Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Ok it's the generator question again
Keri
Super Nomad

Mood: muy contento

[*] posted on 3-4-2006 at 09:35 AM
Ok it's the generator question again

We are looking to purchase a generator to run a 40ft trailer in San Quintin. We are completely off grid and noise will be a factor as neighbors are close. We've been told 3500 to 5000 would be the size to get for our needs. Can you make some suggestions for us. Different brands, prices, best place to buy , gas vs diesel. Any help would be greatly appreciated.Thanks ,k:?::yes:

http://www.pyramidresort.com
011521-646-119-9445
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-4-2006 at 10:12 AM

Go HONDA or go home !!
Gas generators are more reaily available and less expensive to buy.
I've always been happy with my Hondas, also, you can buy/build a sound-proofing box to surround the generator. Cosco often has Coleman generators with Honda engines at a pretty good price.

If your concerned about noise and have the funds, go with batteries and solar panels with generator back-up. Next cheaper is just more batteries for more time without the generator.

Is this a permanent set-up for a 40' camp trailer or singlewide ?
Is this for full time or part time use ?
Does the trailer have any batteries or solar ?
Do you need 110, 220, or just 12v ?
Tell us more and you'll get more/better answers.
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 3-4-2006 at 11:08 AM

Hi Keri,
I have discovered that One large Gen set is not the way to go. IMHO Depending on your need 2- 1000 Honda's that can run single or tandem when needed is Best.
The best setup would be 4- 6 volts with a single solar panel to build in the day and use at night with 1 gen set for light need and tandem for the big stuff.
Albert
PS I could recommend panel and controller. MotorHome mag. had a great one explained this month

[Edited on 3-4-2006 by Al G]

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 3-4-2006 at 11:26 AM

Keri

I to would go with Honda EX5500K2 ultra quite $2850 incl. ship. at Mayberrys, also consider propane if you have bulk delivery in your area, just get a 300lt tank never carry gas and gen will last a lot longer, the following site is for conversion. http://www.propane-generators.com/honda-generators.htm

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 3-4-2006 at 04:30 PM

Keri

I have 3 deisels 5500w each and they are LOUD!!!

Deisel is cheaper and way more powerful but every time i fill up I spill some and smell for an hour even after I wash up.

Propane will be my next choice...

A couple of smaller honda units that you can "hook together" would be way better as they are a lot lighter to move around and a lot quiter.

Remember if you want to run a washer/dryer you need a bigger unit (5000w) as to start a washer motor you need start-up power.

For you 2500 watt inverter would be the way to go with 16 deep cell 104 AH batteries from Costco ($36 each) and a small generator to charge the batteries once a day, during the day.

These batteries are car size and your husband will be able to move them without a forklift.

Your trailer probably has a "converter" for the 12 volt system and that thing really sucks juice when you use an inverter.

Tell us what you did....later

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
eetdrt88
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-4-2006 at 05:18 PM
the solar panel idea is a good one

we have a trailer thats just a little bit smaller than yours and we run all the lights off of one little panel and one battery...I guess alot it depends on how much power youre going to need

Porky Pig
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2006 at 08:57 AM
Not an expert but..

When sizing a generator, a lot depends on how you plug into it. Some older trailers have a single, 3 prong (20 Amp) plug, which means anything over 2400w (true power) is wasted unless you can utilize one of the generators other plugs, ie run an extension cord to a washing machine etc. Many larger generators have a 30 amp receptacle which will mean you have 3600 watts available from a single plug if you have a a 30 amp rated male plug on your trailer (or install one). In other words, if you plan to use only one outlet from your generator, a 6000w generator is overkill as you will have only 3600w available to the single outlet. (mas o menos).
Dave & Juanita

[Edited on 3-5-2006 by Porky Pig]
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 3-5-2006 at 09:20 AM

A very good point porky, in San Quintin I would think they don't need air conditioning sure looks like 3600W is more than enough.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
Al G
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2006 at 10:49 AM

http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/gensup.asp
Keri,
This subject has caused me to do some checking to replace my Onan 6.5 gas gussler. Only if I was a welder would this thing not be a waste.
I am not an expert, but full time RV living and boon-docking
has made me realize you can over do anything.
Maybe not the case, but being "off the grid" in itself is an act of being conservative. I don't know your usage and you may need 2 Honda EX4500.
New 4500 cost $3200 MSRP
Pro: Can run an air conditioner
Con: loud even for Honda

New Honda EU 2000i cost $880 (ebay) X2 $1760 + $300 parallel box ($125 Parallel cables can be used)
Pros: 1) Can run air conditioner
2) a lot less to operate most of the time
3) Very quite most of the time and Quieter then one big engine
4) You have power if one needs service
Just something to chew on.

[Edited on 3-5-2006 by Al G]

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
Keri
Super Nomad

Mood: muy contento

[*] posted on 3-7-2006 at 08:08 AM
Al G

would like to hear your suggestion on the solar panel. Like the idea about 2 generators, Also this is the first time we have ever done this type of thing before. We know nothing about generators or solar. We will only be in San Quintin part time. How do you keep the batteries charged when you are not there or do you? Does the solar panel take care of this? What about wind generated? Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so many questions. Glad to have the expertise this board has to offer. Thanks again everyone for all your answers, k

http://www.pyramidresort.com
011521-646-119-9445
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 3-7-2006 at 08:25 AM

These guys have assisted me....
http://www.partsonsale.com/main.htm

Dont but CHEAP solar panels...

Solar panels have a legal variance...a 100 watt panel may onlt produce 80 watts

Panels are sold by the watt so watch out...
$4.50 to $5.00 a watt is an estimate.

The differance between 12volt and 24volt panels is how many you can string to get the desired wattage.
24 volt lets you string more together

You need to get a controler for your panels ~$100
This keeps the batteries charged and doesnt let them get over charged.

There's lots more too...you'll be an expert later:lol:

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Al G
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2006 at 08:52 AM

Keri, I am headed for a appointment and will answer soon. My answer is a combination solar, battery and generator. No 12v "starter" batteries. bGot to go.
Albert

Albert G

bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2006 at 09:10 AM

The 2 honda eu2000i is a great solution for a sometimes need of3500 or so watts. I use one to back up my solar panels - runs on econ mode about 12 hrs on a gallon of fuel. I don't run a AC so that's not a issue hjere.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-7-2006 at 09:10 AM

Where is Bajabus???

Keri try emailing Max at bajabus*at*starband.net as I consider him the best solar power and satellite Internet expert on the peninsula. Max is legally licensed in Mexico for installation as well... Although he is in Sur.

There is no need for noisey generators to ruin the silent Baja nights and upset your neighbors!

El Camote has/had a 100% solar powered home in Baja, as well... if Max is not around... he might give some advice?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 3-7-2006 at 10:40 AM
Solar power......

......at the Cielito Lindo in San Quintin?

Talk to your neighbors about that one. I would bet that there are literally hundreds of days/year where the sun never breaks out in that area.

Just be sure that the panels will give you the juice you need in overcast conditions.

If the "ganged" Honda 2000 will work for you, that would sure be nice. You could take one or both with you on other trips. But they only put out about 3500 watts total with the parallel kit.

[Edited on 3-7-2006 by Hook]
bancoduo
Banned

[*] posted on 3-7-2006 at 03:17 PM

Go nucular by George Bush. Has good info. I learnt a lot:light:
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 3-7-2006 at 04:08 PM
Amen, banco......

Quote:
Originally posted by bancoduo
Go nucular by George Bush. Has good info. I learnt a lot:light:

Yeah, Keri, all you got to do is agree to provide low-paying, outsourced jobs for American corporations and you're in there.
:lol:
wornout
Senior Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days

[*] posted on 3-7-2006 at 04:12 PM

Outsource, Outsource, Outsource, nobody talks about insource. Wait a minute, the UAE wants to buy the ports, the longshoreman will strike, the UAE will bring in help from the UAEcountries, so I guess insourcing is 'just around the corner'.

This Space Available, E-Mail Me If Interested.
Al G
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2006 at 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Keri
would like to hear your suggestion on the solar panel. Like the idea about 2 generators, Also this is the first time we have ever done this type of thing before. We know nothing about generators or solar. We will only be in San Quintin part time. How do you keep the batteries charged when you are not there or do you? Does the solar panel take care of this? What about wind generated? Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so many questions. Glad to have the expertise this board has to offer. Thanks again everyone for all your answers, k

Sorry to take so long, but I had one of those day that nobody likes, I had to work.
I tried to find an on line review like the one in Motorhome Magazine, but the best I could do was to get the URL for the panel system I think is the best around. The system can achieve boost ratings of 45 to 70 % over standard panels.
They are not cheap, but at $1300 for system with 1- 100 watt and Super charge controller. You can add 4 more 100 watt panels as you need them.
http://www.amsolar.com/sunrunner100-30.html
1) Do not use 12v deep cycle starter batteries of any kind! People who use these do not understand batteries.
2) My suggestion are all with a 40' Mobile as a base.
3) I use 4- 6v cheap ($170) golf cart batteries, plenty for my 33' Moho. Runs lights, TV, PVR, Satellite, DVD recorder, 550 watt computer, and charge my cell for 2 days.
I recharge with a 85 amp charger in short order from a 6500w Onan. I use a 1000w Honda to top off batteries and outside lighting.
I wouldn't mind off the grid solar living as some have here, but I am not investing $20,000+ (don't think I live long enough to recoup)
My Ideal setup:
2- 2000w Honda's
4or 5 100w solar panels with 500w controller (could get by with 2)
4- Interstate 6v golf cart batteries

Someone said San Quintin' has a lot of cloudy days if so may consider a 1000w Honda instead of solar to top batteries cheaply?
Hope this helps and check out that URL good, A lot to learn there.
I know I forgot something so maybe more later.
oh...Wind! No nothing about it, but maybe for San Quintin wind is a better deal then solar. I think I'll do some checking.

Albert G

Bedman
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2006 at 01:26 AM

Hello Keri,

There are a few other things you need to decide befor you go and spend money.

Is this elect. need for a permanent trailer ? or will you travel in it?
12 volt or 110 volt?
Will you be selling the trailer in the near future?
What do you want the system to do for you?
Run A/C ? Lights? TV? Water pump?
Sattelite service? Computer? Ceiling fan? Clock radio? Microwave?

AC Devices- Microwave, Laptop, Tv, Printer, Vacuum etc.
AC devices can be run from batteries, ONLY if you have an 110 volt Inverter.

DC devices- 12 volt lights, Car stereo, RV frige, RV furnace, RV water heater etc.
DC devices can be run direct from 12 volt batteries.

Inverters can and do have battery chargers built into them and would negate the need for a seperate charger. Inverter will be necessary to operate 110 volt appliances from 12 volt batteries.

You need to build a list of things you want to power and the estimated time you want to run them and their power consumption per hour. Then you add up the the estimate to come to a total power consumption day.

THEN, and Only then you can decide what your power needs/requirements are.
Then you will have the max power you anticipate you will need at any one time and then you decide what size Generator/Solar/Battery bank you will need.

Long term Trailer, If you plan on selling it soon, I'd suggest you take the middle of the road quality. No need to splurge on state of the art equipment for a 1 year use and write off, lose 50% of your investment when you sell the trailer.

Permanent trailer/Long term use 5 years or longer.
Buy the best of everything and add 25% more output than what you think you'll Need.

This is just off the top of my head after one too many glasses of vino. If you want more, just ask.

Bedman

[Edited on 3-8-2006 by Bedman]
sheesh..too much wine and bad typing skills equals many edits

Bedman

OH, And Propane is Definetly the way to go. Never have to make a trip to the gas station for Gas/Diesel and never have to fill the dang thing and smell like Gas/Diessel till your next shower.

Also, the Two generator approach is fine IF you plan on traveling. Two little ones are easier to move. But if your stationary (or is that ery?) one is a lot easier to manage. Your not carrying it/them around. The Two unit option mkaes sense if you just want to run a small appliance for a short time (why waste the gas on the bigger unit?) but the Bigger single unit will do other things while your running it, like charge up the batteries.

I've never heard a bad word about Honda. I personally have a 3500ISEB Yamaha with remote start. and Two Honda 1000's.

Bedman

Bedman

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.