Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Parking at Guymas ferry terminal
squffy

Mood: ready to travel

cool.gif posted on 3-6-2006 at 07:20 PM
Parking at Guymas ferry terminal

Does anyone know how safe the parking is at the Guymas ferry terminal ? Will an old Volvo wagon car filled with camping gear be in danger of a break in ? (not high end camping gear mind you)

Also any nuggets on the how booked the ferry individual cabins get would be appreciated. I haven't called the terminal yet but am looking for some individual experiences.
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2006 at 07:32 PM

In my past expierence Ifound that I was much better served by getting to Guymas and checking in the day before departure., then the following morning arrive with your car at the appointed time for loading. You can also make arangements for a Room,.

On one of my trips across I learned how the Youngsters kept the Feds from finding their Dope, They put the Grass in rubbers, then into a jar of peanut butter! that way the dogs could not Sniff the Dope.

Skeet/Loreto
Mexray
Super Nomad

Mood: Baja Time

[*] posted on 3-6-2006 at 08:07 PM
We made the Guaymas/Santa Rosalia trip a few years ago...

...we tried to buy our ticket a couple of days before the trip, but were told to come back early on the transit day and buy and check-in at that time.

Don't know why you would want to leave your car out there in their parking lot? Unattended? Don't think that would be a great idea, or eve if they would let you.

We showed up in the early morning and were directed to a line of vehicles that were being measured...I think there are signs to direct you. Of course when we were being measured for our fare category. - the first 10 inches or so were missing from the tape measure! The guy asked me to hold the end of the tape even with the front bumper...so I just moved it 'aft' about 10 inches to compensate...can't fool this gringo so early in the morning! He filled out a form with the measurement for me to take into the office to buy our ticket. You have to buy a ticket for the vehicle and each person going on the boat.

The boat used in this transit when we took it, had no cabins for use. Cabins were only on the larger boats used for the longer trips into/out of La Paz.

You can't get to you vehicle after you park it on the boat. Fill a cooler with all your food & drinks and take it with you above decks. Take some jackets, etc if the weather gets cool. Also maybe a blanket to throw over you if you want to get some shut-eye on the way over.

The passenger seating inside the boat get's a bit 'close' after starting the transit...we couldn't take it, and so took up a spot back on the boat deck. Also, the heads (bathrooms) got to their typical messy condition within a couple of hours away from the docks - Yuck! And I do mean Yuck!

There was an extensive drug/gun search out in the parking lot before leaving, complete with dogs. They didn't go through our stuff, but let the dogs sniff around inside our old VW bus. It cracked us up, as we had to go through the same military inspection upon landing over at Santa Rosalia...like we were going to acquire some guns/drugs while on the boat??? Ah, Mexico!

The other fun thing was having to BACK into the boat's vehicle deck. There were doors at each end of the boat, as it was designed for vehicles to drive forward when loading - then drive forward off to unload at the other end...but of course, the boat operators only use ONE door - so you have to BACK down the ramp...this is really fun for the truck with trailers, and pick-up with trailers, etc! It was fun to observe that the beer agency trucks were the last to BACK onto the boat, so they didn't have to BACK up so far! I think there were a few cases of amber liquid being exchanged for this 'privilege'!

We saw hundreds, if not thousands of small dolphins on the way over...take a book to read, perhaps.

According to my clock...anytime is \'BAJA TIME\' & as Jimmy Buffett says,
\"It doesn\'t use numbers or moving hands It always just says now...\"
squffy

[*] posted on 3-6-2006 at 08:24 PM

Thanks Mexray for a comprehensive trip description. We were going to leave our car in Guymas and take buses etc when we get to the Baja, and return by ferry after a few days. Maybe we could leave the car at a hotel..hmmmm.......have to work that part out I guess.

I had heard that the salon can be crowded and maybe nasty smelling (especially if the water is rough).

The web site lists cabins, but who knows.

Thanks again:cool:
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2006 at 08:38 PM

Post your question on one of the San Carlos forums: http://www.sancarlosmexico.com/forum.htm or www.vivasancarlos.com.

I don't think I would leave the car in Guaymas. Maybe park it at the marina in San Carlos, and take a taxi to the ferry There are also a number of very secure storage facilities, such as, Marina Seca which is affiliated with Marina San Carlos. (www.marinasancarlos.com).
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2006 at 08:03 AM

Goof info ! On one trip across We had our new Black Lab Puppy; Paid a guy $20 and he let me come down on the Deck and walk the dog.

Have a good trip
skeet
squffy

[*] posted on 3-7-2006 at 08:09 AM

Thanks for all the info. I will blog on the San Carlos forum and see what's up on the security for the car. Any info on cabin experiences on the ferry would be great.

Squffy
bajarich
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2006 at 09:11 AM

Several years ago, we had the ferry ride from hell. No it didn't sink, but the sea was rough and people were throwing up. All they did was throw sawdust on it and the whole cabin smelled like vomit. We spent most of the time out on the deck, but the smell of diesel wasn't much better.

The real kicker was when we got to Santa Rosalia, it was too rough to get the ferry into the breakwater so they circled outside for four more hours. We didn't get to land until midnight.

We haven't taken the ferry since, although it is shorter to drive through Nogales and take the ferry than to drive through Tijuana. When driving from Salt Lake, the cost isn't much different when you consider the gas vs. the toll.

[Edited on 3-7-2006 by bajarich]
Mexray
Super Nomad

Mood: Baja Time

[*] posted on 3-7-2006 at 10:27 AM
Cortez crossing...

...On our trip, the seas were running about 4-6 feet by the time we got to Santa Rosalia - a bit 'rough', but ferry handled it well. As we approached the breakwater, the ferry's skipper appeared unable to handle the entrance, we began to 'circle' the area. In about 30 min's, we spotted a panga bouncing through the waves toward our vessel. As it turned out, it was the Santa Rosalia 'Pilot', coming to steer the ferry through the breakwater, to the dock.

How that poor guy managed to grab the ships ladder and board, while bouncing in that panga, is beyond me! The ferry slowed and the panga came along side in the lee of the offshore breeze. The pilot grabbed the ladder and climbed aboard.

The ferry made one turn, and made a perfect entrance to the docks! Well done, mate!

And yes, the main passenger cabin was quite 'ripe' by trip's end, as were the before mentioned, ships heads!

I thought the trip was a 'hoot', but my wife had other opinions...don't think we'd opt for that option again. However, if we hadn't taken that particular trip, we'd probably not have stumbled onto Playa los Naranjos, on Bahia Concepci?n, where we ended up renting a palapa!

According to my clock...anytime is \'BAJA TIME\' & as Jimmy Buffett says,
\"It doesn\'t use numbers or moving hands It always just says now...\"
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2006 at 10:44 AM

Baja rich: We had the same experience with rough Sea and a 7 hour wait to get into the Dock.. Very bad except for one thing. About 15 miles East of The Isla Tibiruonwe saw a School of Yellowtail that was at least 1/4 mile wide and 2 miles in length all on the surface of the Water. Never ever again saw such sight of yellowtail.

sqyffy: If youhave the time go to the La Posado Bar and have a Drink and if the Wood Carved Wall Mural is still there , Please look at it , take a photo and send to me. I will pay you expense including a good Drink!!

Many years ago I was at the Bar having a cool one when I noticed a table with three people near the Bar . Started talking to them , found it was Lisa Minnella, they were there making the story about "Rum Running' Boose into San diego during the Days of Probition.

If any Nomad gets to Guymas Please go see the Wood Carving. It is a Materpiece.

Skeet/Loreto
osoflojo
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2006 at 01:25 PM

Everyone has already said it the way it is, especially the state of the main cabin and its floor. Each time I transited the ferry it was one that had cabins and believe me they are well worth every peso for a quiet place to sleep and a clean, private (shared with other cabin folk but not the general cabin) head. I will not even begin to relate some of the stories I heard from other passengers who thought they would save a peso or two by traveling in the main cabin. Dont bother leaving the car, take it with you.........Bien Viaje.........
squffy

[*] posted on 3-7-2006 at 02:01 PM

We are coming from Bisbee, AZ so whipping around to the Baja is a long way to drive. When I do drive I want to bring the truck camper (4wd GMC 2500HD) for more flexability. Time is a little limited this trip.

Thanks to all for an excellent sampler of experiences.

Skeet, I will go and look at the wood carving if/when we get to Guaymas.
I will post a digital photo of the carving if I can. If not I will get back with you via this blog/forum.

Nice blogging to all,

Squffy
bajarich
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2006 at 09:53 AM

The other problem we had with the ferry was due to our limited time. We had two weeks off from our jobs. 'Left Salt Lake on Friday, arrived in Guaymas on Sunday. Then we had to wait until Tuesday to catch the ferry.

On the way back, due to the ferry schedule, we had to leave Santa Rosalia on Wednesday in order to be back in Salt Lake in time for work on Monday. We Only got one week in baja out of our two week vacation. The schedule just didn't work that well with our jobs.

If I lived in Az, I would probably take the ferry again too, but you do miss out on the wonderful drive through Catavina and all that Northern Baja has to offer.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2006 at 10:52 AM

From Bisbee you are looking at a two day drive. Taking the ferry is at least a full day if not more given having to be there when the ferry leaves etc.

I have been both ways and find the only advantage to the Ferry is if I don't take my vehicle... and then I have to find a ride once I get to Santa Rosalia (vehicle expense has risen over the years).

I drive anymore (5-6 times a year) unless I want a little adventure.

If you are looking for a new experience take the Ferry (Last time I went there were places you could leave your car).. Otherwise I would drive.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.