Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Crossing at Tecate'
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2006 at 06:35 AM
Crossing at Tecate'

This year was our first time crossing the border at Tecate'. The last few trips we have gone straight through Tijuana.

If you ever get the chance, go through Tecate'. As you approach the border from the north, the land starts to look like northern baja, even the roads are getting narrow and curvy. You turn down the road to the border and drive straight up to the booths (2). There is none of the rush and stress of the Tijuana entry. There is usually just a wave through.

Once across the border, you are immediately in Tecate'; no mass of vendors, no crazy traffic, about as bad as Mulege' on a weekday in January. About 2 miles into Baja you are out of Tecate' and out into the country. We felt like we were "in Baja" as soon as we passed the booths. That old comfortable, relaxed feeling started immediately as we crossed the border.

Coming south towards Ensenada, you pass through a beautiful landscape unlike any you will find elsewhere in Baja. Acres of orchards and more acres of vineyards with horse ranches in between. Wine tasting rooms, B&B's, restaurants and tours.

If you get the chance, go south through Tecate'. It's worth a little extra time.
Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2006 at 07:01 AM
Tecate crossing

Well said! We can handle going down through Tijuana, but after 6 months in Baja hitting the 10 lane road, San Diego traffic, rude drivers, etc. we've found that the only way to return is through Tecate. Nice drive in the hills and with orchards and vineyards, easy crossing, then a nice two lane until some adjustment is made for being back "home in the USA". Spend the night in a nice motel, then, steeled up for the passage thru LA, go in! Once in Santa Barbara north the world is rational (somewhat) again. San Luis Obispo to La Paz has one bad spot: So. Cal. Tecate is well worth the slight extra time.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 2-28-2006 at 07:22 AM

We have been taking the Tecate crossing for the last 15-20 years. It is so much nicer a drive and a lot easier to cross into the USA. The Guadalupe Valley is very scenic and have some great stops. From there it's a pleasant drive ether towards San Diego (stop at Dulzura for a treat) or northeast to Campo...and wherever. I think we shave about 3 hours and a lot of bad smells, hassle, carjams, exhaust, hawkers, etc. by avoiding Tijauna.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2006 at 08:17 AM

Pompano

Por favor

How do I access the crossing at Tecate heading north...Have always used Tijuana and Mexacali....

How is the last crossing at Ala-somethig??? and how do you get there.

Met some folks from down your way, they were visiting Abreojos at Campo Renee, we were there for dinner. Ruth Ann & Harry among others

thanks in advance fishing slow some corvina from beach.

Capt. george

\"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men\" Plato
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 2-28-2006 at 08:29 AM

Jorge...you take the exit from Ensenada malecon as you go north...watch for Tecate sign on the north side of town.

Follow that road to Tecate...about 50 miles or so. When entering Tecate go under bridge to stop sign...turn right and follow the US/San Diego signs carefully. The traffic cops will be there to help...we hope! Safe travels...Pompano

p.s. I know Ruth Ann and Harry for a lot of years now. They are old Baja hands.

[Edited on 2-28-2006 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2006 at 10:51 AM

They are very nice. We hope to see them again. I guess they're selling out and heading back north....

When you see them, send our love.

thanks fro the directions...have crossed a few times at Mexicali but never ar Tecate...is it 24 hour cross over??

Would really like to get to meet you before we head north...maybe in March? How's the fishin?? kinda slow here. <:)>>><

\"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men\" Plato
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2006 at 12:19 PM

George

border only open 6 am to midnight. Will give you a map when I am down there on the 11th if you are still there.
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-1-2006 at 07:19 AM

Ralph

We'll be here at least untill the 15th.

See you then. Lots of corvina showing up in Bocana...

estero deader then Kelsey's nuts! bring on the nets boys....

see ya george

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-1-2006 at 07:28 AM

Be there soon.. pole in one hand beer in the other
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-1-2006 at 07:43 AM

pole in hand? aren't you a little beyond that stage? besides, how ya gonna drive?

Whistler & Renaldo here...........gp

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.