BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Cielito Lindo (+ Bonus "Laura's" Review!)
Slowmad
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-29-2006 at 05:18 PM
Cielito Lindo (+ Bonus "Laura's" Review!)

Finally sampled the famous stone crab feed.
If this joint had seven dwarves they'd be Gritty, Oily, Greasy, Chewy, Chilly, Salty, and Shameful.
Seriously, with the sea's resources drying up at an exponential rate, there's no excuse for slapdash "Red Lobster" cuisine. If you don't honor the pescado (or mariscos, in this case), please stick to chicken. I'm beginning to think that sashimi prep is the only respectful way to deal with game fish, but damn do I enjoy some mesquite grilled sierra...or chilled stone crab claws cooked with love and a side of mustard remoulade.

Enough sniping. : the rest of the Cielito experience was perfectly Old Baja, particularly the on-the-dime service. Those meseros go the extra mile. Beyond that, the bar offers an honest pour, and we were pleasantly surprised by the final check tally (how often does that happen?)
Will definitely go there again--and again--just not for the crab.

Drove blindly to Gypsy's for the night, and awoke to a clean bathroom blockhouse with warmish shower water. Consumed two of their trademark manteca-and-name-yer-meat breakfast burros (at Laura's, not in the blockhouse). Buck each. Whatev. Coffee hot, view great, company (no one else) fine.
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-29-2006 at 06:12 PM

Thank you for posting your opinion. I have the same one of the crabs. That doesnt mean I would not go back, just wouldnt order crabs. They should be sweet and tender and not in need of all that red grit. Pomp said you could order them without the red stuff. Might try that!

Dianamo
Nomad

Mood: ...still in Baja

[*] posted on 3-29-2006 at 06:41 PM

I won't be going back or eating those crabs, ever again!...and neither will anyone who was in my party. We didn't enjoy the food, or the gastrointestinal 'mis-functions' that followed!:barf:

But I had some of the best fish taco's EVER:yes:, in San Quintin
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 3-29-2006 at 06:58 PM

Quote:

But I had some of the best fish taco's EVER:yes:, in San Quintin

where did you have some of the best fish taco's EVER:yes:, in San Quintin ?

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Bedman
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-29-2006 at 08:38 PM

Slowmad must be talking about Laura's Wet Buzzard Restaurant at the end of his Epicurean review of Cielito Lindo. I think it deserves a bit more than "Whatev" (was part of it missing?)

Laura's $1.00 burritos are a Best buy and Taste Treat and they do fish tacos as well as several other dishes.

Not sure what was going on with the shower's. I've always had Hot fresh water and plenty of it.

I am dissapointed in the maintenance of the Hotel and the rooms. Not too many compliments as of late. The Crabs? I usually have the Combo plate but have heard mostly good things about the crabs. Maybe I need to have a platter next week.

Bedman
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-29-2006 at 08:50 PM

Cielito Lindo's Famous Cracked Crab:

Yech! I had them twice... years apart to be sure it wasn't a fluke the first time (2001 and 2005), both times very disappointed... Lot's of work, cut fingers, stringy meat, paprika all over the place!

Drinks there are good and powerful, however... Maybe you need to get drunk before dinner, then it's the best damn crab in Mexico!!!:lol::lol::lol:

Laura's Wet Buzzard (Zopilote Mojado)* Cantina:
Best breakfast burrito in Baja (I have said for years)... It is the location too, and I really enjoy chorizo and eggs with salsa anywhere in Baja.

Here's Laura with my daughter (13 then) in '03...

* corrected per Roberto

[Edited on 4-1-2006 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 3-29-2006 at 09:09 PM

Haven't been back since I called it "Cielito Feo" years ago on the Amigos board. Got a lot of grief for that, but I stand by it. Sounds like I haven't missed anything.

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-30-2006 at 08:27 AM

Oso, maybe because back then it was owned and operated by nice folks and friends to many... Dave & Juanita (Porky Pig on Nomad)...?

Now that they sold the place, it's open season on the new owner??? LOL!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-30-2006 at 05:50 PM

i stoped by a few years ago after hearing about the crab and was told beforhand to order it steamed only no chily well it came out steamed then they put it on thegrill with peprica and chily and this dryed it out and burnt the meat to the shell
i sent it back telling them i wanted it steamed only and proceded to the kitchen and demonstrated what i wanted
the next batch was to die for sweet moist and easy to get out of the shell and the crab i sent back went to the next people waiting for crab
i went back once since and insisted on steamed only or really boiled and cought them just befor they added grease chily and peperica asthe just spread them across the grill but i saved them so next time insist on only steaming them and watch it closely or make sure they understand
have a good one jerry

jerry and judi
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-30-2006 at 07:58 PM

Like at Puerto Nuevo... they just don't know when to stop cooking shell fish!

Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-30-2006 at 08:07 PM

"epicurean" - Never heard that word before.

If a person is not careful, they might learn something around here.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 3-30-2006 at 08:14 PM

one of my favorite websites

http://www.epicurean.com/

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Oso
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-31-2006 at 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Oso, maybe because back then it was owned and operated by nice folks and friends to many... Dave & Juanita (Porky Pig on Nomad)...?

Now that they sold the place, it's open season on the new owner??? LOL!

Yeah, I remember they had a lot of defenders and I have no reason to doubt that they were nice people. But the room wasn't nice and wasn't worth half the price and that's just the fact of the matter.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-31-2006 at 09:20 AM

Yah, I understand... I stayed there one night in 2002 for M's BBBB #4 and the rooms were nice and big, but then it was downhill from there... a nice trail of ants going through the bathroom, almost like camping LOL! A 60's fisherman's motel for the 00's.

It does have (had?) a playground for the kids and the nearby animals and horseback riding...

BBBB #4: http://vivabaja.com/bbbb4

Here's a photo of Baja Bernie and I and you can see the rooms in the background...

[Edited on 3-31-2006 by David K]

Bajagato
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-31-2006 at 02:43 PM

Their rooms suck! Stayed there New Years Eve 2004 and all I wanted to do was go home (it was our last night in Baja after a week at BOLA). The rooms smelled so bad of mold that I was sure I was inhaling some kind of spore that was going to make me ill for sure. It sure has gone downhill since the first time I stayed there BBBB4. Still love the margueritas though, and tried the crab once, I enjoyed it except for the 14 trips to wash my hands during dinner, they are messy!
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 3-31-2006 at 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Oso
Haven't been back since I called it "Cielito Feo" years ago on the Amigos board. Got a lot of grief for that, but I stand by it. Sounds like I haven't missed anything.

Not sure about the "open season" comment, but the place sucks, plain and simple. Bedman is very diplomatic, but I'm not.

1. The food is horrible, starting with the crab, and ending with just about anything.
2. The booze equally. Strong yes, but the famous margaritas taste like they're made with the cheapest possible tequila available and have some colored water added to them. Yech.
3. The rooms smell, and are dirty.

A place to stay away from for sure. Feo is being nice, Oso.

Laura's is great, great place to camp, great beach, good food. But a buzzard is a zopilote, not zapalote.

[Edited on 3-31-2006 by Roberto]
Oso
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-31-2006 at 04:58 PM

I also got a lot of grief about my comment on the lousy hamburger and why didn't I try the "wonderful" crab legs and "fantastic" margaritas. Sorry, I'm allergic to crab and like most Mexican "real men", I think margs are for women and maricones. I like my tequila straight.:lol:

Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 3-31-2006 at 05:09 PM
Oso

All booze should be taken straight--eliminates all of the problems the next day!

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 3-31-2006 at 05:22 PM
Whoa!!!!!---------Bernie

-----I have had just the opposite experience. 2 oz of booze, 2oz of mixer, and the rest just water-----no hangovers at all.

straight shots----------horrible hangover!!!! guaranteed. :lol:
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 3-31-2006 at 05:30 PM
Oso, I drink margaritas AND shots!

And the last time I checked, there was still something hanging between my legs. :P

The margaritas at CL are high octane. We think it's the Controy that gets you the next day 'cause we have "called" Hornitos and they are still a wicked hangover.

I'm probably the only guy who actually brings Cointreau with me on my trips to mexico. Controy in even moderate quantities is muy malo......

Have to agree about the crab.......just soooo overcooked there.

[Edited on 4-1-2006 by Hook]

[Edited on 4-1-2006 by Hook]
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.