Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Mexican Cellular Service
jeans
Super Nomad

Mood: Encantada

[*] posted on 11-6-2003 at 06:38 PM
Mexican Cellular Service

I've read so much on the boards about cell coverage and which service works down there and all that. Most seem to say that AT&T has the best coverage (but there are a lot of factors). I'm assuming they were only wanting to call home, not Mexican phone numbers.

I do not have a need for monthly cell service at home and have saved a lot with the pre-pay service. Regardless of the fact that my AT&T rep said my prepay service would work down there, it does not.

Perhaps I missed it, but I have never read on the board about getting Mexican Cell service for your existing phone. It can be done...I just did it! The two services can share one phone.

I went to TelCel (they are everywhere) and got a prepaid service for my existing phone. I now have two services and all I have to do is a couple of menu selections to switch between the two. Right after I got signed up I called La Paz...worked like a charm. If I needed to call home, it would be an international call. (If my AT&T service worked, it would just be a roaming charge).

This was so easy to do. It cost me 99 pesos to sign up and another 120 pesos for airtime at 3.48 pesos per minute (local)and that is good for 3 months!!

All I wanted it for was in case of an emergency, and that most likely means calling local numbers as well as calling home. Now I'm covered.

Peace of mind is good.:yes:

[Edited on 11-7-2003 by jeans]

Mom always told me to be different - Now she says...Not THAT different
Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2003 at 08:43 PM
Go figure

Getting a Mexican Cell service for use in Mexico. What a concept. Almost as good as being a member of Baja Search and Rescue. Now that you have phone service, who ya gonna call when you have a problem? Check it out at http:groups.msn.com/TheBajasBestGuidesPhotoAlbum
jeans
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2003 at 08:58 PM
Thank you....

But that is a little too steep for me. I don't need it, anyway.
Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2003 at 09:02 PM
Prices

Actually, we are still working on the prices but as far as you not needing it, you will.
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 11-6-2003 at 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ski Baja
Actually, we are still working on the prices but as far as you not needing it, you will.

Pushy, pushy, pushy... I hope you are giving Doug a cut of the action for using his board to promote this "service" at every opportunity.
Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2003 at 10:55 PM
Nameless people

As I said, we are still working on the prices. If Doug wants a cut of something, I am sure he is capable of asking. On the other hand, this is a service offered from a Mexican Organization run by an American that is fed up with Capitalism and what it turns you into. You would be a prime example.
If you can believe this, we are actually in this to help travelers. Mexicans, Americans, Canadians, Europeans, everybody. Even you.
If it makes me some $$, great. In the mean time, I will continue to help all of you novice, unprepared travelers from the U.S. that I encounter every time I go down there. For free. Same as the Mexicans.
As far as promoting something that benefits everyone including you, perhaps I should quit wasting my time. Good thing the people that live here are interested. And they are Humans!
I was just curious as to the input from the Gringos. The service is active and in use. Whether any of the Norte Americanos are interested at this time is insignificant. Despite the fact that they are the ones that usually need it. Stay as COOL as you are hombre sin nombre.
Phil S
Super Nomad

Mood: After 34 years. Still in love w/ my wife

[*] posted on 11-7-2003 at 04:48 AM
TelCell

TelCell works great for us when we are here in Loreto. Before we got our house line, we found it to be very reasonable. However, if it is inactive for three months, you lose the number, and when you return, you have to start all over again with new number. That may change, or maybe has already. That was only frustrating part of ownership.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 11-7-2003 at 05:24 AM
JR - I would want to talk about an "insurance"

policy for a proposed moto tour down the peeeeninsula. What do you think? in case my bike takes a crap and needs to be picked up, parts brought down - whatever, like my starter going south - which happens a lot! Please tell me more.

And Jeans, good info - am going to explore it asap!!

PS - both your CD's are on the way.

[Edited on 11-7-2003 by capt. mike]

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2003 at 05:32 AM
JR, frankly I can't use a prepaid service

for a set time frame - I fly south 12 or more times yearly and only drive a local zone. But i like your concept - and its probably cheap insurance for the roadie types, assuming the underwriting entity stays as a going concern. But, if you could provide quotes for shorter terms and for specific services during a term, i'd be interested - like a single touring trip by moto to cover towing, short term storage, bike rescue-retrieval, parts delivery, mechanic services, etc.

\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2003 at 11:43 AM
do you go to a telcel outlet in baja?

or do they have offices in states?

Keri
Super Nomad

Mood: muy contento

[*] posted on 11-7-2003 at 02:10 PM
Don't count on it.

Hi Jeans, I just got back from a 2 week trip traveling the whole baja. Most of the time I couldn't get a signal even with my mexican telcel phone. I could get one in Loreto and La Paz and Cabo in other words the bigger towns but if you are counting on it in case you get stuck somewhere out in the middle ,you will be out of luck. I was down there the week after the hurricane and I know some of the poles were down and that may have made some difference but I don't think it made a difference in the remote areas. Check it out before you use it as a lifeline.k :yes:
jeans
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2003 at 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Keri
Hi Jeans, I just got back from a 2 week trip traveling the whole baja. Most of the time I couldn't get a signal even with my mexican telcel phone. I could get one in Loreto and La Paz and Cabo in other words the bigger towns but if you are counting on it in case you get stuck somewhere out in the middle ,you will be out of luck. I was down there the week after the hurricane and I know some of the poles were down and that may have made some difference but I don't think it made a difference in the remote areas. Check it out before you use it as a lifeline.k :yes:

Hi Keri,

I'm aware that any cell service will not be available in central Baja...that's a given, but I had never heard of anyone's experience in arranging Telcel on their existing phone. That was the reason for my post. Maybe Santa will bring me a Sat. phone!

Capt. Mike....I was in Tijuana yesterday, that is where I arranged this. (Digital Planet, in the Sam Club shopping center one block past La Espada?a. Juan Carlos speaks excellent English). To my knowledge, there are no offices in the US. I asked if I could add air time via the web and was told that I could buy minutes at any corner market.

Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2003 at 06:19 PM
Telcel availability

Mike, yes, it's the Mexican Telcel service. I apparently had a little better luck than Keri and Mike although I am sure we were in different areas.
As far as where they don't get reception, we have a check in system set up and contacts through land lines, cell phones and radio contact specifically for that reason.
Baja Search and Rescue is only a medium for communications to whatever services necessary throughout the peninsula. We supply a list of contacts but we expect you to call us directly for the fastest service. We can call a number of people to assist immediately no matter where you are.
A lot of thought and time was put into setting this up. We have contacts in the remotest of areas. It has already been used and it works. It also works for boaters.
I have been having serious comp. problems so please forgive my delayed responses.
Keri, I missed you by one day at Serenidad. Maybe next time. Dang!
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2003 at 07:58 PM
Jeans

I've heard (never done it) that you can rent a Sat phone from Discover Baja short term. As too 'who y a gona call' NEAL JOHNS! A true Baja nut, that will use any excuse for a trip, even if it entails rescuing ladies in distress! If you can only get to a regular phone, there are any number of Amigo's that will come to your aid (as I'm sure you know) I never worry traveling with just Brendan and I, I've never had a problem, but I know if I sent up a flare I could name a dozen people that would part the Seas if need be to get to me and help. I learned that when I broke my back, I was scared to death since I was there with Brendan, but, I was well taken care of....and learned that I had nothing to worry about. Thanks guys and Gal, you know who you are.
Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2003 at 08:12 PM
hahahahaha

Call somebody in America when you have problems in Baja, what a hoot.:lol:

[Edited on 11-8-2003 by Ski Baja]
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2003 at 08:28 PM
Ski......

I think what we were talking about is, people we know, not that we wouldn't get help from Mexico....as with everything, when you see a face you know, you feel safer. especially when you are hurt, scared and in pain. I think (as I stated when you first posted the idea) it's a great idea for a 'Baja Search and Rescue' and a great comfort to 'newbies' I think you should go ahead with the progect.....they is a need.
jeans
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2003 at 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ski Baja
Call somebody in America when you have problems in Baja, what a hoot.:lol:

[Edited on 11-8-2003 by Ski Baja]

I don't understand your need to ridicule and belittle anyone who doesn't want to buy your service. It isn't a very effective sales strategy.

I'm with Debra when she says "I could name a dozen people that would part the Seas if need be to get to me and help". Also, my parents have been full-time baja residents for almost 20 years. They know a few people.

Medical assistance is the only important issue and with my own health insurance covering air evacuation (it is also included should my injury be auto accident related) and my $30 membership to Binational Emergency Medical Care Committe, I'm in good hands.

Should my truck break down, heck...that is just another adventure and isn't that what we go to Mexico for? Been there, done that... once about 25 miles from pavement. Lived through it and it's another fun story to tell.

So JR... go to someone else's post to try to sell your services...there's no sale here.:P

Mom always told me to be different - Now she says...Not THAT different
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-7-2003 at 09:38 PM
Amigos to the Rescue!

Calling America (or anywhere) for help:

Even though 'Baja Nomad' is our new home, we are still Baja Amigos... Baja Bernie had some shirts made for the Pyramid Resort Book party that say "Amigos de Baja: Friends Helping Friends"

The best example of that theory: Have a look at the following link and see what could have been a terrible if not for a satellite phone (the only way to make a call from most of Baja, specially central Baja) and friends who could bring help!

Thankfully Neal Johns, the lovable aridologist, was rescued from his breakdown south of El Marmol. Great photos of the rescue start at http://davidksbaja.com/neal2/page6.html

[Edited on 11-8-2003 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2003 at 10:00 PM
I'm not sure that sales was the reason for the post

here.......I'm thinking it was for feed back......on an idea, from all the 'experts' here........(the same as I asked when I was wanting a good Baja rig) Thanks Guys! ( I 'mucked' up the Amigo's borad accourting to some) with my questions.

Ski, as I stated before, I think there is a need for this service.(and market for it) you do (must) realize that this would be for 'newbies' which many Baja buffs would hope to keep out (private play-ground contorvercy) IMHO, just put it out there and let the people decide.
Jim

[*] posted on 11-7-2003 at 10:06 PM

I don't know anything about "Amigos" whatever, but having cellular service in Baja has been a no brainer for us.
We have Telcel. Works fine. We use AT&T in the U.S. and Telcel in Baja.
I hope the simplicity of that solution doesn't confuse anyone.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.