Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Bacon Wrapped Hotdogs
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 3-11-2006 at 03:55 PM
Bacon Wrapped Hotdogs

Ingredients

Hotdogs (Mexican hotdogs seem to have less fat and certainly less preservatives, I think that they work better in this recipe. I just ask the servers at the deli counter in the market for ?salchichas de bien calidad y sabor?, this approach works well for me)

Thin sliced bacon (I like the non-vacuum packed bacon from the deli, it also seems less salty, I always rinse American bacon, I don?t have to do that with the fresh Mexican version)

McCormack Mayonesa ?Aderezo para Tortas y Sandwiches? (the color is similar Thousand Island dressing and it also has pickles)

Preparation

Preheat broiler, set on low

I prefer to cut the dogs into thirds, it makes them easier to handle. Make a slit in the middle of the dogs and put a dab of the mayonesa inside.

Slightly precook the bacon (in a microwave, about one minute and half to two minutes on three-quarter power)

Wrap the bacon around the dogs, secure with toothpicks

Put under the broiler, adjust distance as necessary to prevent burning, keep a close eye on them, and turn once or twice until bacon is done to you satisfaction.

Pile on serving plate, put another dab of mayonesa on each and (this is important!) get out of the way, you might be trampled in the ensuing rush :lol: :lol: :lol:

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-11-2006 at 04:07 PM

Great recipe. I love those things.

Most of the street vendors here use hot dogs de pavo. If I am going to eat a hot dogs, I want pork. Then wrap them in some more pork(bacon) top with mayo, chopped tomatoes, chopped onions, jalape?as, mustard and catsup.
Whoosh
I am out of here...gotta get me a dog!

vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 3-12-2006 at 12:38 AM
Like a cholesterol IV

Just today we were talking about the bacon wrapped hot dogs from the stand in front of the church in Santa Rosalia.

Death by pig fat. I hope they're open when next I pass through!

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-12-2006 at 08:59 AM

did this come out of the "Heart Smart" recipe book??

capt g

\"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men\" Plato
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 3-12-2006 at 03:27 PM

Ahh...The only edible weiner in the ENTIRE world is made by Schwiegert. Period. We are talking MEAT hot dogs. No turkeys need apply.

Okay, Nathan lovers!...Come out, come out, wherever you are!

My doctor insists that I should eat lots of these every week....but then, he has always wanted my fishing tacke, too.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 3-12-2006 at 05:40 PM
100% Atkins Approved

BTW, the Growling Gourmet inhaled four of these for lunch (I refused to make any more) and then had a blood test the next day.

Cholesterol: 133

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2006 at 08:48 PM

sabrett with the skins on... years ago in NYC "Dirty Water Dogs"

pushcart hot dog stands never changed water..just kept adding..

boil cardboard in that water and stick it on a bun...still would be the best dog ever!!!

capt. g

\"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men\" Plato
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2006 at 09:04 PM

OH man I lived off Sabretts when I was there in '69. Just about all I could afford. Certainly no Nathans...way too expensive for me, making $5200 a year.
I still love a good dog. And everyone who live here has their favorite vendor. Ours is Miquel in La Playa. Sets up right in front of Mercado Maricela almost every night. Has all of the above mentions condiments, awesome burgers and burritos. Maybe I should move this to the restaurant review.
We can get those chicken apple ones here now..............who cares?:P

Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2006 at 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajajudy
OH man I lived off Sabretts when I was there in '69. Just about all I could afford. Certainly no Nathans...way too expensive for me

The two best are Sabrett's (NY) and Vienna (Chicago).

My frat brother in college was a grandson of the Nathan's family. He told me what goes in 'em. If you knew, you wouldn't eat 'em. ;)

Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 3-13-2006 at 10:27 PM

Nope...all wrong.

Schweigert hands down.....the only one served at the largest state fair in the USA. Makes that vendor a bundle in just 2 weeks...then retires for the year.

Wrap them in bacon and they rank somewhere between deep-fried Snickers and drinking Crisco in terms of healthiness.

[Edited on 3-15-2006 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2006 at 07:05 AM

My daughters chocolate lab use to eat my grandaughters used pampers, would not, I repeat, would not eat baloney or hot dogs!!

perk up your appetite??

capt g

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.