well, almost two years ago Charles learned that his brother in Oregon had terminal cancer and was not expected to live much longer. Charles and the little dog (darn! I can't remember it's name) bundled into the van and began the long drive north to Oregon to visit his brother and family (Charles did not like to fly in commercial aircraft).

During the time spent in Oregon, Charles' brother fell in love with that tiny dog... and as always, quietly doing more for others than for himself, Charles kissed his beloved doggie goodbye and left him with the brother to ease the pain of dying. No, it was not Charles' initial intention to do so... but although it broke his heart to leave that tiny companion behind, he knew the joy his brother would receive.

I believe Charles' brother lived over a year after that dog arrived. There wasn't a time I visited Charles that we did not talk about that teensie canine. I could tell he missed it terribly. But never did he regret having given up his companion in order that his brother might end life assisted by that tiny ball of joy, that little dog.

BTW little dog lives on with the family in Oregon.

[Edited on 2-28-2006 by Natalie Ann]

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde
Eli
Super Nomad

Mood: Some times Observing, sometimes Oblivious.

[*] posted on 2-28-2006 at 03:04 PM

I will be forever grateful to NatalieAnn for bringing Charles by to meet me.

I am gald to report that one short visit, along with the wit of his post leave a sweet memory to cherish.

Thank You Charles for the smile that thoughts of you always provide and Happy Trails Amigo, look forward to meeting you again in the sweet bye and bye.

Saludos, Sara

[Edited on 2-28-2006 by Eli]
Marie-Rose
Senior Nomad

Mood: Worried...

[*] posted on 2-28-2006 at 08:00 PM

I was so very saddened to hear the news of Tuckers passing. I know that he is now enjoying an unlimited amount of crunchy peanut butter!!! It was his one request
from a fellow nomad every time she passed thru!
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2006 at 10:16 PM

This is Nena/Natalie Ann posting a message from a friend of Charles.

From Bedo:

I knew Charles Tucker for a couple years and he was a wonderfully "gentle man" full of quiet humor, kind and helpful to me always. I miss him, and will more and more as time goes by.

You all might remember Aaron, the boy in San Bartolo who needed financial help to get medical help for a serious heart problem? Charles was instrumental in getting money to the family, offred his driving, and any other assistance he was capable of.

Tucker was no fanfare but real. Wonderful friend - if there were just more like him in our world and we wouldn't be in this mess.

.....Oscar Wilde
jeans
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2006 at 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Natalie Ann

You remember how much Charles loved that pooch, Jeans? Well, almost two years ago Charles learned that his brother in Oregon had terminal cancer and was not expected to live much longer. Charles and the little dog (darn! I can't remember it's name) bundled into the van and began the long drive north to Oregon to visit his brother and family (Charles did not like to fly in commercial aircraft).

During the time spent in Oregon, Charles' brother fell in love with that tiny dog... and as always, quietly doing more for others than for himself, Charles kissed his beloved doggie goodbye and left him with the brother to ease the pain of dying. No, it was not Charles' initial intention to do so... but although it broke his heart to leave that tiny companion behind, he knew the joy his brother would receive.

I believe Charles' brother lived over a year after that dog arrived. There wasn't a time I visited Charles that we did not talk about that teensie canine. I could tell he missed it terribly. But never did he regret having given up his companion in order that his brother might end life assisted by that tiny ball of joy, that little dog.

BTW little dog lives on with the family in Oregon.

[Edited on 2-28-2006 by Natalie Ann]

Was her name Lacy? I remember Charles mentioning his trip, but not giving the dog to his ill brother....a very selfless jesture....

Thank you for letting us all know...

BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

sad.gif posted on 2-28-2006 at 10:42 PM
Descanse en Paz

:no::no::no::saint:

BAJA IS WHAT YOU WANTED TO BE, FUN,DANGEROUS,INCREDIBLE, REMOTE, EXOTIC..JUST GO AND HAVE FUN.....
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-1-2006 at 12:16 AM

Quite a while ago someone spotted the strange, alien-like mural of a 'glowing green man'... about the time Gene Kira wrote about a glowing green man near Agua Verde.

Tucker sent me photos taken by a friend of his of the mural and a year or so later drove out to the site and took a new photo and got the GPS waypoint for the site... then sent that to me to share with all of you on the Internet...

I think the mural is probably mostly a memory now, but I still have the web page... Have a look... THANKS to Tucker!

http://community-2.webtv.net/Boojum1/Glowman

[Edited on 3-1-2006 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 3-1-2006 at 06:30 AM

is that not a trick foto? looks fake to me. sorta brushed in. adobe foto shop kinda thang?

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-1-2006 at 07:51 AM

Vio Con Dios..........

\"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men\" Plato
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-1-2006 at 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
is that not a trick foto? looks fake to me. sorta brushed in. adobe foto shop kinda thang?

No Mike, many have seen it, including Tucker who took his own photo of it... click on the link I provided to see the other photos...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

jeans
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2006 at 01:29 AM
I was asked to post this....

I sent a note to Stephanie Jackter...I knew she and her kids had spent a summer house-sitting for Charles a few years back.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey jeans, Do me a favor and post this on the board for me. I don't remember what my password and user name were and don't have time to hassle with re-registration....

My condolences go out to Charles' family and everyone on the board who knew him. My kids and I spent a summer house sitting and half destroying poor Charles' house in El Centenario and had one of the funnest summers of our lives. Charles was gone for most of that time, but you really get a feel for what someone is like when you putz around their house for a time. He definitely was not the cookin' type, as some of you have mentioned. The kitchen was pretty spotless, but mostly from lack of use. I've never seen barer cupboards in my life. All I could figure is he must have had a close relationship with the Pizza delivery restaurant down the way!

During the time we got to talk before and after he got back, he spoke a good deal about his boys. He was very proud of you and your brother, Chuck, and talked a good bit about his history of service and your very interesting careers.

We brought our dog with us on that trip and even though Charles didn't have a dog at the time, he told us about the dogs he'd loved most in his life and I remember thinking "This guy needs a new dog". He was probably thinking the same thing, as he got the next little guy not long after that.

I'm afraid I half killed his ice plants and geraniums when I didn't see where one of the irrigation spiggots was and let them suffer a whole month without water. A monsoon wind came in and the curtains knocked his beautifull golden ceramic eagle to smitherines, and a stray kitten made it in and did a big doo on Charles' favorite chair. I cleaned the damages as well as I could and went to downtown La Paz and got him that big polished wood carved eagle with the big wingspan in apology. I'm sure it didn't replace the sentimental value of the other one, but he was very forgiving about the whole thing, as seemed to be his nature all the way around, and even invited us to come again and house sit the next summer.

I was very obese and unhealthy when I met Charles and was just getting around on pure grit, but I instantly vibed in on him as one of those people who accepts people with all their limitations and not a whole lot of judgement. The kids and I weren't able to get to La Paz for the past few years and I lost touch with him after I got weight loss surgery and got healthy again. I was so looking forward to dropping in on him and having him not even recognize me this summer. But I guess that'll have to wait.

I'm glad to hear someone's taking care of the dog and hope the eagle collection finds a good home too. Here's hoping he's up there soaring with a feathery six foot wing span.

Sorry to hear about J.R. too. Hope he's resting in peace as well. I know they had met, so they may well be having a big chat in the afterlife right now. See ya'll later. - Stephanie Jackter

Son_of_Tucker

[*] posted on 3-3-2006 at 04:43 PM

Thanks to everyone for the kind words about my Father.

A graveside memorial service is scheduled for 1 o'clock Monday in Bakersfield at the Hillcrest Memorial Park Cemetery.

Thank you all..
Chuck Jr.

[Edited on 3-3-2006 by Son_of_Tucker]
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 3-3-2006 at 05:03 PM

...he was a hell of a guy chuck...

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
PJC
Super Nomad

Mood: Right

[*] posted on 3-3-2006 at 05:53 PM

Is there a fund established to help with the burial costs etc.?
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-4-2006 at 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by PJC
Is there a fund established to help with the burial costs etc.?

I am interested in making a donation in Charles' memory, but at this point I know of no fund to help with costs nor towards donation to a particular organization. I have written Chuck Jr. to ask about this, and imagine that we'll hear from him sometime next week after the services in Bakersfield.

.....Oscar Wilde
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 3-5-2006 at 10:41 AM

I never met the man but from what has been written here that was definitely my loss. Paz

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.