Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Check Points/Road Blocks
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

lol.gif posted on 3-5-2006 at 11:25 PM
Quite a few years ago when my Spanish was even worse...

We ran into a pop-up out in the middle of nowhere, and 'cause I have nothing to hide and usually nothing but time, I was trying to speak the language of the Black Shirt who was at my window. At one point I said, "I don't understand what you said." He gave me a really disgusted look and sent us on our way. About a mile down the road I realized that I had said: "You don't understand what you said." Who knows, it might work for someone else!

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2006 at 11:47 PM

On our last trip we were heading North when we stopped at an inspection station 1/2 way between El Rosario and SQ. One of the soldiers was checking out the back, exterior section of my van and came to me with a black thing roughly the size and shape of a Copenhagen can. As he came closer I realized it was the gas cap to the van that I left on the rain gutter while I was filling up in ER. I was happy for that stop; that's for sure.
oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2006 at 01:06 AM
No soda, No pasa

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexray
I don't think we foreigners should feel compelled to hand out anything to the guys at the military check points. As Zac and others have mentioned, it just creates an atmosphere for them to expect goodies from those 'rich' gringos.

As for flashlight batteries...hell, they probably just use them to search more vehicles after dark - let em' get there own batteries!

I much prefer to hand out a few cold drinks to those guys out working on the highway - they usually look like they need it.

Last summer we were detoured through some road work in a remote stretch of desert. Mr oladulce and I were the only vehicle around and the flag man slowed us down to a stop. 4 guys (who looked like they'd spent some time in El Barrio) stepped in front of our truck while gesturing the "give us something to drink" sign. We smiled and shrugged "Lo siento" but it was a long 30 seconds or so before they abandoned the dirty looks, stepped away from the truck, and slapped the fenders as we drove past.

This incident reinforced the reason we don't carry extra drinks to give out in this type of situation- because we don't want to contribute to the precedent it sets for everyone traveling the Peninsula. Plus, I don't like feeling pressured in to obligation. Actually, a few hours before we had given our sodas to a family circus that had broken down - but that's another story.

Frankly, I hide our stash of batteries- mainly because we might need them during our extended stays and don't have room for extras.

I did give some mosquito coils to the soldiers at the Loreto checkpoint one summer just after some rain. We pulled up to the inspection at dusk and a black cloud of bugs surrounded the truck. Those boys were going to need the coils that night a whole lot more than we were.

We had not given the pro-model Mag light to the guys at the same checkpoint a few years prior, but they proceeded to relieve us of it anyway.

[Edited on 3-7-2006 by oladulce]
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2006 at 10:12 AM

One time my friend and I headed south after Thanksgiving and got as far as the turnoff to Erendira to spend the night. The militario was set up at that junction - about 6 of them. They had a small fire, and I think a couple tents, and they were holding blankets around themselves. Although it was about 11 pm, they still checked our car and and asked questions, and we asked if we could spend the night there, which we did, about 40 yards from where they were. There was frost on the ground in the morning and it was very cold. These guys are out there in the sun, the cold, car exhaust, wind, etc. day after day. I bring them newspapers (pick them up at the 7-11 at the second toll booth where we use the bathroom), a litre of soda (99 cents), a package of cookies - not much effort nor expense. We send literally tons of stuff to our troops doing their job out of sympathy. Why not a little sympathy for these guys? They have never asked me for anything or stolen anything. On most occasions, I have a nice conversation with them. I have never felt compelled one way or the other.
osoflojo
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2006 at 12:01 PM

WILDERONE, I agree. I usually keep my mouth shut as you can see by the number of posts I have made but it is hard for me to believe the number of people on this thread who seem to forget that those kids out there are just that, kids and they are doing for their country what their country asks of them with little support. It sounds to me like many folk here seem to think that dealing with these kids is like training a dog and not interacting with another human being albeit youg human being who is cold, hungry and most likely away from home for the first time. Give the kids a break...............
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 3-6-2006 at 02:25 PM
Well said Flojo, thanks for dropping in.

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
bancoduo
Banned

[*] posted on 3-6-2006 at 08:42 PM

What do the boys do when they are not working?:o
Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 3-6-2006 at 08:50 PM

"stand down". Considering their locations, that means pretty much nothing. Maybe sleep, polish boots, clean rifles, press uniforms, look at old Playboys given to them by gringos.

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-6-2006 at 10:42 PM

I try and talk with them, if it is appropriate (ie. no cars behind me, boring location)... It is a cultural experience and fosters better feelings between our countries, in my opinion... I have given them a water or soda on a couple occaisions if I have plenty and they either asked or looked hot and I offered.

My kids always enjoyed the interaction with these 'older kids' and their big guns.... Again, fostering better understanding between our nations...

They are there because WE (USA) requested it... You think all those Hummers arrived on Santa's sleigh?

Enjoy the experience, use your best judgement, politley say no if asked for something you do not want to give... But smile and say Lo Siento... Come on gang, we are the guests in their country... They let us invade Baja and have a blast... even tear up the country during the races...

What's hard about putting some extra waters or cokes in the cooler for giving? The Mexicans are some of the most wonderful and generous people and often go way out of their way to help us if we need it... Think about it...

We don't need to be teaching the soldiers a lesson by not spoiling them with batteries and sodas... We do need to show them that Americans (and Canadians) really are generous, nice people.

Just my dos centavos...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 3-6-2006 at 11:48 PM
Very well said, David-----and I agree totally.

oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2006 at 12:42 PM

I'd guess that most Baja travelers are "givers" by nature. The differing opinions is probably more related to the vast differences in the way we travel, our destinations, purpose of visits, lengths of stay etc and not the princlple of to-give or not-to-give.

It's a challenge to pack our camper for a 6 week trip to the outskirts of Baja Sur. We don't travel with an icechest and have room for about 4 drinks in the camper fridge. My viewpoint is probably going to be different than someone who takes weekend trips to Baja, or someone who lives in La Paz and is just driving home, or those who stay in hotels or in places that have stores.

I wouldn't hesitate to give a soldier a soda if the situation arouse. I can't explain why the Road worker thing bugs me.

The Loreto checkpoint is now one of the most professional (nice guys, thorough but quick). In Sept. I brought a stack of Surfer and travel magazines to give them but was informed that they "could not accept gifts". We proceeded North to San Ignacio where my husband was asked for Playboys. I gave them the Surfers but they didn't seem too excited with them.

[Edited on 3-7-2006 by oladulce]
eetdrt88
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2006 at 02:26 PM
role reversal

I was crossing the San Felipe checkpoint on a rather hot day once and one of the soldiers was standing there eating some fruit out of a bag,he glanced over and saw that I was watching...he walked right over and offered my buddy and me some of the fruit which turned out to be some very tasty type of cactus fruit similar to a kiwi but much juicier......I dont recall ever being asked for anything but I have given them things on a few occasions. I have never gotten the indication from these young soldiers that they expect me to give them anything

White Angel
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2006 at 02:30 PM

Hi Guys-I started this thread hoping for a little insight on the number and mood of the check points. I'm very happy with the way it's taken off. It would appear that most everyone has come to accept the inconvience with some humor and humanity. I must say I was originally upset with the delays and the seeming pointlessness of the whole concept. As has been mentioned; we likely have the U.S. government to blame and certainly shouldn't take out our frustration on the "kids" just doing their job. I'm hoping for alot more wave-throughs on this run and even plan to bring along a few batteries. Is it "AA" size?
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.