BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Out-of-Print Books, Magazines, Maps about Baja; and SW Americana
rockman
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2006 at 12:18 PM
Out-of-Print Books, Magazines, Maps about Baja; and SW Americana

Dedicated collector of Baja Books, Periodicals, maps, and SW Americana has more than 200 duplicates to trade or sell.
I will be happy to send you my tradelist/wantlist.
Most of my duplicate material is out-of-print and hard-to-find.

I have also compiled Indexes to Baja-related articles in many publications, such as Desert Magazine, the various Baja glossy magazines (Baja Life, etc), Rock & Mineral magazines, Calif Academy of Sciences, Journal of San Diego History, Baja Symposia, Pacific Coast Archaeological Soc, and various Baja Geological Compendia.
These are FREE and may be emailed.

Let me know your interests.

Contact me directly at normanc@olypen.com .

[Edited on 3-13-2006 by rockman]

Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 3-13-2006 at 12:36 PM
rockman....

I also have many early Baja hand-made maps of Baja inland and along the shorelines of the Sea of Cortez. These were mostly made in the fifties and sixties.

Like yourself, I would gladly email these out for free. Not in Baja right now, but will return shortly and can email you or any others are interested.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
rockman
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2006 at 01:00 PM

My own interest in Baja maps is geological; related to mineralogy, rockhounding, hot springs/geothermal, etc.

It is best to communicate direct (normanc@olypen.com ), rather than thru BajaNomad since I am on an old dial-up connection (thanks to Qwest), and every kbit slows me down.

Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 3-13-2006 at 01:45 PM

rockhound...geologically inclined? So was my early interest in Baja....my old Baja companion was a professor of geology from Oregon...name of Staples...He was the father of a friend of mine who shared the old casa grande with me at Pta. Chivato for a few years. We did quite a bit of rockhounding together...also helped locate geothermal digs near Sta. Rosalia and further south at Santispac. (that was subsequently capped until future use warrants re-openng.) Another one on the hilltop overlooking Posada by way of another water-guy from California. Very interesting applications today...especially the geothermal facility near Tres Virgenes.

Then another old Baja amigo was JW Black, who, among other talents, was also a water-witcher and found some remote deep-water wells for area ranchers. Dug one behind Rcho Coyote about 90 feet down...all by hand and windlass. We also found and made rock enclosures around a few hot springs in Conception Bay areas.

Then there was the fire-opal miner up near El Arco mine area...ah, those trips into the mountains!

There is always something in Baja for everyone to enjoy, right? Your collection sounds very interesting and I look forward to many conversations. Bueno suerte.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-13-2006 at 07:56 PM

Roger, FYI... I bought a copy of Uncle Erle's 'Hunting the Desert Whale' from Norm (Rockman)... When I got a copy of Norm's list of Baja publications he was seeking, I was stunned to see the road guide I wrote in 1974 on his wish list... We made a good trade... My old Baja guidebook for the Howard Gulick maps and notes on the El Camino Real!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.