Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Eclipses (plural)
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 11-8-2003 at 08:33 PM
Eclipses (plural)

The lunar eclipse tonight was sweet, sorry our NorCal skies did not clear until it was about 10% exposed (but 90% was certainly good)
Remembering a drive to Ensenada in about 1980 when we set out very very early in the morning and had a lunar eclipse all the way to Bakersfield, awesome night to drive.
So, the big question???
How many of you Nomads were in Baja for the BIG EVENT in 1991? Totality under the sun!!
We were at km 100, camped out overnight and had the most wonderful 7 minutes that anyone could ever experience. My daughter was 19 at the time, still says it was the 'memorable moment' of her life.
So, who else of you was (were) there?

Baja Arriba!!
BajaVida
Senior Nomad

Mood: muy cool

[*] posted on 11-8-2003 at 11:25 PM
Go ahead, rub it in.

You invited me to go on that trip but I flaked out. I have regretted my decision ever since.

No se apure y dure.

Don\'t hurry and you\'ll last longer.
Neal Cox

[*] posted on 11-9-2003 at 08:02 AM

Didn't make the 91 Baja version of the eclipse, but we had a great view of the eclipse last night from the very northwest corner of Washington State. My home faces Mt. Baker head on, the night was crystal clear (about 25 degrees). The moon appeared to the north side of the mountain and a couple of hours later we were able to watch the entire eclipse from the comfort of our home, it was great.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-9-2003 at 10:35 AM
'91 Eclipse Pics

'M' has some great photos of the eclipse when she and Graham where south of La Paz. The Mexican government was affraid too many outsiders would rush south for the event, they tried to control it with tickets to see the eclipse! See the ticket and eclipse at: http://davidksbaja.com/eclipse

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2003 at 12:18 PM
We Were There in '91

At Cabo San Lucas. We stayed for a week around the eclipse, about 50 of us who had convoyed down from the LA area. We watched the event through the special little paper glasses everyone had and reversed a telescope to project the eclipse onto a paper plate. Strange, mysterious light, a hanging blue-greyness. The total eclipse lasted about 7 minutes. As the last sliver of sun faded, our border collie climbed into the motorhome and settled in for the "night." Seven minutes later the sun started working out from behind the shadow and she climbed back out. I always wonder if she felt she'd had a good nights sleep. Anyway, that eclipse had a way of putting human existance on earth into a perspective I won't ever forget.
Stephanie Jackter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2003 at 07:17 PM
I was at a wedding in La Paz

and watched it from the upper deck of the Perla Hotel. - Stephanie

When the goin' gets tough, the wierd turn pro

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.