BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Metal Cover for my TT in Loreto
djh
Senior Nomad

Mood: Mellow fellow, plays a yellow cello...

[*] posted on 3-18-2006 at 10:38 AM
Metal Cover for my TT in Loreto

Hola,

I'd like to build (or have built) a metal roof-cover over my 27' travel trailer in Loreto.

I'd prefer Aluminum roofing and framing (less rust, lighter).

Couple of ?'s...

1. Are aluminum roofing and framing materials available somewhere in Baja Sur? (I'll drive down next trip, so I could actually buy some in N. Baja too if necessary.)

2. I'm thinking about building aluminum "trusses" that will sit on the trailer roof, stringers that connect them, and then the aluminum roofing screwed or riveted to the stringers...

I want to add shade & allow for air space for a little air to move through... I love the look of a palapa roof, but don't want the fire danger and critters. All metal construction would also eliminate the termite factor. Trusses sitting on the roof (secured to the trailer via tie-downs) would prevent the need for portable garage type framing to the ground and allow me to move the trlr. easier when time comes to build on our property...

I'd appreciate any experienced insights on materials, sources, and also perhaps if you know of a local Loreto craftsman who'd like to do this small project for me... I can build it myself, but am also happy to support a dependable local worker who can do a quality job if you know of someone with this type of experience and skill.

I'll likely do this project the third and fourth weeks of June...
thanks!
:)
djh

Thanks.

Its all just stuff and some numbers.
A day spent sailing isn\'t deducted from one\'s life.
Peace, Love, and Music
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 3-18-2006 at 11:18 AM

actually that would kinda of being in an oven...

metal gets pretty hot...

the idea is right for the framing but the roof should be something that will not act as a heater.

also have you ever heard a metal roof like that in the wind...noisey

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
djh
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2006 at 02:32 PM

Well, Bob,

The top of the TT is already Metal.... If I add a WHITE (reflects more sunlight than a dark metal) aluminum roof over it about 3 to 5 feet, I will have shade on the trailer roof rather than direct sunlight... And with air space between and a little air movement, it will be an improvement.... at least that's my theory....

(IE the oven effect would be directly under the aluminum roof, with space for heat dissipation..... rather than inside the trailer....)... Running tha AC all the time seems a bit wasteful...

Have you done such a project? This is all conjecture at this point for me, so I welcome any experiences you've had.

Thanks!
djh

Peace, Love, and Music
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2006 at 03:07 PM

yep...here in Upland...noisey

covered the boat..it did save the boat from the rays of the sun

our website is:
meme
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-19-2006 at 08:51 AM

I have a metal roof over my back patio(looks kinda like roof tile) and it's hot under it iin hot weather and noisy when it rains. Also when the critters(birds) get on it catching bugs. Think I would not be liking living directly under it.
Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-19-2006 at 09:27 AM

Maybe you can set up your affordable, portable metal carport that goes over your trailer and some extra hanging over the side for sitting shade, run some strips of lumber the length of the top spaced about 2 feet apart, and screw on just enough palm fronds to the strips to shield the whole thing from the sun and make it look good but not enough for any real fire danger (also, the metal will help with that by acting as a fire shield). I've seen the strips and fronds thing done with a van. Sandwich some low R-value insulation under the bottom of the metal with some 1/4 inch plywood screwed to the truss type poles. Run a few strips of lumber over the plywood to keep it from flapping in the wind. When the lease gets to be too much, just unbolt the thing and go.

This is just conjecture on my part; I have no experience in the matter. Maybe someday I will.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-19-2006 at 09:33 AM

David

If I had to do it again I wouldn't "cheap-out"
Time moves so quickly....all of a sudden 18 years has passed...

I would space 14-16 foot 2x6's 16 inches apart...bolt EVERYTHING

use T-111 siding for the roof...it looks like ship-lap from the bottom.

Angle it 1/4" to every foot of span for water drain-off.

Use 90 lb felt and that rocky kind of roll roofing.

Dont forget to paint the wood...Most in mexico forget to paint new construction until it's too late..

Labors cheap and if you guide workers you will have a quality product.

ps you'll never take it with you later...too much effort:lol:

our website is:
Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-19-2006 at 09:41 AM

"ps you'll never take it with you later...too much effort"

But I would not tempt the owners with a fancy structure. My shade structure may not make it back to the States, but I am not going to reward the owners for increasing my lease too much by giving them a cinder block mansion.

On second thought, Bob and Susan's idea might not cost that much. 2x6 pressure treated lumber is pretty affordable. Cinder block posts are do-able. The bolts are portable and affordable if you shop at a place like Blue Collar Supply in Sacramento.

But on third thought. On the Sacramento Delta, I have seen the skimpiest shade stucture last and last with a couple of cheapo bamboo blinds thrown over the tarpoline top. They just roll up the bamboo blinds and take down the tarps during the off-season.

[Edited on 07/17/2004 by Packoderm]
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-19-2006 at 09:50 AM

i hear you...:D

our website is:
Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-19-2006 at 10:11 AM

Bob and Susan, I read your project updates regularly. Thanks for posting them.

I'd like to see somebody someday replicate what Doc had going at Camp Gecko a while back. The magic of Camp Gecko was that we, the commoners, working folk with obligations, got to experience what I believe to be the closest thing to beachfront cabin living without making the big plunge.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-19-2006 at 10:23 AM

if in Mulege try my neighbors place....you'll be RIGHT ON THE WATER...

http://www.mulege.org/naranjos/naranjos.htm

...mexray has place here...right on the water....NICE!!!

price is right too...

our website is:
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-19-2006 at 10:29 AM

Dave

please e me at home

Capt. George

\"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men\" Plato
djh
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2006 at 08:04 PM

Thanks for the discussion & input.

I "own" the property in Loreto, so leaving something for the owners wouldn't be a concern, Packoderm, but good thoughts....

I do want to keep it simple and at least somewhat portable, however since I plan to build down the road a little.... and will likely move the TT to a different spot on the lot.

Have any of you ever seen the "porta garage" (with metal roofing) type structures for sale anywhere in Baja?

I imagine buying one stateside and taking it across the border to assemble would be a bit more... entailed...?? but perhaps an option. (thoughts ? )

BTW... a nice surprise... standing on the roof of the TT, I get a few nice peeks of the Sea of Cortez about a block away. An inspiring vision of what a simple but well thought out 2-story home will offer in the years ahead !

thanks.
djh

Peace, Love, and Music
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-26-2006 at 07:25 PM

glad you get to see the sea!!

george

heading to states on Wednesday

\"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men\" Plato

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.