BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Optimized Baja Vehicle?
gringorio
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2006 at 07:24 AM
Optimized Baja Vehicle?

I don?t go off-roading and I don?t want to buy a truck but I do like to get to out of the way places in Baja on some rough dirt roads. I?ve had some close calls with my Subaru?s low clearance and some sharp rocks so I am considering putting a lift kit on it ? see photo for an example.

Has anyone seen this or know of anyone who has done this modification? For what I do this would make my car the ultimate Baja vehicle? What?s yours?

gringorio

:bounce:

oh yeah, here's a link to a company that makes the kit: http://www.scorpionsubaru.com/photos.htm

[Edited on 4-3-2006 by gringorio]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-3-2006 at 07:31 AM

Greg, I do love Subarus (at least the ones made 20 years ago)... I owned three and put over 100,000 miles on each... much in Baja.

Ground clearance was an issue (only 13" tires then), but I got through to many places... even to Gonzaga over the old road south of Puertecitos in '79... my exhaust system is still on the thirs 'sister' somewhere!

I find in unfortunate that they went from part time FWD/4WD to AWD without the LOW Range... That made the Suby go almost anywhere...

When you raise the rig, you lose high speed handling... so keep that in mind... Think about a serious SUV or truck for the next vehicle you buy... You know what I love now, for Baja!

Here's my first Suby, stuck in the rising Arroyo Matomi in '78...

[Edited on 4-3-2006 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2006 at 07:35 AM

In '79, south of Gonzaga in Calamajue Canyon...

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2006 at 07:39 AM

My 2nd Subaru, a 1980... in Parral (Azufre Wash)

SoCalAl
Nomad

Mood: Hungry

[*] posted on 4-3-2006 at 07:51 AM

David you are just an all around Baja Cowboy... Yeaa Hahhhh!!!

Ahh Baja.... Where you can hear yourself think & commingling with the locals will humble you.
eetdrt88
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2006 at 09:54 AM

those are some classic photos David;);)....those pics of the doctored up subaru make it look like kinda like a jeep cherokee

[Edited on 4-3-2006 by eetdrt88]

wornout
Senior Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days

[*] posted on 4-3-2006 at 10:21 AM

This was my favorite Baja Vehicle until this day. I sold it right after this. Remember that day Lou? You were driving AFTER I got it stuck. Note to David, this is real close to Shell Beach and I know you know where.

This Space Available, E-Mail Me If Interested.
wornout
Senior Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days

[*] posted on 4-3-2006 at 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by wornout
This was my favorite Baja Vehicle until this day. I sold it right after this. Remember that day Lou? You were driving AFTER I got it stuck. Note to David, this is real close to Shell Beach and I know you know where.

We did get it out!

[Edited on 4-3-2006 by wornout]

This Space Available, E-Mail Me If Interested.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2006 at 10:04 PM

Yes, this is the terrain between Shell Island and the rest of Baja, at low tide!!! If you veer just a bit from the compressed tracks, you get into the muck!

I was stuck overnight in that place in my second Subaru driving in on a moonless night in 1980!

Neal Johns also had the same experience!

BUT, when you get past the mud... one of Baja's finest beaches... and usually all to yourself... (13" tires at 10 psi, made this a super sand bug, as Tom Miller bragged in his writings about Subaru in Baja)...

[Edited on 4-4-2006 by David K]

bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2006 at 10:09 PM

This was in the spring after we had some rain a week or two before. Going from Percebu across the flats to Santa Maria. Didn't need high tide for this fun.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
ursidae69
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2006 at 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by gringorio
Has anyone seen this or know of anyone who has done this modification? For what I do this would make my car the ultimate Baja vehicle? What?s yours?

Greg, I know a guy who put one of these lifts on his Forester and it helped on the GC. It's worth a try.
gringorio
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2006 at 10:55 AM
springs

Cool,

I just ordered the Scorpion springs that will give a 2" lift without having to do the whole lift kit thing and I've a mechanic lined up to install them.

I'll be working in the field near Baja this summer and hope to make a few exploratory trips to the Delta area as well as exploring inland between Puertecitos and Bahia Gonzaga.

Like David K mentioned, I wonder how the lift will change the handling at highway speeds... I figure it won't matter as long as I'm speeding toward baja!

:lol:
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 4-5-2006 at 10:46 PM

Greg,

Outfitting your Subaru makes about as much sense as me throwing spinning rims on my Rubicon and calling it a "Chick Magnet." Don't waste the money on an AWD vehicle. You will only get yourself stuck in the heat and have to hike out.

Toyota has recently produced the new Cruiser LJ which is not a truck, and you will be able to lock your valuables inside of the vehicle while enjoying a 4WD rig that can actually take you down those rough dirt roads you envision.

Some necessities you will need to also consider to prep your new vehicle for the actual rigors of backcountry travel include:

1) a CO2 setup like the products by Quick Air/Oasis.
2) Also, you will need to purchase a set of tire plugs, along with a can or two of "Fix-A-Flat."
3) You will also need a jack suitable for changing your tires off road as your street setup will only leave you stranded. I would recommend the new X-Jack which is a large balloon-type contraption which attaches to your exhaust pipe.

http://www.rubicon4x4.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_...

This product requires 2" of clearance under your vehicle to operate, however.

4) Tires are another issue. Be sure to outfit your tires for adequate travel off road. 4 Wheel Parts and America's Tire sell mud-terrain tires which might fit your Subaru, but then again, I am not sure as it is an AWD grocery-getter with 13" or 14" wheel diameter, and not an actual "Off-Roader" vehicle of choice. With a 15" diameter wheel, you will have a better choice of tires as traction and clearance will be your number one concerns. Hence, back to the pickup or SUV vehicle...

[Edited on 4-6-2006 by Ken Cooke]

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 4-6-2006 at 10:14 AM

I guess it's possible that the Sub has a fairly low 1st gear (especially if it's a 5 speed) that could get you thru some decent sand if you air down. Why not perform a test on some sections of sand with a rescue vehicle nearby? The deserts east of LA and SD have good places to try.

Carry a tow strap and identify a place in the front and back where it can be attached w/o damaging your vehicle. Then, go for it.

I was amazed at how well my old 24 foot RV (weighing about 11k) would do in sand, simply with aired down dually tires in back. You (all of us) might be surprised by the Sub in a series of controlled tests.

If it fails your requirement, consider getting a used 4wd Rav 4. They have pretty much taken the mantle from Subaru's old legacy.
jimqpublic
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2006 at 03:14 PM

We have a '96 Outback (2.2, 5 spd) and it always amazes me. Except for some leaky seals after the reformulated gas came out and an alternater replaced under recall NOTHING has broken on the car.

We bought the Scorpion lifting springs for the rear only when we started towing a trailer. The trailer now gets pulled by a 2004 Forester XT. We just got back from a camping trip to Baja with the Outback packed to the gills (and the roof piled high). The rear springs made a difference on the road to Laguna San Ignacio. We also have KYB GR2 struts, engine & rear diff skid plates.

Like I said it keeps amazing me. I think that it shouldn't be as tough as it seems to be.

The biggest concern is tires. There isn't a huge amount of wheelwell clearance and I haven't seen any "offroad" type tire with strong sidewalls that will fit the 15" rims. I am planning to check and see if 14" rims can be fit- then the tire choices open up.

If the Outback is what you have, and you're willing to possibly break it, it is a good vehicle for the Baja combination of long highway miles and some rough roads.

Jim
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 4-6-2006 at 03:36 PM
My son runs his stock 2005 Subaru "Baja"-----

-----which is essentially an "Outback", letting some air out, and I am amazed where he manages to go in that thing. He is used to driving his toyota FJ-40, so he knows 4-wheel driving. Great little car, but you have to be careful on ground clearance. He takes that Subaru up jeep trails in the Inyo Mountains of E. Ca. where I would never take my F-250 Ford 4x4. So far, so good. His is the automatic. Oh, but he is also "crazy", so maybe his feats don't count, or are at least "suspect". :lol:

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.