BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Southern Baja Road and Hotel questions.
Bagheera

[*] posted on 11-7-2003 at 02:20 PM
Southern Baja Road and Hotel questions.

I'm a San Diego resident who's only seen northern BC. I've never travelled further south than San Felipe and Ensanada. This Thanksgiving, I'm taking a week-long trip down Hwy. 1 to Loreto and back. I will stay in Gerrero Negro, San Ignacio, Mulege, and Loreto. I have a few questions about this trip:

--How are the roads? I've driven Mexico 1-D (excellent grade) and Mexico 3 (rough, but driveable). How does Mexico 1 south of Ensanada compare to these two roadways? I estimate an average speed of 50mph on these roads. Is that speed reasonable?

--I'm not making hotel reservations beforehand, as the only hotels that accept reservations online are outrageously priced. How likely am I to get a room without a reservation? Can I get a room equivalent to an American 2-star hotel for $50 a night?

--How's the Gringo factor over Thanksgiving? I'm really loooking to escape the US for a week, and if I don't see a single American the whole time I'm in Baja, I'll be happy as a clam.

Many thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.
fishinrich
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2003 at 04:17 PM

The road is fine, there will be lots of hotels in your price range and there will be more gringos than mexicans. Here in los barriles/buena vista all the gringos are back in town and I am sure it is like that in any town that has any thing to offer. fishin rich
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2003 at 05:46 PM

Fishinrich is right. I would add, keep your gas tank full, some places don't always have gas. Most will agree it's best to drive during daylight. Same common sense for the south as in the north. Most of all enjoy it all.

[Edited on 11-8-2003 by TW]
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2003 at 05:51 PM
Rich is right.....

It's 'snowbird' season in Baja.

If you just look you can find a 2star hotel for alot less than $50pnt. Usually I'm either tent camping or in my Moho, but, last summer did the hotel thing for a week on the way south and the hotels we stayed at were mostly in the under $20 range, clean....nothing fancy. Good luck and have a great trip.
Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2003 at 06:49 PM
Heading south

The places you are planning on staying will more than likely be populated by Mexicans over the holiday week. The Gringos head to the resort areas like Concepcion Bay and the east cape region.. If you go to the less known places, you will be surrounded by some of the best people on the planet. And very few Gringos. If you are interested in some suggestions for your trip, send me a U2U. I prefer the Mexicans as well.
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 11-9-2003 at 03:56 PM

Thanks for the advice. I guess I'm not trying to avoid all Americans as much I'm avoiding the "Ugly American" tourists--the ones who ask for chicken nachos with cheddar cheese and begin every statement with "HHHablar Espanyo?"

One last question: How long would it take to get from Tijuana to Guerrero Negro? I estimate 10 hours on the road plus 3 hours worth of breaks (I take a lot of breaks).
Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2003 at 04:23 PM
Driving time.

That should be pretty easy. Check out Baja Search and Rescue at http://groups.msn.com/TheBajasBestGuidesPhotoAlbum. You might be interested.
Barney
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2003 at 10:22 PM

You should leave as early as possible, get your tourist card (needed if you are going that far.) Gerro Negro is easly makeable the first day. Leaving early. will allow you to enjoy the drive with out pressure. When you fuel up make sure the attendant zeros the pump before putting fuel in your tank. Some Pemex stations are notorious for ripoffs.
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2003 at 10:37 AM

Fifty miles an hour is great as long as your relexes and brakes are in excellent condition. While horses & cows rarely sleep on the highway during the day, they often just stand there.

One day about noon, just over the rise of a small hill in an otherwise open area, we screeched to a halt avoiding the newly downed carcasses of two horses. Soon as I get my pictures ready to post you can see them along with the vultures just arriving, thinking about what a great meal they were about to have. Glad we weren't going to be part of it.:tumble:

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 11-10-2003 at 02:31 PM

Hwy. 1 is in fine shape, but watch for topes and sharp curves. All of the highway signs are pertinent - so heed them all. 50 mph is reasonable. There will be plenty of gringos in Mulege as there is a residential contingent there; Guerrero Negro is where everyone fills up with gas and a meal. There aren't too many hotel in Guerrero Negro.
Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2003 at 10:22 AM
Guerrero Negro

Actually, there are quite a few hotels in Guerrero Negro. There just isn't a heck of a lot to do there unless the whales are visiting. There is some good fishing and clamming but as far as a tourist destination, 1 or 2 days oughtta do it.
During Easter week, many Mexican families populate the beaches around Concepcion Bay. And many other areas as well. And, when the Mexicans party, nobody sleeps as we were told by a couple of kids who were inviting us to join them.
Phil S
Super Nomad

Mood: After 34 years. Still in love w/ my wife

[*] posted on 11-11-2003 at 08:39 PM
Guerro Negro Motels

ON way down three weeks ago, we stayed at the Don Vincente Motel. Cost for the two of us $20.00. Had t.v. & a telephone. Is the first motel on the right hand side of the street after you turn off Hwy 1 and head into town. Has secured parking, and a restaurant on premises. Food was o.k. Enjoy your trip.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 11-12-2003 at 06:50 AM

We also stayed there in October. It's the first motel as you drive into Guerrero Negro.

$20 for two, TV in English, clean, room to park boats (there was one there) 24 hour guard in a guard shack in the middle of the lot.

Food was good (we were the only patrons in the restraunt, again). :yes::yes:

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.