Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: From Baja to Up North
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 3-9-2006 at 12:31 PM
From Baja to Up North

We just got Up North on a quick trip from Baja Sur. Left Mulege area and traveled north with little hassle from army checks or immagracion. We stayed our first night at Old Mill. Nice, comfy room for $40..plus complimentary Pacifico each from our gracious host. Lots of friendly off-road bikers and support crews there, too. Good cafe next door with a bayview. Crab claw dinners with flan dessert for two plus 3 c-cktails for less than $30. A good bet on the Baja Road near San Quentin.

Good times in SD & Mezquite,NV...won at Texas Hold-Em game!

Up North tidbit...

We never saw so much snow in the mountains as this years's late season...lots of people hauling skies and snowmobiles! Being in somewhat of a rush, we took the shortcut from Salt Lake City through West Yellowstone to Bozeman, Mt. and enjoyed a very scenic winter landscape. Hwys 20 and 191. I don't know the depth of that last recent snowfall, but it must have been a doozy! Great fun if you don't have to shovel your way out...as a lot of homeowners and business people were doing.

Then we came upon these bison playing on the roadway just outside the park...everyone was out having a good time! We slowed and ambled along with them for a spell, so as not to spook them or cause them to stampede. They clip-clopped alongside us and seemed to say...'Want to race?' Felipa seemed to say...'Do bison like pie?'

But one can only have so much fun in the snow... so will return to Baja shortly....naturally. I got a great fishing report today from the Mulege area, so am eager to return for this spring and early summer. Lookout, Fish!..here we come! Reports to follow.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2006 at 01:15 PM

Well I guess I can finally eat that plate of cookies Pam made in anticipation of your arrival. :lol:

Isn't it wonderful being home ? We had freezing rain then 70mph winds and 2 inches of snow last night. Tell me again, why did we leave Baja ??
turtleandtoad
Senior Nomad

Mood: Good if fishing

[*] posted on 3-9-2006 at 02:08 PM

Pompano,
How was the road out to Old Mill?

Last time I was there, most of it was flooded and the rest was a mess. Not something I would want to try in my RV. Of course that was right after a rainstorm.

Mike & Robin; Full-Time RV\'ers
37\' Georgetown w/3 slides & 275 Watts of Solar Power
06 Taco TRD
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

To paraphrase Frank Lloyd Wright; I\'m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let\'s start with keyboards. -- Mike Dean
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2006 at 03:39 PM

Diver...if you only lived a little closer to our world! I can see the cookie dust on your chin now. I promise we will be there this spring/summer....leave an extension cord out for us, we will be bringing the Fiver. Being home Up North isn't that bad..as long as I can count on being back in Baja in a few days. Why leave Baja? Because we needed traffic jams-road rage-smog-driveby shootings-bigotry-racism?...but finally we got through California and left that behind us......;)

turtleandtoad...the Old Mill road was still the same and is washboarded for about 3 miles off the pavement. Having said that, it was in the best shape I have ever seen it, although still a pounder if you don't slow down. The motocycle guys had a ball and were passing us at 50mph.

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2006 at 03:55 PM
Could this be Baja in 20 years?

Entering the rat-race...thank God the highway continues through.

Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2006 at 04:23 PM

NOOOOOOOO !!!!!!!

PLEASE NOOOOO !!!! :no::no::no:
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2006 at 04:39 PM
Rush Hour near the Park.....

Now this I can live with!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.