Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: fm-3
oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2006 at 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
...I can tell you that an FM-T is for TOURISTS (people on a vacation)...

If you are going to maintain (keep) some personal or real property in Baja, you are NOT a tourist... per Mexican immigration, thus the FM-3 or FM-2 visa.

Some of us fall through the cracks though.

There's no immigration category for those who own property and keep stuff in Baja but have to utilize FMT's because we don't meet the criteria for an FM3:

- Not retired.
- Don't live in Mexico full, or even part-time yet.
- Unable to open a Mexican bank account because we lack an FM3.
- Can't get to Baja Sur monthly to generate the bank account activity the immigration office wants to see when it's renewal time. (at least this is a requirement of our local immigration office in San Carlos/ Mag Bay).
- U.S. work schedule may not allow FM3 renewals within the required timeframe.

We're FM-FR's (future retirees).
mexibob
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2006 at 09:35 PM

I chose to complete the process to become an immigrant. I feel it is a small way to pay back the opprotunity to live in this country.

It's my opinion that if you are to live here you should give the most back that you can, and not be one that takes advantage of the country while living here on a VISA.

As far as reporting and limitations are concerned. If I move from my 'registered' location, get married or take a job, I need to notify the proper officials.

During the ten year process I was never told there was a time period that I could be in or out of the country.

With the immigrant status I can't hold a political position, can't serve alcohol or have a government job. All of above that really aren't an interest to me anyway.

I can't vote either.

Other than costing one a few thousand dollars, a lot of paperwork, ten years of waiting, a lot of anguish when the rules are changed and just doing the dance, it is worth the process if you truely want to give back.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-14-2006 at 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by oladulce
Quote:
Originally posted by David K
...I can tell you that an FM-T is for TOURISTS (people on a vacation)...

If you are going to maintain (keep) some personal or real property in Baja, you are NOT a tourist... per Mexican immigration, thus the FM-3 or FM-2 visa.

Some of us fall through the cracks though.

There's no immigration category for those who own property and keep stuff in Baja but have to utilize FMT's because we don't meet the criteria for an FM3:

- Not retired.
- Don't live in Mexico full, or even part-time yet.
- Unable to open a Mexican bank account because we lack an FM3.
- Can't get to Baja Sur monthly to generate the bank account activity the immigration office wants to see when it's renewal time. (at least this is a requirement of our local immigration office in San Carlos/ Mag Bay).
- U.S. work schedule may not allow FM3 renewals within the required timeframe.

We're FM-FR's (future retirees).

Man, I hope someone gives the correct skivy on this, because you CAN NOT have property left in Mexico legally with a Tourist Card (FM-T)... to my knowledge.

Nomads??? Is there some other kind of FM-3 or visa that applies here?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2006 at 02:15 AM

It is confusing DK.

I should clarify that alot of the "stuff" we keep in Baja are items that we have declared and paid Mexican importation tax on, such as solar power and water pumping equipment, appliances, building supplies, outdoor furniture etc. The subject of our immigration status never comes up and Aduana seems happy to accept the Import tax money at the border.

With each of our property purchases over the past 17 years the Notario has made copies of our current tourist cards to add to our Title documents and fideicomisos. In fact he always says "make sure your tourist card is current when you come to sign your property papers."

In the past the big focus was on people who left beind vehicles, trailers, and boats in Mexico that they have not legally imported in to the country. But even FM3 holders could fall in to that category!
Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2006 at 07:11 AM
FMT/FM3

Interesting discussion...living six months in La Paz and six months in CA, we utilize an FMT. We owned a home in Todos Santos, rented property, and have our sailboat in the marina (7 years). The boat is properly imported. Never have we been told that the FMT is not correct. Again, in Mexico, the law depends upon who you are talking to. I'd bet that 90% of the boats in the marinas down here are owned by persons with an FMT as the owners come on and off each year. As to getting the FM3 for "giving back" to Mexico, we spend thousands of dollars (pesos) each year enjoying this country and employing locals. When hurricane Marty hit, La Paz was hit hard economically without the boaters/tourists, most who have FMTs. Then again, there are quite a number of FM3 holders who want to live cheaply in Mexico and do not spread the dollars around. The aforementioned poster who won't qualify for an FM3 is certainly "giving back" as are all of us with FMTs and FM3s. I have participated in local charities, taught English, carried materials for local churches in my truck, loaned $, given $, etc. All on an FMT. Most others do the same. I suspect "giving back" is more dependent upon the individual, not a piece of paper. Also, many get the FM3 so they can participate in the IMSS social security health benefits, senior discounts, etc. That's taking, not giving. FMT holders do not qualify.

As a footnote, my wife and I are getting the FM3 here in La Paz this year, however for political reasons, not to imbibe on the country's generosity.
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2006 at 07:26 AM

The guy who does our FM3's told us just last week that after 5 years of FM3's (which have all of your comings and goings stamped in them if you travel by air) you meet the out of the country time limit restrictions( i. e. have not been out of the country more than an FM2 allows) you can go straight to imagrado. He called someone in Mex city to obtain this information. BUT as we all say over and over again...it is different in each location and even within the same office.

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 3-14-2006 at 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mexibob
I chose to complete the process to become an immigrant. I feel it is a small way to pay back the opprotunity to live in this country.

It's my opinion that if you are to live here you should give the most back that you can, and not be one that takes advantage of the country while living here on a VISA.

As far as reporting and limitations are concerned. If I move from my 'registered' location, get married or take a job, I need to notify the proper officials.

During the ten year process I was never told there was a time period that I could be in or out of the country.

With the immigrant status I can't hold a political position, can't serve alcohol or have a government job. All of above that really aren't an interest to me anyway.

I can't vote either.

Other than costing one a few thousand dollars, a lot of paperwork, ten years of waiting, a lot of anguish when the rules are changed and just doing the dance, it is worth the process if you truely want to give back.

it seems that you give more back by keeping your FM3. at least you pay every year to renew.

what do you give back by being an immigrant?:?:

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

mexibob
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2006 at 02:45 PM

it seems that you give more back by keeping your FM3. at least you pay every year to renew.

what do you give back by being an immigrant?

The process for me took ten years, that's ten years of renewal fees and passports. The FM3 is completed after five years. What does one do, renew the FM3 or move forward to somenthing new?

You ask what I give back, I'll tell you. By going through the process I have demonstrated to the people of this country that I share the same feelings they do about Mexico. I show them that an American can adapt to their lifestyle and culture.

I am proud to have this status. It shows patience and perserverance to getting the job done. It shows that I am willing to adapt and overcome what it takes to be a part of their society. I offer my services to those that want it and ask for nothing in return. My hand is out, but it is out in offering, not taking.

I expect we all could ask what we give to a community or society. Fortunately I can articulate what it is that I give, can you?

I know I've done the right thing when the people of this country learn that I have become a part of their society. They feel good that someone has taken the chance to join them, someone from the land of plenty has given it up to be with them.
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 3-14-2006 at 03:38 PM

Mexibob

Very well said, I agree completely as I am going through the same process.
I wish that more people who live in Mexico would take as seriously as you are. Good for you.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
jeffg
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2006 at 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Marinero
Quote:
Originally posted by elizabeth
Quote:
Originally posted by bajajudy
Someone posted on here that the 6 months was good every time that you renewed. Any truth to that?

I checked that with the local consulate and with Ajijiclaw.com and they both said no...one time only.

My wife and I got our initial FM-3's at the Mexican consulate in San Diego. They told us that a Menaje de Casa had to be issued within 6 months, but that it could also be issued within 6 months of renewal (if not already used). They were clear though, that it was 1 menaje per family, we could not get one for me, then one in my wifes name the next year. (I suspect that the interpretation of the regulations is different in each consulate / immigration office.)

It all was pretty much a moot point though, we did try to use our Menaje de Casa. Paid the fees, paperwork and manifests were all approved by the Mexican Consulate in San Diego. Crossed at Otay with our trailer load of stuff (maybe 3-4K value). Customs said we needed a broker, then the broker said the menaje was invalid, but maybe we should come back tomorrow. Back to customs, sent to another broker, again they didn't want to deal with it, but maybe in 4-5 hours they could work on it. Or maybe tomorrow. Anyway, to make a long story short, after about 4 hours we gave up, threw the menaje in the trash, and paid the duty and brokers fee on a value of about $900 (their valuation).

Good luck!

Jeff
bancoduo
Banned

[*] posted on 3-14-2006 at 08:08 PM

what are you giving back?
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2006 at 08:56 AM

"Anyway, to make a long story short, after about 4 hours we gave up, threw the menaje in the trash, and paid the duty and brokers fee "

This has been the experience of friends who tried to use the Menaje.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2006 at 01:14 AM

the only way i would get a fm2 is buying land no more fedo ..
that another way of givin something back.. back pocket

have a good one jerry

jerry and judi
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2006 at 07:03 AM

Sorry Jerry but you still have to pay with an FM2. With immigrado status, you do not have to pay.

Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2006 at 07:46 AM

Quote:
Sorry Jerry but you still have to pay with an FM2. With immigrado status, you do not have to pay.

Who told you that? Only citizens can own fee simple (in the exclusion zone).

vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 3-16-2006 at 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
Quote:

Who told you that? Only citizens can own fee simple (in the exclusion zone).

Correct Dave. You have to get naturalized to have that exclusion. Then you can own property anywhere and also vote. Inmigrado status just gets you out of the yearly renewal hassle. But it makes you able to have a business and work.
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2006 at 08:34 AM

I dont remember exactly who but they were going to La Paz to do the paperwork and said that it had taken 6 months but would be worth it.
I will check into it and see if, in fact, that is true.

bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2006 at 08:37 AM

You are both correct. I used the wrong word. They had become naturalized(is that a word?)

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 3-16-2006 at 08:42 AM

I find that asking for Immigration advice is like asking someone what is there favorite Chili recipe. every has there own opinion of what it should be and how to go about getting those results.

what ever works for you is fine but for advice try the Immigration website

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2006 at 08:51 AM

oops i was mistaken what i meant to say was citizen and i was told that one can keep there us citizenship too

but the guy who told me that uses chile beans and i use kidney beans:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
have a good one jerry

jerry and judi
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.