Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Mexican Cellular Service
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-7-2003 at 10:41 PM

Jim, please tell us how far into the peninsula you can make a cell call from. Many may want to go south of San Quintin or beyond eyesight of Highway One.

I know sooner or later there might be cell towers the entire peninsula, but how about today?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2003 at 04:53 AM
Bait

Well, now that it is way late, and I have been out playing, in Baja, which you probably aren't, let me just say this, Yall must think you have something to do with Baja besides your vacations and making earthtone home projects. Because ya been here since whenever, on occasion.
I am not particularly trying to sell anything. What I have done is start something that will help a lot of people. I do that anyways. Mostly the ones that actually use the Carretera on a regular basis and the people that live here.

There are actually some people here besides you "Baja Aficionados" believe it or not.
And if you guys think that you have much if anything to do with Baja besides this message board and vacationing here when you are lucky enough, I think you are as COOL as you do. I bet your friends that are afraid to come here think you are as awesome as I do. Wow.
I will start a new post on here regarding such. You mean, you actually aren't afraid of going to Baja? Wow, what an adventurer you must be.
Perhaps, I was pushy, obnoxious and the usual jerk that I tend to be regarding Baja Search and Rescue. On the other hand, it was a test. For "Baja Aficionados"
The good part is that the people on these boards are such an insignificant part of Baja or anywhere for that matter, I will probably still stop to help even you when your wheel bearings or any of the usual dung that I see on the road from unprepared Gringos happens. Without asking for money. Same as the Humans do.
Have any of you Baja Aficionados stopped to help a Mexican in your rush to get to your vacation spots ? I bet they have for you.
But wait, your "group"will save you. You don't need no stinking "outsiders" do you ? Viva AAA and insurance companies
This was a test. And yall are awesome!
Go figger!
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 11-8-2003 at 07:58 AM
Ski - JR......you didn't answer my Q....

To be honest, the first person(s) i'm going to call ARE in the states - 'cause i know i can RELY on them as carefully selected pros. How do/would we reach you and/or BS&R when you're not home for the day, traveling yourself - off for a week etc??
Me thinks the logistics of operating a true assistance concept like AAA et al requires more than a "kitchen table" enterprise, and needs mega capitalization. Is that what your $250 fee goes for? A start up salting?

Don't get me wrong - I'm still interested, but frankly would need more specificity before I plunked down green (or are pesos brown?)

That's why i asked about short term policies. I think you're attempting to do the right thing here, hope it comes together, but feel you need a lot of subscribers to make it work the way it must. The first time someone in dire need can't get through in a timely manner they'll be out for blood re: the $$'s outlayed for nada.

[Edited on 11-8-2003 by capt. mike]

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-8-2003 at 09:27 AM

JR, did you read the u2u I sent you before my last post? I am offering to help you with this project. You are the one who (above) laughed at the idea that calling Americans for help would work (an insult to many), so I provided photos that prove it does work (at least if you have a Sat. phone and good amigos).

Because many (most?) who come to these message boards do not have a satellite phone or good amigos, your service could be very benificial!

I am not sure why you keep 'biting the hand' of your amigos here, but perhaps there is something else bugging you? Anyway, do read your u2u and I will gladly do that to assist your project or do something else that I can, if you wish.

PS, Yes, I do stop and help Mexicans broken down... I am both American and human.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2003 at 09:32 AM

J. R. It is time for you to go to the Woodshed with me!!!
In one of your Posts you stated that Capitalism"look what it turns you into"
J. R. You have your head in your Brass!!!
Look what it turned me into!
"A God loving 72 year old Man who will help,anyone in need. especially Children"

A Hard working Man who saved his money,worked 17 hours a day then made some investments for the future. One of those investments was "Rancho Sonrisa"Which helped out much poorer people who wanted to better themselves

I lived dirt poor until graduating from Hi school and finally into the Service to Fight a War that may have saved your Father and Mothers Brass..

I am proud to be an American involved in Capitalism and gives anyone a chance to better themselves.

What in the Hell do you think would happen to those millions of Legal and illegals working in the Good ole USA if I did not pay my Taxes? Whether I like the way they are spent or not!!!!

Your short essay on the type of Govt. you think would be better. smell of :"If it Feels good ,Do it' even if it gives you Aids!!

You and I are going to have to set down over a Carte Blanc and have a little discussion about what Capitalism has turned me into.I will look forward to stopping by and setting you straight in Life.

I happen to think that you are worth saving!!

God Bless America
God Bless all the working folks and all the entrupeners{Sp} who invest their money or their Pappys money to provide jobs for all my Mexicano Friends and all other people!!!

Skeet/Loreto
jeans
Super Nomad

Mood: Encantada

[*] posted on 11-8-2003 at 09:49 AM
Amazing.....

Quote:
Originally posted by Ski Baja
.....There are actually some people here besides you "Baja Aficionados" believe it or not.
And if you guys think that you have much if anything to do with Baja besides this message board and vacationing here when you are lucky enough, I think you are as COOL as you do. I bet your friends that are afraid to come here think you are as awesome as I do. Wow.....
.....You mean, you actually aren't afraid of going to Baja? Wow, what an adventurer you must be.....

You just insulted everyone on this board. But from a business standpoint you're going to have to lose the condecending, antagonistic attitude aimed at your target market.

I suggest letting someone else be your spokesperson. The concept has possiblities, but your salesmanship might be it's biggest liability.
Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2003 at 11:26 AM
U2U's

OOOOhhh, my aching head ! David, for some reason my U2U's won't open so I can't see your message. I will keep trying in between throbs.
Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2003 at 12:14 PM
Read your posts

I am sure that I tend to P off a bunch of you folks out there with my political/regional beliefs. And I mean what I say and am not afraid to back them up. You don't see me signing in as Hombre sin nombre do you ?
I do find it interesting that the people probably the least deserving of my statements are the ones that reply to my babble. And there aren't very many replies.
I betcha what I say truly hits home with a number of people though. Perhaps they will at least think about what I am saying.
Skeet, thank you for your kind words. And how did you know I like Carta Blanca ?
I'm really not that bad of a person and I do help a lot of people whether they think the same as me or not. That's part of being Human.
Mike, we are working on how to establish fair and affordable prices for everyone. All you need to do is stop by and we will help you out. Although it may be from my kitchen table or bathtub for that matter.
As far as calling for help, there are a few #s to call when I am gone. Plus, I have a phone with me when I'm traveling. I am working with the locals here in Rosarito trying to make this whole deal as easy and efficient as possible for everyone. There may even be an easier stop than Rosarito if all goes as planned. Would yall prefer a fish or carne asada taco stand to sign up for Baja Search and Rescue ? This is Mexico after all.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 11-8-2003 at 05:27 PM
ok JR - keep on it, i want it to succeed....

i will buy your help short term if you can come up with a plan.....

you may want to get some advice re: marketing though!!!.....just kidding amigo, after all, who gives a rat's arse on these boards after all!!! not me!

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2003 at 06:47 PM
Rat's arses

Mike, you are too funny! I have all the contacts set up but am just working on artwork, legalities and hopefully some help from some major Dudes down here.
I would like this to be an almost free type service but without some corporate sponsorship which is in the works, it will be impossible.
Anyone going down that would be interested in this type assistance, let me know and I will work something out as far as pricing to get you on the road with Baja Search and Rescue as your invisible traveling companion.
Jim

[*] posted on 11-10-2003 at 05:14 PM

from DavidK
Quote:

Jim, please tell us how far into the peninsula you can make a cell call from. Many may want to go south of San Quintin or beyond eyesight of Highway One.

We've used AT&T all over but the roaming charges are steep. Telcel we have used only in the Mexicali/San Felipe or Tijuana/El Rosario areas. Friends have used their Telcel phones all the way to the cape but I think they had some roaming charges as well.
The charges don't bother me because I use our phone only for brief, important communications, not for chit-chat.
Family Guy
Junior Nomad

thumbup.gif posted on 11-10-2003 at 05:33 PM
Sat Phone Deal

Been doing a bit of research on renting a Satellite phone for coverage in central Baja.

Satellitediscountstore.com offers a great deal for the iridium 9500--only $80 for two weeks and 1.75 a minute. They even offer a 3 day grace period for return. I found Discover Baja, which someone mentioned in an earlier thread, to be a bit pricey--twice the price for both minutes and phone rental and you would be on Globalstar not the Iridium system.

JR, I like the concept of BSR. There is certainly a need for a system like this in baja. Good luck!

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.