Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Sierra de la Giganta Expedition
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2003 at 10:01 AM
Sierra de la Giganta Expedition

Hey Everyone-

Check out the following at http://www.kpbs.org/Radio/DynPage.php?id=793

KPBS is teaming up with the San Diego Natural History Museum for a expedition to Southern Baja California in November. The team which includes over 30 scientists from the U.S. and Mexico will spend three weeks in a relatively unexplored mountainous area called Sierra de la Giganta. The goal of the expedition is to survey the unusual mammals, birds, insects, snakes and plants that live there. That data will be used to design a conservation plan by Mexican and American conservation groups to encourage the Mexican government to protect the region.

KPBS reporter Eric Niiler - armed with a notebook, microphone, and camera - will be joining the expedition from November 7 through November 16. Starting Monday, November 10, Niiler plans to send daily updates and photos from the expedition to KPBS.

Niiler will also be joined by two videographers, who will document the expedition for a KPBS television program set to air in 2004.

Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2003 at 10:38 AM

Bajaboy: Have you been able to determine if the group is supported by the Sierra Club and whether are not the Scientist are open minded people with not political Agend. It would been interesting to see a background resume on each one.
Sounds like a good project, It tood me 10, years and 10 flights around that mountain to see 3 Big Horn Sheep.{1986}
I would look forward to an unbaisied and Factual Report.Skeet/Loreto
Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2003 at 10:46 AM
Bighorn Sheep

Skeet, we have to get together for a trip up there. I know a place where they keep em in a corral to protect em from the Pumas.
And, you are correct in your question regarding their background. I have a feeling that in spite of their being scientists, Achademic Anarchist would be sick at what all these people are about to do.
I can only pray the guides don't show them all of the areas. It would be a shame.
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 11-10-2003 at 12:57 PM

Their stated goal is to learn more about the area in question so they can help to PROTECT it! It is a pity that there are many for whom the glass is always half empty. Cheer up and think positive, for a change!!!!

elgatoloco
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 11-10-2003 at 01:03 PM

Click here for a list of people involved

http://www.kpbs.org/Radio/DynPage.php?id=798

Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 11-10-2003 at 01:20 PM

Click here for updates on all the stuff the evil scientists are learning

http://www.kpbs.org/Radio/DynPage.php?id=797

of course FONATUR (mexican government) will probaly use the info to build a four lane highway for easy gringo access to the golf resort/marina that they will add to thier big plan

egl
jide
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2003 at 01:21 PM
update

here's for the badmouthing "uninformed" //www.sdnhm.org/research/aguaverde/log11-9.html#five
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2003 at 01:24 PM

"That data will be used to design a conservation plan by Mexican and American conservation groups to encourage the Mexican government to protect the region."

What a joke! The only way to "encourage" Mexico to protect it's enviorns is to stick a gun to its head.
:fire:

Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2003 at 02:09 PM
There goes the neighborhood

I can already picture the spoiled , rich American tree hugging coke heads with their signs along the Carretera. Save the "Eucnide Tenella". I think maybe if they were to go poke around in Nopolo, they might do some good. Otherwise, it's just another crock of dung to go on a paid vacation to somewhere that isn't particularly any of their business. Excluding the Mexicans tagging along of course.:fire:
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 11-10-2003 at 02:20 PM

If and when a time comes to take a stand, would you rather do it with ignorance? "The goal of the expedition is to survey the unusual mammals, birds, insects, snakes and plants that live there." Mines, agave fields, cattle and sheep, grazing, sand and rock quarries are a few of the threats.
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2003 at 02:38 PM

Wow-It was not my intention to start a political discussion. Nope, I thought I was sharing a great opportunity to travel along with a group as they explore a remote part of Baja.

Didn't your mama tell you that politics and religion are not good topics to discuss at a party?

Viva la fiesta!
Zac

[Edited on 11-10-2003 by Bajaboy]

Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2003 at 02:46 PM

Are a Few of the Theats"?

Sir I would certainlly hope that you would not Jump to concolusions by including me as being uniformed about the Mountain!
May I be so bold as to ask you to supply the date and time that you walked the Trail around that Mountain?

I was hoping that some of the people who were involved in the Kalmath Basin Fisco would not be involed along with the infamous Sierra Club in creating another False story.

It would be bery interesting to see if any of those "Investigators' have ever been to the Mountain with the Exception of Tim Means.

I would suggest that one person you migh talked to is one "Harry Crosby" and a few others that have a PHL{Dr. of Life}
I would also hope that you would look at the whole study from the Mexicano instead of Americano side of the issue.
Please do not make it a view that meets any pre judged notions spouted by the Envior-nuts or the Sierra Club.Skeet/Loreto.
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2003 at 02:57 PM

nd Others.

Please Please Please !! Any of you people going into this Area. Have REspect for one of the Last True places of Privacy!!
J. R. There is one beautifull small Water hole surronded by small trees that is fantastic.
It is my hope that he peop[le doing the survey are people of respect.Common Sense. We will only know after their report and Vido Stories.

Let Us all Hope that it will not be like CBS "The Reagans''

Please forgive me for being so bold but I do not want this thing to end up like so many of the so called Investigations end=not truthful Skeet/Loreto
Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2003 at 03:01 PM
Here we go

Americans, as a rule, tend to go into somewhere they don't belong, perhaps even with good intentions in the beginning and turn it into something different than it was. And generally, unless you consider developing the entire planet good and charging 3 to 10 times more for something than it is worth, it turns to "caca". (put that one in myself!) . And then they bail.
Here's where I tinckle off all of you but, do you think that other countries are blind when it comes to who has the most corrupt government, one of the worst education systems and highest rate of drug consumption, crime and addiction out of most anywhere on the planet.
All of the politicians lie publicly on a regular basis, the last Presidential election was a farce and now, an Action Figure for Governor. The court systems have absolutely nothing to do with truth, honesty, right and wrong but who has the most powerful attorney.
The rest of the world sees the U.S. as the most ridiculous country on the planet. And with fairly obvious reasons. We can't even get along with each other on a "Baja" message board of all things.
Yet we still insist on imposing our somewhat "barbaric" ways ( divorce rate and # of perverts ) on other countries because we have more money and a superior military.
Don't want to get sidetracked here but what is going on in that area down south is no different than any other endeavor/invasion of this type.
As far as using the information they find out down there, what if that Mansa de Plansa they find that has been curing cancer and most all other ailments for centuries is declared dangerous and illegal by some "U.S.FDA beaurocrat" and instead of them being able to get cured, they get put in jail.
Don't know what this word will be replaced with but,! intercourse that.
Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2003 at 03:37 PM
Thank you

And by the way BB, no matter any of our political views on this subject, I am sure we will all be glued to their story so muchas gracias.
jimmy smith
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2003 at 05:39 PM

Don't know why you folks are gettin' your panites in a wad over this,
I will state these folks with the Phd's behind their name know what they are doing. Hell, it"s their vocation.
I know several of them and can only grieve that I'm not on the treck. Good will come from this! Believe me!
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 11-10-2003 at 05:46 PM

JIMMY!!!!

I believe.

What these people are doing is very important work. We have to know what it is we (humans) have if we (humans) are going to take care of it.

I would like to know who else is more qualified then these folks that are on this trip.

Trust you are feeling well!! Say hello to Sally & Char

Matthew C. Pebley
elgatoloco
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2003 at 08:28 PM

Jimmy: Thanks for your Post and Info. I will take your word that these folks know what thet are doing and as you follow the Mexicano Custom of Speaking for them I will await their report.
In my Heart I would prefer that they leave it alone and let the People Amimals, and birds alone. It is so Isolated and beautiful. Thanks Skeet/Loreto
Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2003 at 11:36 PM
Respect

Jimmy, I as well respect what you have to say. If you have confidence in what these guys are doing then I am probably wrong in the way I think about this.
I will not say another negative word about what they are doing. In fact, if all goes well, I may be seeing them in about a week. Hope to stop by your place as well. Bamboo, remember ?
jimmy smith
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2003 at 07:38 PM

MY movement has been somewhat restricted since our hurricanes and I havn't looked at the bamboo recently. It always seems to survive.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.