BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Never too late to say good bye.......
beaumont6t6

Mood: just right

[*] posted on 3-21-2006 at 10:36 PM
Never too late to say good bye.......

The very last message I recieved through this forum was from JRbaja. It was in the spring of last year and I had written him asking about some info regarding one of the schools he was helping deliver some supplies to. We began a series of notes back and forth with an agreement made to maybe meet over lunch and throw back a few beers one day.
A few months later we were at Rancho Leonaro and decided to see if we could find this fellow one morning so headed to San Bartolo on the off chance he may be around. In a small store after asking questions about the bamboo man, an old fellow who knew the Rochin family said he would show us where to find JR.
We drove down a dirt road north of the microondas coming upon an old brick house with a metal roof. There was the bamboo mans truck with the hood up and someone was working on the engine.The fellow that got us to this spot said, there's the man you're looking for, do you know him? I said, not exactly but we've gotten this far, lets say hello.
Got out, walked over and said I was the mechanic here to fix his truck. Without looking up he mumbled he didn't need no damned mechanic and was quite capable of fixing it himself. I said I didn't think so and he looked up and said, what makes you so sure? Give me that beer you promised me and I may help you I said with a grin, him still not having a clue who I was. Once I explained who though, JR stuck out a greasy hand and we proceeded to spend most of an afternoon discussing all things baja with someone who was very sincere in his beliefs and convictions. It was a very enjoyable time and my wife and I made promises to hook up with him again, but time and other commitments didn't allow for it to happen.
I have spent this past year battling my own problem which is now in full remission and had no idea until very recently he had passed away. It's really only important to me I guess, but I feel richer for having met this man who has left a lasting impression on me. I am thankful that I made the effort to search him out and be able to share a moment in time with him.
To all his friends that were part of his life, those that he called family and those that never had the opportunity to meet him, I offer my belated condolences on his passing.
God speed my friend.

Tom
Kamloops
British Columbia
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-21-2006 at 10:43 PM

Thanks Tom for your first post here to share this with us... very nice.

[Edited on 3-22-2006 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2006 at 03:08 PM

Thank You Tom, Your kind words mean a lot to me, I can't begin to tell you how much I miss him. Carol

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.