BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: Mexican Federal Authority suspend ALL AEROCALIFORNIA operations
aldosalato
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-2-2006 at 01:12 PM
Mexican Federal Authority suspend ALL AEROCALIFORNIA operations

DIfficult there will be salvation. Other airlines will pick up the routes.
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-2-2006 at 02:12 PM

Oh Great!

Paula had tickets...there goes her trip to North Dakota!:lol:
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-2-2006 at 02:44 PM
True

http://www.cronica.com.mx/nota.php?idc=234309

If you search Google.com.mx News you'll find more articles.

Apparently inspectors found their aging fleet a risk to passengers and employees.

It's interesting that Mexicam government officials acted, based on their inspectors' reports. Aerocalifornia is subject to US FAA rules, I believe, since they operate out of LAX. Apparently the FAA standards are either not as rigid, or not as rigidly enforced. Something to think about when flying any US airline.:lol:

Paula does have an aerocal ticket for later this month, to LAX for connections, but not to ND. :)
Unfortunately, Alaska's schedule is set for California folks, and does not allow for many connections elsewhere.
Juan del Rio
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-2-2006 at 05:57 PM
Alaska Airlines to Loreto Filing fast...

I waited for thirty minutes this afternoon trying to get through to Aero California's office in La Paz...no luck. I have to be in Baja the week of April 23rd and have three tickets on Aero California. They had one ticket left this afternoon, round trip at $518.40 from LAX for 4/23-30 and that wasn't even First Class. If you have to be down in Loreto or surrounding areas the next few weeks, better check Alaska as soon as possible!
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 4-2-2006 at 06:03 PM

...or drive...

....or call capt mike...:lol:

[Edited on 4-3-2006 by Bob and Susan]

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
tim40
Senior Nomad

Mood: There yet?

[*] posted on 4-2-2006 at 09:29 PM

For those conveying a desire for Loreto to slow down a bit on expansion this could have a material impact. AK AL is not enough and generally have had much higher fares.... now the price for safety, that is another question,

When searching for the end of your rainbow you only have until dusk....
marla
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-2-2006 at 09:34 PM
Aero California

Aero California
LOS ANGELES (CNS) - Some passengers were stranded at Los Angeles International Airport today when the Mexican airline Aero California canceled all flights without explanation, according to broadcast reports.
All of the airline?s flights were canceled, including five at LAX, and travelers were not given a reason, KCAL9 reported.
Most passengers were not given refunds either, according to the TV station.
Ticket agents told some passengers the airline had gone bankrupt, but a Mexican newspaper reported the airline was grounded for safety and security reasons after failing to fix problems found during an inspection a year ago, KCAL reported.
?This is the worst handled thing I?ve ever seen,? one frustrated traveler at LAX told KCAL.

CNS-04-2-2006 21:10

If a man walks in the woods for love of them half of each day, he is in danger of being regarded as a loafer. But if he spends his days as a speculator, shearing off those woods and making the earth bald before her time, he is deemed an industrious and enterprising citizen. Henry David Thoreau
Sallysouth
Super Nomad

Mood: missing Baja...

[*] posted on 4-2-2006 at 09:52 PM

Last time I flew with Areocal (and I mean the LAST time) from San Diego to Loreto, they canceled the flight at the gate as we were ready to board the plane.My ride had left long ago, all my cash was in Loreto and I did not have any credit cards with me. In hindsight, it was very poor planning on my part because you never know what may happen when traveling.However, this was supposed to be an hour and a half(?) flight, and I would be fine.Oh, but NO!!! Bussed to a motel in San Diego for the night, a dinner at the motels diner (awful, and I had soup and salad,all my voucher would provide)and bussed to T.J. the next morning.Then we took a flight to La Paz,not Loreto,and were bussed to Loreto from there.The whole trip took two days to get there.I vowed never to fly with them again, and I never will.I hope they go out of biz,as there never was an appology,explanation, warning,nothing!! Rude and unprofessional is how I would describe my experience.At least those people at LAX didn't get what I got. Areocal sucks, IMO. Nuf said.....SS (Good greif! I remebered that my experience was with Aeromexico,NOT Areocal.My appologies! And yes, Don Alley,there are some really nice people in Loreto that work for Aerocal and my sympathies go out to them if they shut down.)

[Edited on 4-6-2006 by Sallysouth]

Happiness is just a Baja memory away...
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2006 at 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sallysouth
Last time I flew with Areocal (and I mean the LAST time) from San Diego to Loreto, they canceled the flight at the gate as we were ready to board the plane.My ride had left long ago, all my cash was in Loreto and I did not have any credit cards with me. In hindsight, it was very poor planning on my part because you never know what may happen when traveling.However, this was supposed to be an hour and a half(?) flight, and I would be fine.Oh, but NO!!! Bussed to a motel in San Diego for the night, a dinner at the motels diner (awful, and I had soup and salad,all my voucher would provide)and bussed to T.J. the next morning.Then we took a flight to La Paz,not Loreto,and were bussed to Loreto from there.The whole trip took two days to get there.I vowed never to fly with them again, and I never will.I hope they go out of biz,as there never was an appology,explanation, warning,nothing!! Rude and unprofessional is how I would describe my experience.At least those people at LAX didn't get what I got. Areocal sucks, IMO. Nuf said.....SS

But I've had bad experiences with Alaska and their subsidiary, Horizon, including being stranded in the wrong town. And, unlike Aerocal, no vouchers. No bus. No motel. No meal. No alternate flight. Just, well, here you are in Klamath Falls, get to Medford however you can, you figure it out. And many other goofy things. So far, no problems for myself, friends and family with Aerocal, but many with Alaska and also Delta.

So, well, maybe it would be a little more, um, balanced and fair to say THEY ALL SUCK!:lol:

Maybe we're out 250 bucks and the first leg of my wife's upcoming trip is complicated, but some nice folks here in Loreto are out of a job. Bummer, IMO.

OK, a post on Allcoast says Aerocal's US folks say canceled flight ticket holders will be rescheduled, and flights will resume in a couple of days. Whatever, we'll see.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 4-3-2006 at 07:06 AM
Don Alley & Paula....here is a carrier for your North Dakota flight.

Just make sure you don't fly anywhere near Cousin Rufus.....cuz he's out duck hunting without his eyeglasses agin.

(..actually, this was a crashed DC-3 enroute from Alaska to States in the Sixties)

[Edited on 4-3-2006 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
KAT54
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2006 at 07:07 AM

Are the other airlines honoring the areocal tickets?
Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2006 at 07:33 AM

Pompano

Your welcome to come visit us in Montana, but the dog ate my ticket to North Dakota.

BajaNews
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 4-3-2006 at 08:00 AM
Mexico Suspends Regional Airline

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-airline3...

Aerocalifornia failed safety inspections, officials say. Hundreds are stranded at LAX.

April, 3 2006

MEXICO CITY ? Mexican authorities said Sunday they had halted flights by regional airline Aerocalifornia because of safety concerns after inspections showed serious deficiencies.

The transport ministry said Aerocalifornia operations were suspended after inspections showed it had failed to make improvements ordered under a review 15 months ago.

The private, low-cost airline, based in La Paz, Baja California Sur, operates flights between several Mexican cities and Los Angeles International and Tucson International airports.

Paul Haney, a spokesman for LAX, said the company runs about 50 departures a week to Mazatlan, Guadalajara and Durango and other cities.

The unexpected grounding left several hundred passengers stranded at LAX.

"I've never seen anything like it," said an exasperated Brian d'Autremont, 49, a passenger on a jet bound for Cabo San Lucas that got as far as the taxiway before returning to the terminal without explanation.

After the first inspection the airline had grounded a third of its fleet and was "cannibalizing" parts from those planes to keep the rest operating, the transport ministry said. It provided no further details on safety problems.

Airline officials could not be reached for comment.

[Edited on 4-3-2006 by BajaNews]
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2006 at 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paula
Pompano

Your welcome to come visit us in Montana, but the dog ate my ticket to North Dakota.

The dog ate one of those newfangled "electronic" tickets. Now I have to reprogram my dog.
Before:

After eating Big Sky Airlines E-Ticket:

And now back to our regular scheduled program: The Aerocalifornia Story, starring Jimmy Stewart and Spencer Tracy.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2006 at 08:12 AM

It comes as no surprise to us old-timers that AeroCalifornia is being shut down.....we have made the mistake of flying AeroCalifornia over the years.. they have 'lost' our luggage, canceled flights with no refunds, made unprofessional rapid, ear-damaging descents, and have poor aircraft maintenance. I don't know anyone who would fly with them for many years now. Their world-wide rating amongst airliners is consistent...they are at the bottom.

Paula...That dog has shown good sense...keep him handy for future ticket solutions to ND.

North Dakotans cannot travel to Montana just yet. Our last ND governor put this billboard sign up on our ND/MT border....

"Thinking of leaving North Dakota? Custer Did."

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2006 at 08:23 AM
Walking out of Montana....to warm North Dakota.

this is how I met my wife...walking back to ND.....she was the sole survivor of a trip into frozen Montana.

She 'may' have been flying AeroCalifornia.....:rolleyes:

Juan del Rio
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2006 at 08:57 AM
Maybe flying Tuesday again...

I was able to get in touch with Aero California's Flight Operation Office at LAX this morning. The young lady said flights were cancelled for today, but would resume tomorrow, Tuesday, April 4th.
BajaNews
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 4-3-2006 at 09:37 AM
Update

http://www.latimes.com/business/investing/wire/sns-ap-mexico...

By IOAN GRILLO, Associated Press Writer
8:01 AM PDT, April 3, 2006

MEXICO CITY -- Mexican aviation officials have suspended operations at Aerocalifornia after determining that the low-cost carrier failed to meet safety standards.

The airline offered flights to 22 Mexican cities and Los Angeles.

ADVERTISEMENT
The Civil Aviation Department announced the closure in a news release late Sunday, saying the agency "has determined that this airline no longer guarantees that operations meet safety standards."

Department and airline spokesmen were not immediately available for comment.

A woman answering the telephone at an Aerocalifornia office in La Paz, where the airline is based, referred a caller to a different office, where no one answered the telephone.

At a sales office in Mexico City, several frustrated customers were lining up to look for ways to get to their destinations after their flights were canceled.

"It was a big surprise. They didn't call or anything to advise me that it was canceled," said Enrique Zuniga, a 58-year-old education writer who had been booked on a 2,400-peso ($220) flight Monday from Mexico City to his home city of Chihuahua.

"I hope they have the good will to compensate me somehow."

The suspension follows several inspections by federal authorities beginning more than a year ago, when the airline was instructed to make a series of changes to improve operations.

One of the inspections showed that the airline had a third of its fleet grounded and was taking parts from decommissioned airplanes to keep others operating, the department said.

The federal agency reportedly has given the airline an unspecified amount of time to correct problems in order to restart operations.

Aerocalifornia was one of several low-cost airlines to emerge in recent years, offering passengers cheaper alternatives to the country's dominant Aeromexico and Mexicana carriers.

"We hope the airline will be able to resolve the problems as soon as possible and will be able to begin operating again -- but under the highest security standards," President Vicente Fox's spokesman, Ruben Aguilar, said Monday.
Slowmad
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2006 at 09:44 AM
Scare-o-cal Grounded

Great.
Was dropping down to the tip on Sunday for a week.
First time my agent ever put me on Scare-o, and this happens.
As it stands, my billfold is feeling about 1500 light (three round trips).
Air travel has become more and more abusive worldwide.
The going-through-the-motions, triple-redundant security is particularly cuckoo.
Let alone the "customer service" that treats you like a fool for doing business with any given carrier.
Cannibilizing parts from their own rolling stock--par for the course.

:mad:
awfulart
Nomad

Mood: Wondering what our Nit-Wit elected officials are doing now?

[*] posted on 4-3-2006 at 09:46 AM

I thought Aero Mexico was flying to Loreto out of San Diego??

Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.