Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: food and the border
marv sherrill
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-1-2006 at 04:52 PM
food and the border

We stopped going throught Tijuana for the long line reasons and love Tecate - However we tend to over buy food and instead of tossing the filet mignon, fresh vegies etc we "smuggle" them through - alas a dog sniffed out out raw asparagus and vacuum packed bacon! Really! - We tried the old these are not from Mexico but we bringing them back to the US from the US not Mex - no avail - someone ate well that night - But Last time through Tijuana with a load of left overs we were asked for the first time if we were bringing back vegies, eggs, meat and FISH - made it through but does (sorry for the long lead in) anyone know what in the way for food stuffs can you bring back - even if they were not purchased in Mexico - thanks
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-1-2006 at 04:57 PM

No Mexican friuts, eggs or veggies are allowed back into the US. No live plants either. Mexican game, fish, shrimp etc are allowed. I can't remeber the amount but you are allowed to take your "catch" back with you.
sylens
Senior Nomad

Mood: ando bajando

[*] posted on 3-1-2006 at 05:11 PM
fruits and veggies

if peeled and without seeds are, i think, ok. we have taken peeled, seeded, and diced papaya and avocado, (that we were eating as we crossed) and there was no problem.

lili
bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

Mood: words cannot describe...

[*] posted on 3-1-2006 at 06:37 PM

We've brought back chorizo, oranges, case of olive oil --- we just say it's what we brought with us if asked.
eetdrt88
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-1-2006 at 09:23 PM
just goes to show...

it all depends on whose in that little booth when its finally your turn...I once had a guy ask me if I was bringing anything back and I said "no" he then looked through my stuff and found a bag of oarnges which I told him we had brought with us from home...he didnt seem to care in fact he proceeded to give me a very stern lecture about the horrors of bringing any fruit across the border where ever it was purchased:O:O about a month ago I was crossing and had a few oarnges sitting in front in plain view of the border guard,he looked right at them and passed me through without a blink of the eye:smug::smug:

oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2006 at 02:04 AM

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-2-2006 at 08:46 AM

Oladulce, thanks... as I was reading this thread I was about to go to my glove box where I have that list...

As you can see many fruits and almost all veggies (except potatoes/yams) are allowed!

The main no-no I have come across is PORK products... Even if it cleary is in an Oscar Meyer package... (ie. from USA). So, now I usually get the turkey based lunch meats in case we don't eat it all... Unless we are going to be near taco stands, then I don't bring any sandwitch stuff!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2006 at 10:02 AM

Thanks, Oladulce
Now that is good information.

eetdrt88
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2006 at 10:29 AM
I'm glad to see...

that nuts are ok:lol::lol:

MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 3-2-2006 at 11:45 AM
Elastic Rules

The one thing I usually end up with is Lunch Meat, Sausages, Bacon, etc that I never got to so it is still in the sealed package. About a year ago, I came North and I had a sealed package of Bratwurst and a partial one. The agent at the kiosk sent me into Secondary. The inspecting agent said I could keep the sealed one, but they took the partial. OK. The next time it occurred I stated that the lunch meat was still factory sealed from the U.S. No matter. They said I could not bring it back and they seized it.
Now I just lie about it.
marv sherrill
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2006 at 05:30 PM

Thanks for the info - I found it interesting that it was all posted at Tecate and they asked, but never at Tijuana - Feb was the first time anyone mentioned it at the border.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 3-2-2006 at 07:42 PM

your right about Elastic Rules . it seems to be a little different each time you cross:yes:

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2006 at 08:33 PM

The domesticated bird thing gets me. Pidgeons and Seagulls fly back and forth all the time...One would think that a family pet bird that doesn't hang out with the wrong flock would be ok.

Another time I wanted to bring a piglet back to the US with me. There was a taco stand in a small village that had a pen connected to it with a new batch of the cutest pink piglets...The owner said I could have one.

I asked the agent at the US border first and he didn't know. The piglet wasn't really considered 'pork' yet, so he gave me a few phone numbers. I ended up with an answer from the veterinarian in charge of the US Agriculture Dept. I didn't get to speak to him directily, but I heard his voice in the background. "A live pig? I don't know,....No."

I guess it's a good thing I wasn't in the mood to argue or I might be stuck with a large white pet pig right now.

Saludos,
P.<*)))><

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.